Non-motoring > Thurnberg & Yousafzai. Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 18

Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-51632654

All you need to know about them and their approach in this one line...

"Ms Thunberg is set to join a school strike in Bristol. Ms Yousafzai is studying politics, philosophy, and economics at the university. "
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - zippy
>>Ms Yousafzai

Has done very well considering her background and history and has done more to poop on the radical islamist idiots than many western politicians.
Whereas Ms. Thurnberg seems set on pulling everybody else's education experience down to the same level as hers.

Easier and comes with more attention I guess.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 25 Feb 20 at 23:30
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - Bromptonaut
I don't think the analysis here is really fair. Apples are being compared with oranges. Aprt from fact that both Malala and Greta are young and non-British and out standing in different ways there's no cuase to compare.

Malala stands in her own right as a Nobel laureate etc etc. Maybe even Pat would recognise that now.

The gibe about Greta and attention seeking is wholly unworthy. Her history and autism are well known and just in case anyone needs a refresher:

www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/23/great-thunberg-malena-ernman-our-house-is-on-fire-memoir-extract

Anybody who can give an apparently of the cuff lecture in a foreign language, never mind at 16/17 deserves recognition. I fear for her in longer term when she's going to burn and crash but I don't think you can blame her for that. If the issue pulled her out of autism and the horrible slope that is an eating disorder I'm not sure I'd judge the parents either.

If my kids had wanted to take part in a one day school strike over and issue as important as Climate Change would have done so with my blessing. The 40 mins each of maths, english and french plus sport won't be missed in the longer term/ . There's so much learning to be has around that one day ranging from the climate science itself to writing about the day, the experience and who was speaking, the history of the demonstration and its place in our democracy.
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - Robin O'Reliant
Her heart is in the right place, but like most of those who are lecturing us about climate change she just doesn't get it. There are too many of us already and we are adding more at the rate of around 250,000 a day.

A serious world wide reduction in breeding is needed, but if it does happen it will be left far to late to avoid the catastrophic consequences we are heading for.
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - CGNorwich
>
>> A serious world wide reduction in breeding is needed, but if it does happen it
>> will be left far to late to avoid the catastrophic consequences we are heading for.
>>

How do you propose achieving that. Compulsory sterilisation? The only known way of stabilising and reducing the population is increasing standards of living and increasing social security and health care.
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - Robin O'Reliant
>> >
>>
>>
>> How do you propose achieving that. Compulsory sterilisation? The only known way of stabilising and reducing the population is increasing standards of living and increasing social security and health care.
>>
>>

I have absolutely no idea as to how to achieve a worldwide reduction in population, neither does anybody else. The Chinese tried and failed to make it work and if a brutal totalitarian government can't do it I don't see how a democracy can. What chance of convincing people all over the world to do it voluntarily? Zilch I would think, at least until the situation has already had massive costs.

But not having an answer does not make the root cause of the problem disappear.

No it doesn’t but if reduction in overall population is not a quick fix then perhaps it indicates the urgency of pursuing other methods of reducing climate change in the iinterim.
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - Zero
>> No it doesn’t but if reduction in overall population is not a quick fix then
>> perhaps it indicates the urgency of pursuing other methods of reducing climate change in the
>> iinterim.

Alas the two are mutually inclusive. Globally nothing will be done on either.

>> The gibe about Greta and attention seeking is wholly unworthy.

I didn't necessarily mean that she was seeking the attention. She is a uneducated, immature girl with challenges.

Do you really believe that she is driving this whole thing? I mean, really? But som4body is. And that person or organization or group desires attention. And that takes you back to my comment.

>> Anybody who can give an apparently of the cuff lecture in a foreign language, never
>> mind at 16/17 deserves recognition.

Either of mine could do that in any of three languages. And from an earlier age. AND they'd know what they were talking about. And again, you don't think Thurnberg is coached? Dear, dear, how hard will you stick to a convenient belief?

>>I fear for her in longer term when she's going to burn and crash but I don't think you can blame her for that.

I don't blame her are all, she's a child. But that doesn't mean it's not someone's fault. Nor does it change what she is and what she's doing, albeit probably not under her own drive.

