Non-motoring > Turkish Barbers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 20

Turkish Barbers - Zero
As above, WFT is that all about? Three have opened this year within a 15 minute walking distance of my house, why are they all turning turkish?

Ok I do know, I used to go to one in the 70's in Holborn. Wet shave, cuthroat, hot towels, singed nose and ear hairs, rosewater splash, the lot. He was however a real smelly turk with rotten teeth in pirate style, not out of place in the medina, and charged a fiver.

I assume the new ones are some spotty youth fresh out of YTS, who has never handled a cutthroat, not is he getting anywhere near my skin for an exorbitant 25 quid.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 4 Apr 19 at 16:32
 Turkish Barbers - Runfer D'Hills
I could just about imagine tolerating having my ear hairs singed I suppose, but as I have a goatee and moustache I'd be deeply worried about anyone setting fire to my nose hairs, it feels like that could go very badly wrong. However amusing that might turn out to be to a casual observer or passer-by.
 Turkish Barbers - bathtub tom
I use one in town (handily opposite 'spoons), charges £7 for us poor pensioners. Usually staffed by women. I was horrified to see some poor soul with sticks decorated with brightly coloured feathers up his nostrils - nose hair waxing!
 Turkish Barbers - Bromptonaut
We've got a few in Northampton. Not tempted myself, the chaps/gals over the way from the office do a fine job without appointment and nicely dovetailed into my lunchbreak.

Wasn't Mr de Beast formerly of this parish a fan of Turkish Barbers?
 Turkish Barbers - sherlock47
I thought that the rise in 'Turkish Barbers' was a tactic to shorten the supply lines for 'something for the weekend sir??'

Turkish business' cafes, grocers etc seem very good at investing capital, with a minimal cash take, and not packed with customers. Draw your own conclusions:)
 Turkish Barbers - PeterS
I have to say my thoughts are aligned with Sherlock’s; it’s a step on from car washing; inside, warm and, if you do have a customer, less effort!
 Turkish Barbers - Fullchat
Thought had crossed my mind too.

Couple of main arterial roads towards the city centre are now turned over to a continuous run of supermarkets, restaurants and take aways.
There can only be so much food and groceries that can be consumed.
 Turkish Barbers - CGNorwich
"There can only be so much food and groceries that can be consumed."

A good proportion of the population don't seem to go along with that and are doing thier best to consume as much as possible
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 4 Apr 19 at 20:47
 Turkish Barbers - MD
There is a takeaway in our little town. Cash only. Crap kebabs at an exorbitant price. Interestingly the guy who seems to run the show has just taken on a shop near his and is just paying the rent and leaving it empty to keep any opposition out.
 Turkish Barbers - R.P.
PKK money laundering ? I was friends with an Iranian dissident (an academic) who ran a kebab shop, probably an exception
Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 5 Apr 19 at 09:17
Ah yes selling kebabs is the ideal money laundering operation. These foreigners eh? As if anyone would think they're just trying to make a living.

Take back control!
 Turkish Barbers - R.P.
It was actually flagged up by the intelligence community back in the noughties as a potential source of funding for terrorist groups.
 Turkish Barbers - MD
Sometimes I wonder about you CG. This particular guy has just lobbed out over 100k on another building and is opening an INDIAN. There's not enough £££ coming through the door to make it add up. And they do not take cash. Do not shop locally etc. It has to be laundering at least in part.
Yes of course it does. Absolutely no other explanation. Clearly guilty.
 Turkish Barbers - No FM2R
>> There's not enough £££ coming through the door to make it add up

It's not this simple nor this easy, but in principle;

What will I get if I put £100k in the bank? 4% at most, I should think. So £4k profit per year in my dreams.

If I buy a business for £100k what are the chances of the net profit being more than £4k per year? Pretty good, I'd say. So it makes more sense to put the money in a business rather than the bank. Though of course one has to consider the significantly different risk/reward profile.

The markup on food is around 300%, but of course there's also lots of business costs. There's also savings from you and your family eating in your own restaurant all the time, but then there's lots of work also.

And when done, all things being equal, you can sell the business again and certainly the real estate will have increased in value, and perhaps the business itself also.

Business economics are not as obvious as you might think.

And money laundering makes far less sense than you might think.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 6 Apr 19 at 14:05
 Turkish Barbers - BiggerBadderDave
Bathtub said "Usually staffed by women."

Are we talking about emergency condoms or a brothel?
 Turkish Barbers - bathtub tom
>> Bathtub said "Usually staffed by women."
>> Are we talking about emergency condoms or a brothel?

At my age, I don't have the need for either.
 Turkish Barbers - Bobby
Went to my local one today.

Hair cut, ears burned, beard trimmed and shaped.
Nasal hairs are there for a reason so not getting them out me!

Great cut but no tip, carried on speaking to his mate in Turkish the whole time I was there.
 Turkish Barbers - Manatee

>> Great cut but no tip, carried on speaking to his mate in Turkish the whole
>> time I was there.

Very rude not to ask you whether you have been on your holidays.
 Turkish Barbers - Zero
>> Great cut but no tip, carried on speaking to his mate in Turkish the whole
>> time I was there.

Bu siki amcikla konusmuyorum, geçen sefer bana ipucu vermedi
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Apr 19 at 15:20
 Turkish Barbers - BiggerBadderDave
"Bu siki amcikla konusmuyorum, geçen sefer bana ipucu vermedi"

Glaswegian for "50p for a cup of tea, mister?"
Latest Forum Posts