Non-motoring > Correct batteries Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 67

Correct batteries - Ambo
My heating thermostat is a Siemens RDH10RF and uses two AA batteries. The manual specifies alkaline but I prefer Energizer Ultimate Lithium for such fit-and-almost- forget applications on account of their very long life. Is there anything against them?
 Correct batteries - PeterS
I think, but might be completely wrong, that alkaline batteries cope better than lithium in constant but very low drain useage situations, which I assume a thermostat is. At a practical level whether the difference is noticeable is another matter, and if lithium is what you’ve got then that’s what I’d use :)
 Correct batteries - Bromptonaut
The usual reason to specify alkaline is to take NiCd or NiMh rechargeables out of contention as they run at lower voltages; 1.2 v 1.5.

If lithium are 1.5v then I cannot see why there would be an issue.
 Correct batteries - smokie
On a tangent I read somewhere this week that batteries can take up to a million YEARS to degrade in landfill.

Please use the special disposal points in many stores etc where poss.
 Correct batteries - Kevin
>On a tangent I read somewhere this week that batteries can take up to a million YEARS
>to degrade in landfill.

I left 4 AA batteries in an old Sunpak flash unit that I used off-camera. They degraded in less than a million minutes.
 Correct batteries - R.P.
The Dutch are doing interesting things with landfill mining, alsorts of re-usable stuff being dug out
 Correct batteries - henry k
>> The Dutch are doing interesting things with landfill mining, alsorts of re-usable stuff being dug out
>>
We just let the Thames and other sites erode old waste tips.
 Correct batteries - Ambo
>>Please use the special disposal points in many stores etc where poss.

Waitrose delivery drivers will collect old batteries.
 Correct batteries - Clk Sec
>> Waitrose delivery drivers will collect old batteries.

That's useful to know. I've lost count of the number of times I've taken a pocket full of batteries to Waitrose, only to bring them back home agsin.
 Correct batteries - R.P.
Waitrose delivery drivers will collect old batteries.

Do they charge ?
 Correct batteries - Zero
Ambo seemed positive they don't.
 Correct batteries - Falkirk Bairn
Any shop selling batteries is obliged to take back duds.
 Correct batteries - Duncan
>>
>> Do they charge ?
>>
>>

They don't need to charge any more than they do.

Waitrose are the dearest supermarket. More than 50% dearer than Aldi.

Quote.

The cheapest supermarket in September was Aldi, with a trolley of 70 items costing £60.01 on average.

This was the third month in a row that Aldi has won the battle to be named cheapest grocer. Waitrose – which parted ways with Ocado at the beginning of September and now only sells via its own website – was the most expensive supermarket, with our trolley of goods reaching £98.53.

End quote

>> Do they charge ?

Not currently.
 Correct batteries - tyrednemotional
...people are just Ever Ready with the punchline, aren't they.

You should all be put in a cell for jokes like that.
Watt!!!
 Correct batteries - bathtub tom
Making batteries ohmless.
 Correct batteries - VxFan

We can leave ours out in a separate bag next to the recycling bin and the council will take them away.
Lidl take them.

Good, low priced food.

The Middle of Lidl is worth a wander. Stuff you hadn't, until then, realised you needed.
 Correct batteries - Zero
>> Lidl take them.
>>
>> Good, low priced food.
>>
>> The Middle of Lidl is worth a wander. Stuff you hadn't, until then, realised you
>> needed.

Have you been to my local Lidl yet Dunc?
>>
>> Have you been to my local Lidl yet Dunc?
>>

Weybridge, or Addlestone? But no anyway.
 Correct batteries - Zero
Addlestone? Blimey that put that up fast, wasnt there yesterday.

The Weybridge (Brooklands) one.
It's my age.
>> We can leave ours out in a separate bag next to the recycling bin and
>> the council will take them away.

Same here along with small appliances etc.
 Correct batteries - Zero
>> I think, but might be completely wrong, that alkaline batteries cope better than lithium in
>> constant but very low drain useage situations, which I assume a thermostat is.

Correct, plus the base voltage is higher, if the makers of the device go out of their way to specify a certain battery they do it for a reason.
 Correct batteries - Stuartli
I thumped one of my neighbours the other day and was charged with assault and battery.
 Correct batteries - VxFan
Lucky you weren't thrown in a cell.
>> Lucky you weren't thrown in a cell.
>>

....don't think he could endure a cell....
 Correct batteries - hawkeye
Is he still alive or was it terminal?
 Correct batteries - Runfer D'Hills
Shocking...
 Correct batteries - Zero
Poor lad had a nightmare - dreamt his clothes had been stolen and had to go around nicad
>> Poor lad had a nightmare - dreamt his clothes had been stolen and had to
>> go around nicad

And everyone was laughing at him and shouting his nimh
Negative sort of thing to happen in your own ohm...
 Correct batteries - Aretas
My ohm is full of volts. My solder friend keep his battery there.
Eddie's son?
...needs more than a battery to run a lighthouse....!
That reads like a proverb.
>> That reads like a proverb.
>>

...needs more than a battery to run a lighthouse, Grasshopper!
 Correct batteries - CGNorwich
Lighthouses have surprisingly small power requirements, a 250 watt halogen bulb is commonly used. Back up is normally by generator or a battery so I’m afraid the proverb doesn’t really work.

Sorry:-)
...AIUI, the Eddystone Light (which is where my lateral move took us rather than Mornington Crescent), is essentially solar powered.

This certainly implies a massive battery bank for storage (given that the light is required at night :-) ) but doesn't imply that someone rows out every day to change a Duracell.

So, it takes more than a battery, Grasshopper.

