Non-motoring > Jober as a Sudge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 5

Jober as a Sudge - Duncan
I expect Bromp has seen this. he likes a bit of Bailii.

www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2020/2472.html
 Jober as a Sudge - Terry
Who pays the legal costs associated with a foolish waste of time on the part of the appelant.
 Jober as a Sudge - Bromptonaut
What a wonderfully written judgement!!

I assume costs will 'follow the event' and be payable by Ms Pile. Whether she has the resources is another question. The fact that she had solicitors and was represented by Counsel may lead to inference that she was on no win no fee. In that case presumably the solicitor will have taken After the Event insurance and the insurer will pay.
 Jober as a Sudge - Duncan
I am a little surprised that you hadn't already seen it, Bromp?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54211089
 Jober as a Sudge - Bromptonaut
>> I am a little surprised that you hadn't already seen it, Bromp?

Nothing in that BBC report gives much clue about the style in which the Judge chose to write. Having seen it I'm surprised it didn't get more publicity in legal news. However, as it was only delivered on Friday it may have missed the Gazette's deadline.
 Jober as a Sudge - Fullchat
If it were 'No win no fee' I would imagine that there would be a threshold of likelyhood of the case succeeding.
On the face of it you can argue that the Police have a duty of care for the comfort and welfare of its 'guests' and therefore her claims are ridiculous. That is common sense right minded thinking. When you examine supporting legislation, which this case did, it was not quite so clear cut and she was attempting to exploit that, or her legal team were.
In the end common sense prevailed and I hope the bill hurts. But in this crazy world it would not have surprised me if she'd won and got a massive payout from public funds.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 20 Sep 20 at 12:24
Latest Forum Posts