Non-motoring > Steak sizes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 12

Steak sizes - Crankcase
We were in an hotel this morning for a coffee. On the way out I noticed a menu on the desk. Amongst many other things they were offering steaks.

Anyone care to guess the largest size available, and for fun, the price? Hint - I might be out of touch with portion sizes.
 Steak sizes - Zero
30 ounces, 30 quid.
 Steak sizes - sooty123
In a hotel I'd say 48oz for £65.
 Steak sizes - Kevin
We used to go to a restaurant just outside Austin. The largest steak they did was 32oz. Can't remember the price but if you finished it with all the trimmings it was free. Very few people had done it.
 Steak sizes - Crankcase
Well ok then, as you're all in the right area it's a bit feeble to keep you guessing. It was 32oz, which seemed entirely extraordinary to me, but it looks as if that's not actually unusual after all.

It was £57 by the way.

We just had two small coffees, a Danish and a slice of apple cake. That was £18.30. They were, however, Very Nice Indeed.

It was the George at Stamford.

Steak sizes - Zero

>> It was the George at Stamford.

Have dinner at the George, the garden room, twice a year for a kind of celebration. Been doing so since about 2004. The bill used to be 70 quid for two, last September it was £110.

Best prawn cocktail in the country.

Not far from you, or there, is the Falcon at Fotheringhay. Give that one a crack.
 Steak sizes - Crankcase
Thanks for that. There's a good walk at Fotheringay we do sometimes, so will pop in for a soda water.

The head chef at The George a few years ago left and came to be head chef at our College, when I was working. I had to give up lunches as I was putting on about seven stone a week.

Incidentally, there was such a thing as a free lunch, which made it even more painful not to partake every day.

Steak sizes - Zero
>
>> The head chef at The George a few years ago left and came to be
>> head chef at our College, when I was working. I had to give up lunches
>> as I was putting on about seven stone a week.

Yes the menu dipped a bit after he left, its come back but still not quite as good.
 Steak sizes - CGNorwich
How strange. I was looking to book a room at the at the George for next month. Never stayed there before. I quite like visiting English towns and cities for a day or two
 Steak sizes - Crankcase
>> How strange. I was looking to book a room at the at the George for
>> next month. Never stayed there before. I quite like visiting English towns and cities for
>> a day or two

Stamford used to be a lovely little town with bookshops and independent pleasant shops too. Then it changed to the inevitable rash of charity shops, fast food places and no bookshops.

I'm pleased to say it's back as before, somehow, with a bunch of coffee shops, a couple of bookshops, a few charity shops (where today I picked some good vinyl and DVDs), and the usual handbag and scarf shops that Mrs C likes. It was heaving today, market day, and lots of people were having picnics on the green spaces by the river as it was so hot. Fridays they also do free guided tours of the Town Hall, which is an interesting place.

And of course it has the utterly wonderful Burghley House. We had our picnic in The Sculpture Garden there which is replete with weird wooden horses, coloured spinning things and so on. They were building what looked like it's going to be a full sized crashed spitfire or similar. Bit hard to tell as it was still being assembled like a giant Airfix kit.
 Steak sizes - Zero

>> And of course it has the utterly wonderful Burghley House. We had our picnic in
>> The Sculpture Garden there which is replete with weird wooden horses, coloured spinning things and
>> so on. They were building what looked like it's going to be a full sized
>> crashed spitfire or similar. Bit hard to tell as it was still being assembled like
>> a giant Airfix kit.

Love the sculpture garden, it is sufficiently wierd, clever, amusing, and WTF, and you can take the dog in.

Taught my dog to track in the grounds of Burghley
 Steak sizes - zippy
I think some restaurants and hotels take the proverbial when it comes to steak prices.

I recently stayed at a nice hotel on a DBB basis and they had a very nice menu. Steaks were a surcharge on the menu and priced separately, something like £15 surcharge and £19 alone which either undervalued the standard fayre on the menu or overcharged for the steaks.

Most times I like a medium rare rump with a peppercorn sauce and triple cooked chips, though a rib-eye often hits the spot too, especially with that very tender piece on the edge (what's that called?).

I have homemade seafood risotto simmering and I now really want a very red juicy steak :-(

Steak sizes - CGNorwich
Very seldom order steak in a restaurant. Not my favourite dish anyway and I always feel it’s one of those things that easy to cook at home. I prefer to pay for something a bit more complex to prepare when dining out.

Latest Forum Posts