Non-motoring > TV purchase Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 87

TV purchase - Runfer D'Hills
The TV in our sitting room is broken. Sound still works but no picture. No idea why, except it's really very old and was cheap so it's probably just dead.

I hardly ever watch the thing, but my wife does, so it'll have to be replaced. We certainly don't need one the size of a Nissan Micra, or one that competes with the local Odeon for picture quality, just a good useable telly really.

Now I do know enough about cars to choose a Toyota over a Renault, but when it comes to TVs I haven't the foggiest.

Budget isn't really the issue, although I suppose I don't want to spend squillions, but are there any basic things you should know or take into account when choosing a new one? Makes that are better than others sort of thing?

Be gentle with me and go easy on the confusing acronyms !

Thanks in advance.
 TV purchase - henry k
>>.....but are there any basic things you should know or take into account when choosing a new one?
SWMBO likes it ?
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 4 Apr 19 at 15:41
Actually, you know what Henry, that might just be the right answer, let her choose one and I'll contribute by going to fetch it !
 TV purchase - CGNorwich
No need to collect it. Take a trip to John Lewis. Let wife decide what TV she likes. A knowledgeable salesman will tell her all she needs to know while you have a coffee in their very nice cafe. They will deliver it free and even install it for a a small sum.

Ah, ok, so you don't think cheerily suggesting she just pops one in her trolley next time she's in Sainsburys is going to be enough? As in I might have to feign at least passing interest?

I'll work on refining that a bit.

;-)

TV purchase - Zero
The JLP option is the way to go, You (she) gets bonus points on your JLP card (you do have one, right?), she gets taken out to a very nice store, you get a light luncheon, and the brownie points bank will explode with deposits.
Hmm, ok, I'm sort of there.

But to put the question another way, what would be the TV equivalent of a mid range Ford Focus? You know, sort of adequate at most things, not hugely expensive, pleasant enough and unlikely to break down?
 TV purchase - Zero

>> But to put the question another way, what would be the TV equivalent of a
>> mid range Ford Focus? You know, sort of adequate at most things, not hugely expensive,
>> pleasant enough and unlikely to break down?

Assuming you are not heavily into smart TV's (connected to your home network, streaming Netflix, browsing youtube). a basic 32inch HD 1080p Panasonic, LG, Samsung.

www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue32m5520-led-full-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-inch-with-tvplus-dark-grey/p3321319

www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-32l3863db-led-full-hd-1080p-smart-tv-32-inch-with-freeview-hd-freeview-play-black/p3585618

Thanks Z, I can now truthfully say those are recommended models !
 TV purchase - MD
>> Hmm, ok, I'm sort of there.
>>
>> But to put the question another way, what would be the TV equivalent of a
>> mid range Ford Focus? You know, sort of adequate at most things, not hugely expensive,
>> pleasant enough and unlikely to break down?
>>
(Brake) down surely. This is, after all, a Motoring Forumnnnnnnn.
 TV purchase - Dulwich Estate II
Whichever model you choose be prepared for it to be a so called smart TV loaded with apps on the screen - it'll look far more complicated that it really is. It's pretty much impossible to buy a plain vanilla TV these days.
If the missus considers anything about sound quality being important then listen to a few as well as watch them - the sound quality on some can be dire.
I was afraid of all that Dulwich !
 TV purchase - sherlock47
JL everytime - comes with a 5 year warranty. And when you find it cheaper on sale at real retailer you can claim the difference back with no problems! Surprising how many mainstream retilers still only off 2 year warranty.

I am a Sony house - it increases the chance of finding a controller that can turn on/off or change channels. But somehow SWMBO does not understand that you need the correct controller to access the the super features.

You can look at Richer Sounds (6 year warranty) and JL will match price anyway.

If you do not want the latest technology you will be satisfied (amazed) by a 2 year old model at a large discount. JL openbox returns also get the 5 year warranty at big discounts.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 4 Apr 19 at 16:13
I like the "d" word Sherlock !
 TV purchase - RichardW
I stood in front of a TV in J-L, thinking

a) that's a really nice picture
b) that TV is so big I would have to extend my lounge to get it in.

