Non-motoring > Sometimes we need reminding what's important... Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 30

Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - No FM2R
I recently got dumped with fixing a laptop owned by a Downs Syndrome kid, from a poor family who could not afford professional help.

The laptop was years old and had a screwed up version of W7 Starter as well as being full of more carp than you can imagine.

I rashly promised to return it the next day and ridiculously ended up pulling an all-nighter to get it done.

I returned it to him with more RAM, W10, and everything working with proper anti-malware (which I paid for) and all the other stuff he needed.

I was just forwarded a video clip of him on a Zoom call with his teacher and classmates in a song and dance session. Turns out he had had no contact with anybody other than his Grandmother since the beginning of the apocalypse - so about 3 months.

Pure joy in his face, and very emotional to watch. According to his Grandmother it's been difficult to get him to go to bed because all he wants to do is Zoom song & dance sessions with his classmates.

I cannot tell you how guilty I feel for every whinging comment I both thought and made as I worked on the laptop, which was an utter pain in the a***, as these things can be.

Thankfully he doesn't know, he just knows he got his communication back.

His Grandmother, who is a bit intimidated by having to speak to a foreign gringo, just sent me a small sort of coaster thing that she knitted for me to say thank you.

I am humbled and determined to be better.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 6 Aug 20 at 01:18
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - maltrap
Your good deed is worth far more to you than any amount of money. Well done.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Fullchat
Aww Mark. Lovely story. :)
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - zippy
Mark,

Thanks for sharing an uplifting event in these trying times!

I have not had any personal experience of children with Downs Syndrome.

Miss Z has in both her training and professional life when working in paediatrics and says they are invariably warm, loving, happy and of course without guile.
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 6 Aug 20 at 13:10
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Zero
A fine deed indeed, well done.

Meanwhile, back in the real world

< I am humbled and determined to be better.

I expect to be short-lived.

Sorry
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 6 Aug 20 at 13:18
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Ambo
>>I expect to be short-lived.

I sincerely hope you are wrong, Zero. It seems people generally are when it comes to estimating their own longevity.
>> >>I expect to be short-lived.
>>
>> I sincerely hope you are wrong, Zero. It seems people generally are when it comes
>> to estimating their own longevity.
>

I wasn't suggesting Marks lifespan will be slashed as a result of his generous, and probably gin fuelled good deed, merely that his new found sainthood would fail to survive that long.

About the time of bromps next post I suggest
>< I am humbled and determined to be better.
>
>I expect to be short-lived.

Sad but probably fair. However, I do increasingly do more good things with my time. Most certainly more than I used to.

This is a crap time for fund raising though, I can tell you.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Manatee

>> Miss Z has in both her training and professional life when working in paediatrics and
>> says they are invariably warm, loving, happy and of course without guile.

Perhaps that was her experience but it is not invariable.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Robin O'Reliant
Well done, Mark.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - The Melting Snowman
Yes a lovely story - well done.
I'm very impressed as I wouldn't know where to start with something like that. Change the fuse maybe but that's about it!
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - MD
I have first hand experience of Mark's generosity of time and knowledge. Nuff said.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - James Loveless
I'm sure there's something really, really wrong with me, but every time I re-read this thread I have a strong feeling of nausea.
Stop re-reading it perhaps?
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Netsur
My father died about two weeks ago. He lived overseas and this year I have spent more time with him than at home.

Many people have suggested I have been a wonderful son who has gone above and beyond what others would do for their parents. Really?? OK, I have been able to take the time away from my business as I have a fantastic set of colleagues but I don't feel that I did anything special. Sometimes you have to be reminded that you are a good person. Nothing wrong with that...
Sorry to hear that, Netsur. I do hope it all went as well as possible given the circumstances. .
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 10 Aug 20 at 16:24
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Netsur
>> Sorry to hear that, Netsur. I do hope it all went as well as possible
>> given the circumstances. .
>>

It coud have been a lot harder for both of us, but thankfully he died without pain and I was supported by lots of his friends and the kindness of people in the sort of bureaucracy that makes the Vogons look positively amateur. Thank you for your concern...
"Sometimes you have to be reminded that you are a good person. Nothing wrong with that..."

Agreed. But there is a difference between accepting a compliment and self-promotion.
Oh you silly little man. Stop torturing yourself.
And in case you really are that stupid, rather than simply masquerading as a plank, the point of the story was that I did not do it willingly, or happily. I was, in fact, moaning and whinging throughout.

Hence my guilt when I was shown how it made so much difference to him and the humility when I received the small gift from his Grandmother. And the determination to be better.

Thus, the title; "Sometimes we need reminding what's important..."

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 10 Aug 20 at 22:00
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - VxFan
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=28179&m=611303&v=e

>> I am humbled and determined to be better.

"I expect to be short-lived"

Yep ;)

Moaning and whinging, feelings of humility, determination to be a better person... whatever...

It's just you and your ego plastered over an internet forum.

And it seems I'm the only one here who dares say it. Call me stupid, call me a plank (I don't care); feel free if it makes you feel better, or helps you become that better person you aspire to.
Bless, aren't you the one brave little soul amongst all these people you believe not to be as daring as you.
So, to get this clear: I’m the brave little soul and you’re the one with the big ego that needs to be displayed “amongst all these people”, including telling us you were humbled by the reaction to your good deed and were determined to be better.

(Are there that many here, I wonder? Probably not - so not much of an audience for you, really.)

Sounds about right to me.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - VxFan
Will the pair of you give it a rest please.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Bromptonaut
>> Will the pair of you give it a rest please.
>>

^^^^^^^^

For goodness sake get a room.....
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - zippy
Just seen your post Netsur.

I am really sorry to hear about your loss.

Z
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - MD
>> I'm sure there's something really, really wrong with me, but every time I re-read this
>> thread I have a strong feeling of nausea.
>>
I suspect this day and age you could get some medication for it.
>> >> I'm sure there's something really, really wrong with me, but every time I re-read
>> this
>> >> thread I have a strong feeling of nausea.
>> >>
>> I suspect this day and age you could get some medication for it.

I think glasses can prevent a headache induced headache.
 Sometimes we need reminding what's important... - Dave_
That's a really good thing to have done NoFM2R, I read it out to the good lady and she was quietly impressed that I know someone who'd do that.

I thought of you the other week when I had to arrange shipping for a parcel to Coquimbo. You're a long way away!
Coquimbo is a big place, actually a region. To La Serena I assume?

It´s a nice area up there, I go reasonably often..
Latest Forum Posts