Non-motoring > It gets earlier and earlier..... Car Deals
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 78

It gets earlier and earlier..... - No FM2R
It's spring, about 32 degrees, October, and this was the sight that greeted me at the local DIY place.

8< snip. Link removed at OPs request
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Dec 20 at 02:47
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Bromptonaut
Yup, same in UK. We're currently in the Peak District, several of the tourist shops in Castleton were augmenting Blue John with Christmas stuff.
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - sooty123
They had mince pies in Costco two weeks ago.
No. 7 on the list of food I'd kill for.
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - CGNorwich
OK I’ll ask. What are the top 6? I assume it must include the custard tart.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 19 Oct 20 at 21:27
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - legacylad
Proper fish & chips, curry, gammon egg & chips, curry, Black pudding, curry.
In no particular order....

1. Kebabs
2. Decent cheese
3. Fresh milk
4. HP Sauce
5. Malt Vinegar
6. New potatoes
7. Mince pies
8. Garden peas
9. Bacon
10. Baked beans
11. Fish fingers
12. Gammon steak
13. Cod
14. Decent ham
15. Everything from a Good Deli
16. Brussel sprouts
17. Party rings
18. Cheese & onion crisps
19. Maltesers
20. Hula hoops
21. Murray mints
22. Good Chinese food
23. Good Italian restaurants
24. Dairylea cheese triangles
25. Digestives
26. Sausages
27. Weetabix
28. Marmite
29. Custard
30. Frazzles
31. Gingernuts
32. Hobnobs
33. Beer
34. Pepperami
35. Decent tea
36. Pear drops
37. Liquorice Allsorts
38. Quavers
39. Twiglets
40. Shreddies
41. Mars bars
42. Skips
43. Christmas cake & pudding
I assume none of these foods are available in Chile?
>> I assume none of these foods are available in Chile?
>>

Correct
>> >> I assume none of these foods are available in Chile?
>> >>
>>
>> Correct
>>

Good god man how an earth do you survive, what do they eat out there?? I'll organise a relief column immediately, can you hold out until the snows melt?

Isn't there some sort fixer type local, who can get you this sort of thing? My mate was is kabul for 6 months got no end of UK foods through a local who did some wheeling and dealing.
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Duncan
>> Isn't there some sort fixer type local, who can get you this sort of thing?
>> My mate was is kabul for 6 months got no end of UK foods through
>> a local who did some wheeling and dealing.
>>

There are loads about. People in Australia can't get Marmite - apparently! Though why you would want to completely passes me by.

Here you go www.britishcornershop.co.uk/#
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Zero
>> There are loads about. People in Australia can't get Marmite - apparently! Though why you
>> would want to completely passes me by.

They dont want it! They have Vegemite, which is loads better. There was a Vegemite shortage here recently!

Mind you they do suffer, like a of of places in the world they cant get decent "proper" bacon or sausages. And chocolate, mind you since Mondelez took over Cadbury, we cant get it either!
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 09:22
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Crankcase

>> Mind you they do suffer, like a of of places in the world they cant
>> get decent "proper" bacon or sausages. And chocolate, mind you since Mondelez took over Cadbury,
>> we cant get it either!

Ah, well allegedly Irish Cadbury's Dairy Milk is still the proper stuff. And Amazon certainly have it for sale as Irish Dairy Milk in various sizes.

I'm tempted to splurge a tenner to find out.

>> Ah, well allegedly Irish Cadbury's Dairy Milk is still the proper stuff. And Amazon certainly
>> have it for sale as Irish Dairy Milk in various sizes.
>>
>> I'm tempted to splurge a tenner to find out.

I think you should and report back here.
>> Isn't there some sort fixer type local, who can get you this sort of thing?

Yes. British Corner Shop for example.

Roughly £50 of food will cost another £50 to ship and will cost £100 in import duties. In addition it will take 2 - 3 months to arrive. (10 days to get here, 2 months to clear customs).

When it does finally clear we will be summoned downtown to the government offices responsible. And we will be charged £10 per day storage from the point it is released. Typically it will be 7 - 20 days before are told it has been released.

We must arrive with a complete and certified ingredient list for every item in the shipment.

Including queueing that will take most of a day.

For a small box of stuff the girls will year through in a few days.
About 1 in 3 boxes will never arrive.

We've done iit often, though admittedly not for a few years.

A friend of mine owns and runs a business doing just that. And it is prohibitively expensive.