Then I looked at the price. £4.5k FFS!!! My total spend on TVs in the last 20 years is £200 (but I did cheat slightly as the current 32" flat screen Sony was inherited - now >10 years old).
Well, the last one we had, ( the one that disnae work now ! ) was bought entirely with Nectar points one Christmas long ago. Can't think it would have cost much even if money had been required.
 TV purchase - Zero
Just go to JL, pick one the right size, nice picture. Job done.
 TV purchase - Fullchat
32" seems a bit stingy. But I suppose it depend on the size of your room and viewing distance.
 TV purchase - Zero
>> 32" seems a bit stingy. But I suppose it depend on the size of your
>> room and viewing distance.

I think he is coming from a 21 inch CRT from the sound of it. 32" will look huge!

Plus he is a tight git, it is for 'er after all.
 TV purchase - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I think he is coming from a 21 inch CRT from the sound of it.
>> 32" will look huge!
>>
>>

.....and colour is going to come as a hell of a shock......
I was in your neck of the woods today T&E. Well, Doncaster anyway. It was quite sociologically interesting I suppose. Unique in many ways...

It was early in the day, so I didn't actually have to throw chunks of raw meat out of the car windows to keep the locals off, but I'd be reluctant to try being there at night.

;-)
...I worked in Doncaster for a while. The natives were restless even then.

You certainly didn't want to go in the local pub when the girls from S R Gent's clothing factory were on their break. (makes me shudder to even think of it - even this far down the line).

TV purchase - MD
>> ...I worked in Doncaster for a while. The natives were restless even then.
>>
>> You certainly didn't want to go in the local pub when the girls from S
>> R Gent's clothing factory were on their break. (makes me shudder to even think of
>> it - even this far down the line).
>>
Were you their manager then TE.

>> >>
>> Were you their manager then TE.
>>

...even considering the possibility almost 50 years on brings me out in a cold sweat......

TV purchase - Kevin
Trivia Alert

The owner of S R Gent lived in the same village as my parents. He had a succession of Ferraris with (IIRC) the number plate "HE 8" No idea why because his name was Peter Wolf.

He opened a "Factory Outlet" next to his factory in Worsborough, Barnsley where you could buy M&S clothing (minus the label) at a discount. Arthur Scargill lived nearby and a colleague once claimed he'd seen Arthur buying his Y-fronts there.

Back as you were...
 TV purchase - Fullchat
During those heady days of the Miners Strike we were providing Mutual Aid to South Yorks (as were most other Forces). For some reason we were outside Arthur's house. Someone may be able to remind me where that was. Mrs Scargill came out of the drive and I greeted her with "Morning Mrs S". Her stare would have melted a polar ice cap :S.
 TV purchase - sherlock47
>>During those heady days of the Miners Strike we were providing Mutual Aid to South Yorks<<

It maybe an urban myth, but I have heard it said that the Miners strike overtime bill funded the property price boom in the Met area.
 TV purchase - Zero

>> It maybe an urban myth, but I have heard it said that the Miners strike
>> overtime bill funded the property price boom in the Met area.

Dont know about that, but there was a shortage of donuts at every motorways services between Hendon and Sheffield
 TV purchase - Haywain
"but there was a shortage of donuts at every motorways services between Hendon and Sheffield"

My sister lived and still lives in Nottingham near to a genuine factory outlet that mainly sold high quality shirts. She said that the shop was practically stripped bare by coppers spending their overtime cash.
 TV purchase - Zero

>> My sister lived and still lives in Nottingham near to a genuine factory outlet that
>> mainly sold high quality shirts. She said that the shop was practically stripped bare by
>> coppers spending their overtime cash.

Quite a few stopped wearing white met shirts, for blue provincial force shirts. They made less of a target.
 TV purchase - Duncan
>> It maybe an urban myth, but I have heard it said that the Miners strike
>> overtime bill funded the property price boom in the Met area.

Well, if you ask any retired coppers they will tell you that they did well from overtime during the miners strike. The same must have applied to the other forces around the country?