>>I'm not sure I'd judge the parents either.

In fact UI am sure you wouldn't. But I do. 100% I do. You try and lead my children down a path without my support and see how far you get.

>> If my kids had wanted to take part in a one day school strike over
>> and issue as important as Climate Change would have done so with my blessing.

If they could have explained how it would do any good whatsoever, or at least had been able to explain why they thought it would do good, then perhaps.

But unlikely.

>> The 40 mins each of maths, english and french plus sport won't be missed in the
>> longer term/ . There's so much learning to be has around that one day ranging
>> from the climate science itself to writing about the day, the experience and who was
>> speaking, the history of the demonstration and its place in our democracy.

Naive beyond belief. As well as simplistic and wrong.
Do you really believe that she is driving this whole thing? I mean, really? But som4body is. And that person or organization or group desires attention. And that takes you back to my comment.

Who exactly is driving this this then if it is not Ms Thunberg? Do you have any details or evidence or is it an assumption?
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - Lygonos
>>If they could have explained how it would do any good whatsoever, or at least had been able to explain why they thought it would do good, then perhaps.

Try from a different angle - would the current climate concerns be the same had a 'figurehead' not risen to some prominence amongst the generation who will ultimately be carrying the can?

I don't know either, but to suggest the Thunberg (+/- her supporters) effect has done nothing to push the issue and carry public opinion and political conversation, would surely be the naïve position?
 Thurnberg & Yousafzai. - Manatee
Exactly, it makes no difference whether or not she is an accomplished climate scientist, only what effect she achieves.

To denigrate her for not doing it on her own would also be naive. Of course she hasn't. Who can do anything meaningful without support? Is she being manipulated? Influenced, certainly, but that works well on senior politicians too.

It is what it is, which is probably pretty much what it appears to be. There's plenty of scope for conspiracy theory around climate change on both sides of the argument, but I suspect the big money has been mainly behind the denial/status quo side up to now.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 27 Feb 20 at 11:10
I think you can draw parallels to a certain extent with Emmeline Pankhurst and the women’s mocement. She too beloved that action, even violent action not words were necessary. Widely condemned at the time and arguably her tactics can be seen as counter productive but their is no doubt that she shocked the nation and made it realise that things had to change.
>>To denigrate her for not doing it on her own would also be naive.

I quite agree. It is also equally ridiculous to make her out to be something she is not.
>>
>> Naive beyond belief. As well as simplistic and wrong.

It won't surprise you to know I find that comment way wide of the mark.

First of all I have absolutely no issue with kids missing the odd day at school. It happens from time to time for sickness when schools close for snow. Sometimes the teachers are off and all they get is cover work; non sexist, non racist mixed ability copying from the textbook as one of mrs B's colleagues put it. We took ours out for odd day for family events and particularly to facilitate a full half term week on the Western Isles. They saw and learned stuff in process; wildlife, history (clearnces, crofting, blackhouses etc) even a bit of earth science (rocks, peat etc).

A few odd days in fourteen years, particularly last Friday before holidays, won't break anything.

In Bristol case the schools should turn it to advantage. You've had your day and now you'll pay as it were and ensure that demo is a peg for science, english essays, humanities on demos and campaigns etc etc.

Won't go down well with the schools minister but anything that pees off Chris Gibb is a bonus.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 27 Feb 20 at 12:58
>>Won't go down well with the schools minister but anything that pees off Chris Gibb is a bonus.

And that's your reasoning? Ridiculous. Though unsurprising since political allegiance is so often a driver for you and a decider for your opinions.
>> And that's your reasoning?

Not reasoning, just an observation.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 27 Feb 20 at 13:13
I've been thinking about this for some time, turning it over, and rethinking my position.

I guess it doesn't really matter how annoying someone is, how naive or unrealistic they are, or indeed what I think of their motivation.

The world needs pressure on changing its behaviour, and one way or another Ms. Thurnberg is bringing that, or at least carrying it with her.

I shall put more effort into tolerating the pendulum swinging too far on the basis that probably any movement is better than none.

Latest Forum Posts