And even then only a small subset of products is available.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 10:25
mega snip quote!

Bonkers, no idea how you put up with all that nonsense.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 13:16
Why did you think he was out there rioting every weekend?
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Duncan
>> >> Isn't there some sort fixer type local, who can get you this sort of
>> thing?
>>
>> Yes. British Corner Shop for example.

followed by a load of moaning. Dear me, I am not going to quote all that, droning on, and on, and on, and on.

You can have my Marmite - filthy stuff.
Looking at that list there are only fourteen items that I would miss I think. Not even sure what some are. Party Rings are a mystery to me.
>> Looking at that list there are only fourteen items that I would miss I think.
>> Not even sure what some are. Party Rings are a mystery to me.

Clearly you had a deprived childhood

biscuitswin.wordpress.com/2011/07/27/party-rings-the-whys-and-the-wherefores/
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Dog
>> Party Rings are a mystery to me

Possibly available from Ann Summers dot com.
>> Looking at that list there are only fourteen items that I would miss I think.
>> Not even sure what some are. Party Rings are a mystery to me.
>>

What else have you not heard? the only sort of obscure one is frazzles. Crisps btw.
Skips?
>> Skips?
>>

Crisps widely available.

(its at this point someone on here claims they've never eaten any crisps ever).
>> I assume it must include the custard tart.

Custard generally.
We have all those things in t’Dales. Plus local goats cheese.

I’m just not sure we want your type of incumden

Sorry
My type of what?
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Manatee
Offcomer is a synonym.

Awww, how cute. Someone thinks my presence is subject to their approval. Bless.
Chile snowmen.
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - bathtub tom
I'm taking a home made, figgy pud and brandy sauce to share, as soon as the sauce appears in the local supermarket. 'twas made with a good deal of (cheap) brandy.

How's South America?
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - henry k
I buy hot cross buns fro M & S the whole year long. I have done for many years.
I cannot be alone in loving them else they would not be stocked.
I have yet to find better offerings. They freeze really well so I always have some .
The standard pack has four buns but they also do packs of 9 mini buns.
>>I buy hot cross buns fro M & S the whole year long

The ole woman bought some on Saturday. I thought, eh, hot x buns ... in October??

Luved 'em, toasted and topped with butter plus Tiptree tawny orange marmalud (howl, the other half live!)
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - neiltoo
.....Tiptree tawny orange marmalud

Wrong!

Crumbly Lancashire cheese is the correct topping.

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 09:36
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - neiltoo
Although Tiptree marmelade has its place, on hot buttered toast, and in bread and butter pudding (with home made vanilla custard)

Sorry No FM
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 09:38
>> .....Tiptree tawny orange marmalud
>>
>> Wrong!
>>
>> Crumbly Lancashire cheese is the correct topping.
>>
>> 8o)

Cheese? on a hot cross bun?

< SLAP >. pull yourself together man, you are delirious.
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Runfer D'Hills
Hot Kipper sandwiches, on crusty brown bread. Trust me...Oh, and jam and banana sandwiches, on crusty white. You'll never look back.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 11:20
Peanut butter and banana sand witches is a good'n.
Oh, now, that sounds worth a try.

I'll raise you, cheese and banana, and...fish finger and pickled onion sandwiches, with ketchup of course.
>> Oh, now, that sounds worth a try.
>>
>> I'll raise you, cheese and banana, and...fish finger and pickled onion sandwiches, with ketchup of
>> course.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz84GKxy7b0&ab_channel=RodneyDangerfield
>> Hot Kipper sandwiches, on crusty brown bread. Trust me...

Almost, Hot kippers, knob of butter on top, and crusty brown bread to mop up the fishy butter juice,

(Dont forget the Hot fishfinger sarnie with mayo tho)

Oh, and jam and banana sandwiches, on
>> crusty white. You'll never look back.

Tick yes. Try a banana and sugar sarnie too.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 11:31
I'm sorry, I'm not one to complain or refuse to be inclusive, but fish fingers and mayo? Good Lord no, please see above for the perfect fish finger sandwich. I could just about tolerate fish fingers with tartare sauce I suppose, but Mayo? Good grief !
>>Wrong!

>>Crumbly Lancashire cheese is the correct topping

My good man, I'll have you know that I reserve crumbly Lancashire cheese for my homemade organic stone-ground wholewheat bread :)
Right well, if we're going to get serious here, pickled rollmop herrings, hot scrambled egg and hot spinach sandwiches...eh eh? Ha !
If you had to choose a single cuisine for the rest of your life what would you choose

For me

Italian
Then French
Then Turkish

I’m afraid English would be way down albeit slightly above Scottish.