My lasting memory is of an evening at my rugby club, which is situated not very far from Isleworth where the NCB(?) had offices. I realised that someone was standing at the door leading into the bar, I went to see who it was and realised it was a police sergeant of my acquaintance. He came in with about 20 PCs. Refreshments were enjoyed!
 TV purchase - smokie
Not dissing your story but I worked for the NCB at the Victoria HQ at the time of the miners strikes (74 onwards anyway) and I don't recall an office at Isleworth. There was one in harrow. I think I would have remembered one in Isleworth as I later got a job at an IT company there, and I'd never heard of it or been there before. I could, of course, be wrong...

EDIT it was quite lively at the HQ during the Scargill/MacGregor times, when the miners were brought down by the coachloads to picket. We also had the British Steel HQ right next door. The whole road could be full of people and we were not able to access the offices on occasions. Quite scary too at times...
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 6 Apr 19 at 12:00
 TV purchase - Duncan
>> I could, of course, be wrong...
>>

And so could I.

The event at the rugby club definitely happened. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks with me regarding the location of said offices, or whose offices they were?
 TV purchase - Zero

>> EDIT it was quite lively at the HQ during the Scargill/MacGregor times, when the miners
>> were brought down by the coachloads to picket. We also had the British Steel HQ
>> right next door. The whole road could be full of people and we were not
>> able to access the offices on occasions. Quite scary too at times...

During a similar time, I had to cross the picket lines at the FT when the print unions were at their most volatile.
>> I could, of course, be wrong...
>>
>> EDIT it was quite lively at the HQ during the Scargill/MacGregor times, when the miners

discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4720816
 TV purchase - Duncan
>> Not dissing your story but I worked for the NCB at the Victoria HQ at
>> the time of the miners strikes (74 onwards anyway) and I don't recall an office
>> at Isleworth. There was one in harrow. I think I would have remembered one in
>> Isleworth as I later got a job at an IT company there, and I'd never
>> heard of it or been there before. I could, of course, be wrong...

I am glad my brain hasn't completely gone.....

www.nature.com/articles/177958a0

Mines Research Establishment, Isleworth.
 TV purchase - smokie
I remember the Mining Research and Development Establishment as being in Stanhope Bretby, somewhere up north. There were some odd bits in other places - Harrow was the Operational Research Executive IIRC - Coal House, Lyon Road, Harrow was its address I think.

UPDATE Since writing the above I found a few bits which might indicate it moved from Isleworth in 1969 - here's one. archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/3ee056c5-11fc-322d-b864-50823258df3b and from this article www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/FBC/CRE_history.html this quote

"...Mining Research was then carried out at a 'sister' NCB research establishment entitled MRDE (Mining Research and Development Establishment), located at Bretby, near Burton-on-Trent, Derbyshire. MRDE was responsible for research into, and the testing of, mining equipment and mining procedures, and was appropriately located near to the Midlands, Nottingham, Lancashire and Yorkshire coal fields. The author understands that MRDE was an amalgamation of the original Mining Research Establishment at Isleworth from 1952 (perhaps this refers to CRE II?), and the Central Engineering Establishment at Bretby. These merged in 1969."

So I think it's safe to say neither of our memories are playing tricks on us :-)

Last edited by: smokie on Sat 6 Apr 19 at 14:37
 TV purchase - sooty123
>> Well, if you ask any retired coppers they will tell you that they did well
>> from overtime during the miners strike. The same must have applied to the other forces
>> around the country?

Yes they did just as well, friends and family were in the policd around the time of the strike and there was plenty of overtime about, as much as you could want.
 TV purchase - Fullchat
There was indeed plenty of overtime about. That's ok in short bursts but it went on for almost a year. 16 hour days with some very early starts. A lot of sitting about 'on standby' doing nowt.
Unfortunately some got too used to the enhanced pay packets, upped there financial burdens accordingly and then got bitten when it came to an end.
I still have my best pay slip from 1984 somewhere.
 TV purchase - Kevin
>Someone may be able to remind me where that was.

I remember my colleague saying that he used to visit a pub in Worsborough Dale and Arthur lived across the road but moved to a more private (and substantial) location in Worsborough to get away from the media hounds camped out in the pub. Can't remember the name of the pub though.

