Non-motoring > Test your ears Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 3

Test your ears - Crankcase
On another thread there was some brief discussion about bitrates for digital music. After some prodding about, I found this. It plays you music at differing bitrates, and helps you decide how good your ears are, effectively.

I have to say I could hear the difference on one or two, but not every time, so maybe it's wishful thinking. But I'm just using a PC with cheap headphones in the inbuilt sound card, so as least fancy as you can get. I could have put it through the "proper" system but cba.

Can you hear the difference on whatever kit you are using to listen with?

abx.digitalfeed.net/spotify-hq.html

Test your ears - Dog
PC + Yamaha receiver + Monitor Audio Bronze B2's, I couldn't really hear any difference TBH.

I have a pair of Grado's which are quite detailed, but I rarely Wareham these days.
 Test your ears - Manatee
Just realised I've probably wasted my time because I listened on good headphones but also a laptop that only uses SBC bluebooth which presumably reduces everything to its lowest common denominator. I got 48% right on the short test which supports that conclusion as well as the conclusion that I can't tell the difference.

I'll hunt out the lead and try it again later, wired up.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 27 Oct 20 at 18:57
 Test your ears - Dog
I've jist done that test again, but with my Grado's this time. In all honesty I couldn't really tell any difference.

I managed to get 56% correct, but it was more luck than judgement TBH.

I have a personal FLAC player and always record in FLAC, but a couple of albums where I first recorded in MP3 and then later in FLAC, I can't tell any difference there either.

I'm 50 years older than I was when I was 18, with constant tinnitus (which doesn't really bother me)

Maybe I should be thankful I can hear anything at all :)
Latest Forum Posts