It gets earlier and earlier..... - Bobby
Recently you really are selling us the idea of living in Chile!!

It’s plus points are??
Sicilian , Fantastic mix of junk food italian, classic Italian, and north African.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 13:07

>> Then Turkish
>

I think you might get bored, there's only so many variations on spicy meat you can eat. Nice as an occasional treat but not a very wide variety.
Absolutely not the case. Turkish food is hugely varied with a wide of meat fish vegetables and fruits. It varies from regi9n to region and the range is huge. The sophistication of their food rivals any in the word.
>> Absolutely not the case. Turkish food is hugely varied with a wide of meat fish
>> vegetables and fruits. It varies from regi9n to region and the range is huge. The
>> sophistication of their food rivals any in the word.
>>
Can only go on my experience, I spent 6 weeks there (in a non tourist area) variety wouldn't be a word I would use. Perhaps there's lots of variety elsewhere in the country.
Where did you stay.? Some of the finest meal I have had out were in Istanbul. I would also add that for service the Turks are pretty unbeatable
Konya, the food was nice. I enjoy Turkish food but after several weeks it becomes very samey.

How long were you in Istanbul?

Been there a number of of times. Fantastic city if bit overwhelming at times. Nice to add a visit there to a a more relaxing stay on the coast. Favourite place on the coast is Dalyan (well its a bit inland really) on the Southwest Coast.
I'd say it's more a residential and industrial city than anything. Run down in parts, bit of a dump in others. Not some where I'd race back to.

Out of curiosity where did you stay in konya?

Quite a trek to the coast, I can't say I went but those that did said it was a 5/6 hours on a bus. Might well have got decent roads by now. I do know there was talk of a high speed train line to Istanbul. Only way to get there really was to fly in but there's few direct international flights.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 21 Oct 20 at 12:27
Never been to Konya or even heard of it. I can believe its a dump. A lot of Turkey is but its poor country and the people are friendly and the food is good. I was refereing to Istanbul. Been there on city breaks a couplee of time direct flight from London amd also on an internal flight via Dalaman when we were last in Dalyman. Spent four days in an apartment owned by the the family we rented our Dalyan apartment from. Don't thienk Id like to be there now. The idea of social distancing in the Grand Bazaar would be a challenge|
>> Never been to Konya or even heard of it.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, I did think it was a bit of the beaten track.
I can well believe the variety of food in tourist areas varies considerable with that in areas with just locals.
I think as a package the food available in the UK is about the best you can get. A huge variety of good quality food from just about any cuisine you can think of.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 14:03
True as is also the case for wine. You can get wine from any country here unlike say France where you would find it difficult to get a decent New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc for example.

However my question was about cuisines not where the food is available. I wouldn’t want to be stuck with the traditional English cuisine that existed in this country prior to the eighties. It’s strange that we have a wide range excellent foods available but in general the diet of the English is dire. There are few traditional English meals I would seek out in a restaurant. We are saved by the fact that we have restaurants offering food from all round the world.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 14:17
Cottage pie
Gammon
Fish and chips
Roast dinner
Hot pot
Steak & kidney pie (most pies actually)

... are just a few that readily spring to mind and that I miss greatly. Though I agree I would not want to be stuck with solely English food. Or solely the original food of any nationality, for that matter.

I've never really worried about cuisine nationality much. Or where the the recipe originated from. I've always judged a place by the quality and variety of food that is available.

Another issue is the nationalisation of cuisines. A Chinese meal in London, Paris and Beijing are totally different. Ditto an Indian meal in San Francisco, Birmingham or New Delhi.

It's not even clear which food belongs to which national cuisine.

To your original question, I guess if I had to restrict myself to one type of restaurant it would be Italian. As long as I could get the occasional kebab on the way home.
Cottage pie
Gammon
Fish and chips
Roast dinner
Hot pot
Steak & kidney pie (most pies actually)

Apart from the fish and chips I don’t think I would seek any of those in a restaurant. They are all meals best enjoyed at home. Surely you’ve got the making s of most of those locally.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 16:43
>>Surely you've got the making s of most of those locally.

No, not really. I wouldn't miss the meals if they did.