I don't know what it's like now, but in those days some parts of Worsborough had a reputation of being a bit rough. Probably because of it's proximity to the Kendray council estate where most of Barnsley's petty criminals seemed to live.
 TV purchase - smokie
Wasn't there a strong whiff that Arthur had his hand in some till or other (a miners compensation fund rings a bell) - after I'd left the industry though so I wasn't that interested.
 TV purchase - Duncan
>> Wasn't there a strong whiff that Arthur had his hand in some till or other
>> (a miners compensation fund rings a bell) - after I'd left the industry though so
>> I wasn't that interested.

Then, of course, there was his NUM flat in The Barbican.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scargill-makes-1m-on-cut-price-council-flat-82qv555fb
 TV purchase - Zero
>> Wasn't there a strong whiff that Arthur had his hand in some till or other
>> (a miners compensation fund rings a bell) - after I'd left the industry though so
>> I wasn't that interested.

Something along the lines that he got an exclusive deal for a single firm of solicitors to act between the miners and the injury compensation board, solicitors that charged a lot of fees out of the compo, it was never known how much he creamed off.

For an avid communist, he was a terribly personal capitalist
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 7 Apr 19 at 08:27
 TV purchase - Bromptonaut
>> Something along the lines that he got an exclusive deal for a single firm of
>> solicitors to act between the miners and the injury compensation board, solicitors that charged a
>> lot of fees out of the compo, it was never known how much he creamed
>> off.

Issue with Solicitors still keeps cropping up in Law Society Gazette. Was never a lawyer but it's good for professional news.

Would need to read into it further to see whether story about 'Scargill's Slice' holds water.

First recall AS on telly when, shortly after he was elected in Yorkshire, there was a nasty mine accident on his patch. At that point he was quite impressive but I think he went off later.

Way too far left for me politically but he was interesting to hear as a thorn in side of the establishment.
 TV purchase - Duncan

>> It was early in the day, so I didn't actually have to throw chunks of
>> raw meat out of the car windows to keep the locals off, but I'd be
>> reluctant to try being there at night.
>>
>> ;-)

I would have thought with your goatee, that you would have been safer at night?
 TV purchase - Zero
>>
>> >> It was early in the day, so I didn't actually have to throw chunks
>> of
>> >> raw meat out of the car windows to keep the locals off, but I'd
>> be
>> >> reluctant to try being there at night.
>> >>
>> >> ;-)
>>
>> I would have thought with your goatee, that you would have been safer at night?
>>

He could have earned a few quid in certain areas.

TV purchase - R.P.
The tethered goatee ?
Big-ish room I suppose, but the old TV wouldn't be any bigger than that. Not sure either of us would want a telly that dominated an area of the room. Might be wrong of course.
 TV purchase - Falkirk Bairn
Toshiba 32" - £199 inc 5 yr warranty

www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Televisions-Projectors/Toshiba-32W3864DB-32-Inch-HD-Ready-SMART-TV-in-White/p/266042
Thanks FB
 TV purchase - Manatee
Trouble is programmes are now made for bigger TVs.

We had a 26" flat panel which I was happy with but it was impossible to read the captions on the F1. Got a 42" Sony a while back which at first looked enormous but is actually about right, and now smaller than most people are buying for their main TV room.

It is actually 'smart' but that's almost unnecessary, just get a firestick for the catch up, netflix etc,

I also bought a £100 soundbar - not hifi but a vast improvement and can be used as a bluetooth speaker.
I know we have a fire stick thingy. I don't know how to work it but those who feel they need to do.
 TV purchase - Zero
>> Trouble is programmes are now made for bigger TVs.

Some of them, wander off the main big 5 channels, to some of the lesser but very interesting ones, and the bit rate falls alarmingly to the extent that on big TV screens they look like those modern art masterpieces made with monkey feet. Fuzzy and blotchy is an understatement.
 TV purchase - Zero

>> I also bought a £100 soundbar - not hifi but a vast improvement and can
>> be used as a bluetooth speaker.

