Non-motoring > The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 8

The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - Duncan
Walking over Westminster Bridge this morning, I was amazed at the number of groups running the 'Find The Ball' game. There must have been fifteen or more.

The leader puts a small ball under one of three egg cups, shuffles them and then invites passers-by to say which cup the ball is under and bet on the result. There was serious money changing hands, but as far as I could see it all seemed to be going in one direction. Other members of the leaders group pretend to also be passers-by and inveigle members of the public to part with their money.

Later I was speaking to a police sergeant on Parliament Square and he said they have teams of police who raid these gangs from time to time.

Link to youtube clip of shell game on Westminster Bridge:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM61RPgUYIM
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - CGNorwich
Watched a similar scam in operation in Gran Canaria last week. Must have hung around too long as was warned off in no uncertain terms by one of the minders. Why are people so gullible? Geeed I suppose.
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - legacylad
Saw this on the prom in Benidorm a few weeks ago. We stay further up the coast but after car rental changeover at Alicante called in to see friends who were spending a long weekend in Villajoyosa and decided to spend an hour in Beni with them.
Seemingly Eastern European’s with lookouts for local police. Why anyone would bet on this scam beggars belief.
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - Crankcase
The shell game has been taking money for at least 2500 years, so it's pretty unlikely the gullible will ever learn.
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - Zero
First saw this for real, the find the lady card version, in Oxford Street, 1971.

Yes the shell game was being played in ancient greece.

Third thing invented after money and prostitution.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 29 Mar 19 at 19:36
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - sooty123
Must take some practice to get that good with their hand skills.

I think some people almost don't mind being scammed out of money, as long as it isn't too much. Perhaps they see it as a bit of fun, some entertainment and/or a bit of magic all rolled into one.
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - bathtub tom
I know someone who came here to uni from Czechoslovakia back in the '60s, before the commies took over. They lost all their money on this scam and spent the next few years in poverty. They thought it looked like an easy way to make money - they're still pretty gullible!
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - Runfer D'Hills
That's mildly surprising, I wouldn't have thought those sort of businesses would take Czechs...
 The 'Shell' Game - Find The Lady - MD
Funny.
Latest Forum Posts