And I would absolutely order all of those in a restaurant if I could. And indeed in the UK I often do.
What sort of staple vegetables and meat would be available in a normal supermarket or wherever you shop in Chile?
>> What sort of staple vegetables and meat would be available in a normal supermarket or
>> wherever you shop in Chile?

The fruit and veg markets are an absolute joy. Great produce, massive variety, and all fresh. Of course there are things you can't get either because of the weather or local taste; garden peas, brussells, quality celery, and that sort of thing. but the stuff you can get is great.

In particular salads are always excellent here, albeit served at room temperature. As an aside if you served a Chilean salad with chilled ingredients he would assume that it was not fresh.

And of course I have half a dozen orange trees, half a dozen lemon trees in the garden which makes for great G&Ts or Vodka and Orange!

Meat is a different matter. Chileans are not picky about the quality of their meat. And mostly it's pretty rubbish. Not actually bad of course, but these are people who are happy to eat, say, cow without any sense of selection about which bit.

Allied to that the cuts of meat are quite different.

As a general rule the girls avoid meat they haven't either cooked themselves or in a few restaurants where we know the chefs/owners and they know how we like stuff.

Seafood is purportedly excellent. Sadly I don't like most seafood. Cod & chips and a prawn cocktail are about my limits.

I don't eat poultry anywhere. That s*** can kill you. And in any case their quality approach to chicken is much like their quality approach to beef.

Restaurants here are quite surprising when compared to the rest of South America - typically a place of great restaurants. Mostly the food is bland, over-cooked, and ridiculously over salted. In fact pretty much the only spice they use is salt.

It is usually served warm rather than hot. In fact most food is served warm here, whether it was intended to be hot or indeed cold it is served warm.

Restaurant service is truly b***** awful. Compared to Brazil for example, Sao Paulo probably has the best restaurants on the Planet Earth and Rio isn't far behind. Any restaurant with bad service in Brazil will literally go out of business in a week, whatever level of the posh scale it's on.

On the other hand we were down at friends recently, actually farmers who look after some land for us, having a pleasant afternoon. When the farmer decided we should have a barbecue, walked out into the field and killed a sheep, built a b***** great fire in the middle of the yard and cooked it. Now *that* was a good barbecue.

tl:dr = great produce, crap meat, crap restaurants, different tastes, unless you know people
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - PeterS

>>
>> I don't eat poultry anywhere. That s*** can kill you. And in any case their
>> quality approach to chicken is much like their quality approach to beef.
>>

When we lived in Japan quite early on I was served sashimi chicken as part of a meal I’d been invited to, and indeed ate it many more times with no ill effect. While I imagine the quality and food hygiene standards are worlds apart from Chile, I can’t imagine they’re that much higher than in the U.K given how many middle men are involved in most Japanese food supply chains. So I wonder why it’s safe there? Maybe chlorine washed I guess - the American influence? It was actually quite delicate and tasty, which is more than can be said for sashimi horse which I only knowingly ate once...
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - tyrednemotional
>> which is more than can be said for sashimi horse which
>> I only knowingly ate once...
>>

..did it give you the trots...?

>> Apart from the fish and chips I don’t think I would seek any of those
>> in a restaurant. They are all meals best enjoyed at home. Surely you’ve got the
>> making s of most of those locally.

Absolutely would I order any of those in a pub or resturant and often have, they can be very good indeed. Since Tudor times these Isles were renown for pies and roast flesh and fowl

As for curries and Chinese not being the same the world over, they are not even the same 200 miles apart in the UK, huge regional variances

Only in Australia I think do they get authentic global food locally, Korean, Vietnamese, Greek, Chinese etc etc
>>Absolutely would I order any of those in a pub or resturant and often have

I think the last time I ordered a Shepherd's Pie in a restaurant was in The Ivy.

>>Only in Australia I think do they get authentic global food locally

That is a good point. I wonder why.
>>
>> >>Only in Australia I think do they get authentic global food locally
>>
>> That is a good point. I wonder why.
>>

Perhaps a lack of culture heritage. No type of cuisine has long standing roots so perhaps there was no need to displace any long standing tastes because there wasn't any. Therefore no need to modify their dishes?

>> Perhaps a lack of culture heritage. No type of cuisine has long standing roots so
>> perhaps there was no need to displace any long standing tastes because there wasn't any.
>> Therefore no need to modify their dishes?