I use a JBL creature

www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Creature-Audio-Speaker-System/dp/B0001DQ5YG

That I got for 35 quid on ebay. Two small discrete tweeters is all thats on show with the base unit hidden behind the stand
 TV purchase - martin aston
Smart TVs are very simple to use and cost very little more. And if you have broadband with wifi it'd be a waste not to buy one rather than a dumb version. As real-time broadcast TV gets steadily worse its a great way of getting access to good programmes, old and new, at a time to suit you. I suggest you don't need4k, HD is fine for normal use and viewing distances.

You soon get used to "large" screens and 40" will soon seem normal if you go for one.

I agree with previous comments re sound quality and a soundbar or separate speaker is a good investment. If you want to stick with just the TV some are much better than others. My inlaws bought a Sharp 40" from Tesco a year ago and the sound is not bad. The box had something about it coming with one of the big speaker companies' technology. It might have been Mordant Short? Anyway its fine. Many others I find just unlistenable as they are so tinny.
 TV purchase - Lygonos
I got a Sharp 40 or 42 from Tesco.

Was about 240 quid and had Harmon Kardon sound tech.

It is by far the best of my various TVs for sound and can actually throw out very decent volume.

My Panasonic seems to offer virtually no extra volume going from around 45% to full bhuna.
 TV purchase - martin aston
Lygonos, thanks I am sure you are right it is Harmon Kardon. At least I got a couple of letters right!
 TV purchase - No FM2R
>> No need to collect it. Take a trip to John Lewis.....

Spot on advice.
 TV purchase - bathtub tom
I use Freeview to listen to the radio (wireless?) and if I need better quality, I direct it through my old amplifier bass box and speakers, a spaghetti of wiring behind the telly, amp, PVR, DVD player and cassette recorder.
Yes I've still got a cassette recorder, invaluable for recording R4 plays that I listen to on an old cassette player whilst faffing about in the garage.
Reminds me, I must give the Yaris an oil and filter change now the special tool to remove the filter housing's arrived. Why do I need a special tool for what used to be a simple job?
 TV purchase - R.P.
When we moved here and setting up the "thinking room" (aka Bedroom 2) I blew the dust off my old Yamaha tape deck and wired into my Hi-Fi...I actually love it, the radio programmes I recorded back in the 70s are occasionally played, that it actually produces a decent sound after so long is impressive
 TV purchase - Rudedog
We still have our first LCD TV as our main one that we bought back in 2007.

It's only a 32 inch and our kids take the mick all the time, it's a Sony Bravia and at the time was promoted because it shows programmes in 24 fps, plus even now I think it has excellent colour compared to some of the garish new TVs displayed in the shops (I never bought into the whole 'the blackist black', nature is just not like that).

TV purchase - VxFan
We replaced our 12 yr old LG 26" LCD TV last year as I was unable to extend the life by repairing it again. I'd already replaced the failed capacitors on the power supply PCB, which gave another ~5 years service from it. 5 yrs on from that repair though the HDMI and Scart sockets suddenly would no longer accept an input reliably and the picture would often flash on and off.

We replaced it with a 32" Sharp model. Yes, it's a smart TV, but now I wish I had bought the slightly cheaper non smart model and connected up an Amazon Firestick instead. It only has BBCi Player installed, YouTube, Netflix, but it doesn't have the ITV Hub, Ch4 or Ch5 Apps.

Also the sound is awful. Must get a sound bar sometime for it. Music blares out far too loud and drowns out voices. Adverts are the same. We're forever fiddling with the volume. I've tried all the sound settings in the menu, and even tried customising my own. Spoke to Sharp because I thought it might have a fault, to be told that it's normal and all TVs are like that now!

I wish I had spent longer looking around now, instead of buying it on impulse because Tesco were doing an offer on it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 5 Apr 19 at 13:05
 TV purchase - Bobby
Humph, I may not know the difference between all the latest sound and picture qualities. But I do know the difference with remotes.

If you are using through Sky or Virgin remote fair enough. Friend got a Toshiba from Richer sounds and not only is the sound distorted, but she hates the remote.

Quite simply, on the TV guide, it doesn’t allow you to scroll through page by page. So you need to use down arrow to go through every channel.

