Non-motoring > Online garden planner Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 11

Online garden planner - Bobby
Further to my other thread on turf, I am thinking of rejigging the garden area with some slabs , some turf etc.

Is anyone aware of any web site that allows you to create a virtual garden design? Nothing complicated, all rectangles!

Or some online graph paper?
 Online garden planner - Zero

>> all rectangles!

Slaps head. I disown you at this point
Front garden is a rectangle, driveway is a rectangle from that rectangle, as is the grass, as is the shape of the slabs I want to put in :)
 Online garden planner - neiltoo
>>Or some online graph paper

You know, there used to be something like this,
--Was it called graph paper?

you used something called "a pencil" and coloured things called "felt tip pens"!

Seriously, unless you have a little computer graphics experience, it will take longer to design on the computer than build the garden. And you run the risk of getting too involved with the software, and wasting hours.

If you do get to know the software, it can be very interesting.

8o)

>> grass, as is the shape of the slabs I want to put in :)

Slabs are available in all sorts of shapes, sizes and patterns. If you have a rectangle drive, with a rectangle lawn shape, put a circular slab feature in the centre, with a central feature bush or tree.

You don't compound rectangles with more rectangles to meet the rectangle front elevation of your house.

Jeez the only time the Jocks showed any flair for art was when they painted their faces with woad.

(and yes it all stems from Charles Rennie Macintosh who was mostly a straight lines and rectangles kinda fella)
CRM knew sod all about fire prevention!
>> CRM knew sod all about fire prevention!

Extinguishers or hoses are not square. didn't fit in.
A small bush or conifer type thing might actually be good as the dog could use it for cocking his leg against it.
Problem is you introduce that in middle of lawn then you are talking strimming and weeding to the equation. Also it’s only about 3m from living room window so couldn’t be very high at all.

But you now are making me think about a row of small conifers along the edge of grass where it meets the driveway....
 Online garden planner - martin aston
Pampas grass? Might extend your social circle if the urban myth is true.
Last edited by: martin aston on Fri 19 Jun 20 at 12:08
 Online garden planner - Crankcase
I'm using Planet Coaster, a theme park simulation game, a lot. It has an insane amount of detail you can use, including garden type stuff, with plants, features, paving, the whole works.

But I'm not suggesting you do that (though it's endless fun).

However, when I get stuck creatively in the game for an idea for a building or a bit of garden, you can do no better than just a simple google search for images of, in your case, "small garden" or whatever. It really doesn't take long to find something you can adopt, adapt, modify, play with.

Once you start looking, you notice things in other people's properties in the real world, or in paintings or illustrations.

I guess I'm very long windedly saying that the real world is your inspiration, if you just look.

PS if anyone is remotely interested in the capabilities of Planet Coaster, YouTube is awash. Here is one where the chap made a pretty garden in the middle of his theme park. Jump to about 5 minutes in.

You could of course model your own house and gardens pretty accurately and then play with ideas, forgetting the "theme park" bit entirely. Then you can walk the camera around at eye height to see what it looks like.

(Or if you want, you can emphasise the management side of it, selling items, pricing rides, managing queues, and so on more or less forever. If you really want to you can decide how much sugar goes in the coffee.)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_2YG0CyOc

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 19 Jun 20 at 12:16
 Online garden planner - CGNorwich
"Once you start looking, you notice things in other people's properties in the real world, or in paintings or illustration"

i agree. Just find something you like and use that as a model. When it comes to comes to planting do a bit of research on line to make sure whatever you choose is suitable. Remember trees grow!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Fri 19 Jun 20 at 12:43
 Online garden planner - BiggerBadderDave
"You don't compound rectangles with more rectangles to meet the rectangle front elevation of your house."

Indeed. Good design is contrast and surprise like a correctly set passage of text, ornamented by a huge decorative drop cap.

Don't be dreary, Bobby, illuminate your manuscripts.
Latest Forum Posts