Probably true, for a country of cold tinnies and barbies, their beer is mostly s*****, and the locals can't cook meat.
>>
>> >> Perhaps a lack of culture heritage. No type of cuisine has long standing roots
>> so
>> >> perhaps there was no need to displace any long standing tastes because there wasn't
>> any.
>> >> Therefore no need to modify their dishes?
>>
>> Probably true, for a country of cold tinnies and barbies, their beer is mostly s*****,
>> and the locals can't cook meat.

...and can't drink.

I don't know where they got this hard partying hard drinking reputation because it's most certainly unfounded.
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Crankcase

>> Perhaps a lack of culture heritage. No type of cuisine has long standing roots

I think Les Hiddins would say the original Australian cuisine was almost nothing but long standing roots.
>>
>> Another issue is the nationalisation of cuisines. A Chinese meal in London, Paris and Beijing
>> are totally different. Ditto an Indian meal in San Francisco, Birmingham or New Delhi.
>>
>> It's not even clear which food belongs to which national cuisine.
>>

I once ate in the management dining room of an IT company in Hyderbad.

"Authentic" Indian food (and very nice) but our party came under increasing scrutiny as the dishes presented were obviously arriving in ascending levels of "spiciness".

It wasn't very long before we were being asked by our hosts whether we found the food a bit "hot", to which we all replied, genuinely, that it was not any more than we were used to.

We saw the meal through to the end (by which time it was very "tasty"), and were later told that the management got some amusement from their more regular American visitors, who generally couldn't get past the second set of dishes.

I was trained by regular visits to The Darjeeling in Nottingham, where my customary Madras was at the hot end of the spectrum, the occasional Vindaloo was eye-watering, and the Phall (which I once sampled but never ordered) was thermonuclear.

Without a word of a lie, I once saw a guy (Iranian or some similar ethnicity) order a Phall, and the Chef came out of the kitchen to warn him off it! ("Do you know....?"). To his credit, he persevered and ate it (but the handkerchief went over the brow a good few times).

(I don't believe Vindaloo or Phall are of genuine Indian origin, but are non-continental inventions).
 It gets earlier and earlier..... - Bromptonaut
>> Without a word of a lie, I once saw a guy (Iranian or some similar
>> ethnicity) order a Phall, and the Chef came out of the kitchen to warn him
>> off it! ("Do you know....?").

I've had a similar reaction in France on ordering Andouillete (sausage based on a pig's intestine) in a roadside Relais Routiers restaurant.

"Vouz connaissez Andouillete?"

Now I'd had it previously in Paris and found it chewy and tasty but not overwhelmingly so and going well with mustard sauce. This one it has to be said was from somewhat nearer the colon than the stomach and was very strongly flavoured indeed.

I put up a respectable performance but did not clear my plate......
>> I wouldn’t want to be stuck with the traditional English cuisine that existed in this country prior to the eighties

On that I remember Vesta curries of the early 70s. We had an Indian friend visit and my Mother cooked a Vesta packet curry in an attempt to welcome him. As you can imagine it was not a resounding success though it was 10 years before I found out why not.
My parents were great fans of Indian food, apparently they used to make a point of having at least one trip to Veeraswamys whenever they were in London, from the late 1940s onwards.

My favourite in Edinburgh was the Shanaz on Rose St, not sure if it's still there. Guess I could find out easily enough. But then, I'd have to find a reason to go, and it's all just a bit too difficult right now isn't it?

Damn virus.

Edit - just checked. It's not there anymore. So that's fine.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 20 Oct 20 at 15:17
>>Veeraswamys whenever they were in London

I do the same, I love that place, particularly for a late lunch.
To be fair to Chile, we do have The Raj. Not to the standard of Veeraswamys but still pretty good considering where we are.

I've known the owners for years, so we always have a good time there.

theraj.cl/
As a Bradford lad, and someone who has eaten curry for a long time, my favourite curry house is here in Moraira on the C Blanca. The Nepalese Royal Buddha. One of 4 in the area...beats anything I know of in Bradford and it’s surroundings. Not that I’ve had a Bradford city centre curry for a few years.
Things have progressed...my early curries were eaten at 2AM en route home after seeing bands at Bfd Uni followed by a drunken disco in my late teens.
Not half as much fun now though..we used to play Space Invaders in the curry house until 5AM, grab a few hours kip, then off walking up the Dales on a Sunday at 8AM. Still over the limit probably.
>> Still over the limit probably.
>>

....what, even now?!

That's a hell of a bender......
Latest Forum Posts