Might be things like this that will irritate the missus so let her try one out.
 TV purchase - Ambo
Take viewing distance into account. I got this from the web not long ago:

6’ 26” screen

9’ 39”

10’ 47”-56”

14’ 56”

15’ 55” plus

17’ + Get largest affordable

OTOH I have generally regretted not buying a bigger set after a few months' use, regardless of recommendations. Re John Lewis, they charged me £34.99 extra for installation two years ago and would have wanted about £15 to take the old set away (but I kept it for another room).
 TV purchase - Lygonos
TV dies. Doesn't become un-dead after 5 minutes turning on/off.

Go to Tesco.

Buy TV that's big enough and about 250 quid having checked reviews on phone.

Stick box behind front seats of car.

Drive home.

Unbox - set up - turn on.

No more than 40 minutes start->finish.

Job jobbed.

LED TVs weigh sod all compared to CRT - why worry about delivery?
 TV purchase - Ambo
I see the John Lewis website now has a TV buying guide, which may help.
 TV purchase - Bobby
Our couch is about 10 ft away from our 55” tv.
Sometimes when watching non HD it can seem a bit fuzzy but HD are perfectly fine for that distance.
 TV purchase - Zero
>> Our couch is about 10 ft away from our 55” tv.
>> Sometimes when watching non HD it can seem a bit fuzzy but HD are perfectly
>> fine for that distance.

Scottish football is best seen as fuzzy as possible.
 TV purchase - R.P.
Scottish football is best seen as fuzzy as possible.

As is English Rugby ;-)
 TV purchase - MD
>> Our couch is about 10 ft away from our 55” tv.
>> Sometimes when watching non HD it can seem a bit fuzzy but HD are perfectly
>> fine for that distance.
>>
Couch. Lovely old word..AND I'm NOT taking the 'P'.
>> Couch. Lovely old word..AND I'm NOT taking the 'P'.

Couch

What people from the Black Country call a bus configured for long distance or airport transfer work.
>> Take viewing distance into account. I got this from the web not long ago:
>>
>> 6’ 26” screen
>>
>> 9’ 39”
>>
>> 10’ 47”-56”
>>
>> 14’ 56”
>>
>> 15’ 55” plus
>>
>> 17’ + Get largest affordable

Jeez, how did we manage when 26 inches was as big as they came.......

My 10yo Sharp flatscreen is 17'' because it fits on a shelf in right place. According to that standard I'd need 39''. Never missed anything.
 TV purchase - VxFan
>> But I do know the difference with remotes.

Talking of remotes, my Sky remote will not operate the Sharp TV, like it did with the old LG. Reason being is that the Sharp TV remote is a Bluetooth device and the Sky remote can only be configured for Infra-Red ones.

So back to having 2 remotes on the arm of the chair again.

I don't even think those "one for all" remotes would be any good either as they're all for Infra-Red devices.
 TV purchase - Haywain
"We still have our first LCD TV as our main one that we bought back in 2007.
It's only a 32 inch and our kids take the mick all the time, it's a Sony Bravia and at the time was promoted because it shows programmes in 24 fps, plus even now I think it has excellent colour compared to some of the garish new TVs displayed in the shops"

SNAP! The Sony Bravia 32" was also our first LCD tv, bought in April 2007 from John Lewis in Cambridge for £1099 - I've just found the receipt. A colleague had bought this same model of tv a few months before us for £1500, so when it came down by £400 and our last CRT packed up, we decided to pounce. My son, a cameraman, advised us to wait because the price would drop even further ..... but we needed it 'now'.

My son helped set up the colour balance/contrast by connecting up a camera to the tv and comparing the picture on the tv with a range of coloured objects in front of us. The tv was great - and, two months later, the price dropped by a further £400. Grrr.

The 2007 Bravia was still working fine but, earlier this year, we moved it to a bedroom to make way for a new Sony 43" smart tv. If I want to watch football on the new tv, cast from my iPad, then my wife is happy to go upstairs and watch whatever rubbish she chooses on the old Bravia.

Last edited by: Haywain on Fri 5 Apr 19 at 17:37
 TV purchase - PeterS
I remember buying an LG 17” LCD TV in, I think, 2003 (though it might even have been 2002) for £699. 4 or 5 years later that got you a 26” screen; another 5 years and it got a 42” screen. All of which still work (though not perfectly; the tuner in the 42” one has packed up so it needs a USB dongle thing to access WiFi in order to actually watch anything).

Somewhat embarrassingly last year we (I) bought another new TV. OLED this time, which is 55” And you know what, you soon get use to the size, helped by the fact that where it’s positioned you can’t actually be closer than around 3m to it when seated, and more like 5m for most seats, Should have bought a 65” after all ;) But, I’m led to believe as long as your bookcases are bigger than your TV then it’s okay :p

While all ours are LG, it looks like Samsung recommend (well, they would, wouldn’t they...) an even bigger one!

www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043948/
 TV purchase - sooty123
We went from 28" to 48" from staples as an end of line discount. We thought it might be too big a jump sizewise, it looked big for a few days. After that you really don't notice the size of them. Not sure we could ever go back to a little tiddly TV :-)
 TV purchase - Kevin
The first flat-panel TV I bought was a Sharp 32" that cost around £600 from Currys in the early noughties. I thought it was quite expensive.

While I was wandering around checking out what was available there was a rather large youngish couple in stained tee shirts and jogging pants also looking at TVs. When I'd chosen the Sharp I went and sat with the salesman at a desk to swipe my card and do the paperwork while a gofer fetched it from the warehouse. Over the partition to the next desk I could hear the young couple I'd seen earlier explaining what they got in benefits for a £1500 HP agreement on a top of the range Sony.

The Sharp is still going strong after being given to one of Mrs. K's co-workers who was just setting up home with her girlfriend.

Currently have a 42" Samsung that I later discovered had won WhatHiFi's "Best 42" award a few years ago. Superb picture and the sound is routed through a 5.1 sound system. Considering a larger curved screen at the moment.

Only problem is that I'm not allowed to touch the remotes - "That's what bad boys do!"

TV purchase - bathtub tom
A local radio presenter maintains the size of your TV screen's inversely proportional to your intelligence.
Thanks for all your advice chaps. Apparently, this is what we now "need". I really haven't the strength to argue...

tinyurl.com/y3rmdrlw

Looks like a telly to me, but too big for my taste mind, but what do I know...

Thanks again.
 TV purchase - helicopter
You cannot go wrong with an LG IMO.
We have three in the house , largest being 48 inch screen , a 28 inch in the spare bedroom cum office alongside a 21 inch monitor for the computer.
>>Apparently, this is what we now "need".

www.costco.co.uk/Electronics-Security/Televisions-Projectors/LG-43-4K-Ultra-HD-HDR-Smart-TV/p/275177

£50 cheaper than John Lewis. 5 yr Costco warranty
>>
>> £50 cheaper than John Lewis.........
>>

....and a different, lower-spec model.......
 TV purchase - Haywain
"....and a different, lower-spec model......."

Buying tellies is as difficulty-fraught as buying insurance.
...and, in both cases, lower-spec doesn't necessarily mean worse - it depends on preferences and requirements.

;-)
 TV purchase - Zero
>> "....and a different, lower-spec model......."
>>
>> Buying tellies is as difficulty-fraught as buying insurance.

Indeed, anyone here lumbered with that huge technological dead end, 3D?

I buy my teles on the falling edge of technology, not bleeding edge. So I currently have ace smart capabilities, 4k, led but no HDR, thin frame but not edge to edge, and not curved screen. At about 1/2 the price of the latest and greatest.
 TV purchase - smokie
I have 3D but that wasn't in my requirements list for the telly when we bought it. Only watched the demo stuff one or twice, it is quite impressive but ultimately useless.

I rarely watch in HD either :-)

Nevertheless I am half keen to change the telly but I'm restricted to about 42" (which the current one is) and it has to have a centre stand (rather than feet at each end, or too far apart) in order to sit properly on the cabinet it sits on. Tried a wall mount but she didn't like that.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 7 Apr 19 at 16:41
>>I buy my teles on the falling edge of technology, not bleeding edge.

I buy the outgoing models of cars, TVs, i-phones.................

In a car the early failures will have been sorted by year 5/6, special edition clearance + bigger discounts.
 TV purchase - Fullchat
Apparently 3D is the next big thing :O
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 7 Apr 19 at 16:54
Latest Forum Posts