;-)
 Correct batteries - Zero
And the compressor/pressure tank fog horn has been replaced by an electronic one.
Childhood memories of foghorns from the Firth of Forth, and the sound of fighter jets on early morning sorties from Turnhouse. You could tell the weather by those sounds without looking out of the window.
 Correct batteries - Zero
>> Childhood memories of foghorns

Ditto ships horns in the london docks.
Running with my dog on Cramond beach, barefoot on a mixture of sand and snow. Jeez, what a long time ago !
>> >> Childhood memories of foghorns
>>
>> Ditto ships horns in the london docks.

Remember the Needles Lighthouse foghorn from various childhood holidays at Freshwater Bay. Last I recall was at Strumble whilst in a nearby Youth Hostel c1983.

There's still all the kit and the horn at Eliean Glas on the Isle of Scalpay but I don't think it's actually used any more.
I like lighthouses. I wonder how long they will persist in these days of satellite navigation and radar . I guess they are still a necessary back up. They have fascination histories. for example lighthouse always had three keepers. Well they did after the incident at the Smalls Lighthouse in Wales in 1801 ....... worth looking it up if you don't know the story,
I remember in one of my last summers at school staying in a caravan which turned out to be almost next to St Catherine's lighthouse on the IoW.

It got a mention in the BBC a week or so back as being the last lighthouse to change to LED lights. Well, that's what I remember, but I am probably wrong.
 Correct batteries - Dog
>> a caravan which turned out to be almost next to St Catherine's lighthouse on the IoW.

Once upon a time, long long ago, me and the ole woman droved there in a metallic green Capri 1600 GT.

Arrived quite L8, fick fog - horn a'blasting, van musta bin pre-war and in an awful st8.

I turned round and droved all-the-way back to sowf lunden.
Sounds quite similar! And the fog was there every morning, along with the foghorn!!

But as youngsters we put up with it.
An ancestor of mine was a lighthouse keeper at Portland Bill. I have his obituary somewhere.
If before 1911 he should be on this list

www.genuki.org.uk/big/Lighthouses/Keepers
>> If before 1911 he should be on this list

Somewhat belated response, but like you we have recently moved house and I have had to root around in the loft to find the relevant papers. So, yes, he is on the list that you kindly mentioned, as is his father. Both were keepers at Portland Bill and various other lighthouses.

The lifestyle must have suited him, as he survived into his 90s.

Thanks, CGN.
 Correct batteries - Dog
We did return to the I o W a few times after that. Insular, like Cornwall, which is why I took to it.

David Icke lives there apparently :)
Last edited by: God on Tue 10 Nov 20 at 11:24
>> I like lighthouses. I wonder how long they will persist in these days of satellite
>> navigation and radar . I guess they are still a necessary back up. They have
>> fascination histories. for example lighthouse always had three keepers. Well they did after the incident
>> at the Smalls Lighthouse in Wales in 1801

That only worked if the rules were followed (or perhaps one was murdered):

www.nlb.org.uk/history/flannan-isles/
>> the Smalls Lighthouse in Wales in 1801 ....... worth looking it up if you
>> don't know the story,
>>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalls_Lighthouse
 Correct batteries - Ambo
The batteries I have been on about are for a Siemens RDH 10 RF thermostat. I now can't make out how change them. Do any posters have one of these thermostats and can advise please? I can see a little notch bottom of the left side which look as if it might be pressed downwards to release the battery holder but it doesn't yield. I have tried Siemens' help line but can't make out the heavy American accent of the respondent.
 Correct batteries - sooty123
Have you tried sliding the panel to one side?
 Correct batteries - Manatee
>>I can see a little notch bottom of the left side which look as if it might be pressed downwards to release the battery holder

Have you got the full 12 page "datasheet" I found, or the one page user manual? If it helps, the former refers to a removable battery holder. It doesn't go into any more detail about battery changing save, as you say, specifiying alkaline.

This video incidentally shows the battery holder being removed so you can at least see how it comes out.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGELzLhl_fc
About 16 seconds into that video when he is inserting the battery holder you can see a tab on the left hand side of the battery container.

Earlier in the video he looks like he is flicking it downwards with a thumbnail before sliding it out. There's no indication to me that it is locked in in anyway way.

EDIT You can also see the tab in the pic in the 15 page manual at www.logitron.cz/data/user-content/dokumenty/navody/toptermostat/EN/RDH10RF_EN.pdf. Given there is no special instruction on how it's done I think the obvious method is the right method.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 27 Dec 20 at 11:54
 Correct batteries - No FM2R
This is not in English, but I don't think it matters.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGELzLhl_fc
 Correct batteries - legacylad
On my walking trips around the uk coastline im pretty sure I’ve seen lighthouses turned into holiday accommodation, owned by both the Landmark Trust and NT.
I do like a sea view...nearest sea view for me is literally one mile away. Morecambe Bay from the top of Giggleswick Scar.
Since lighthouses were automated many keeper's cottages have been sold or are let out as holiday accommodation.
Take your pick!

www.coolstays.com/blog/round-ups/15-of-the-best-lighthouse-stays-uk/19987
 Correct batteries - Zero
Castles, Turrets and Towers

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holiday-lists/unique-and-quirky-cottages
I often go (used to go) go fora walk in the Blickling Estate past the The Tower. The Dule of Buckingham liked racing so naturally he built himself his own racecourse with an adjacent viewing tower. He had previously had a large lake created to improve the view from the upper floor of his house. It is difficult to conceive how much money and power these people had. Still I guess they did create something for later generations to enjoy.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 27 Dec 20 at 14:20
 Correct batteries - Ambo
Sooty, I see from later posts that the direction is down, and how to open the carrier. It does not yield easily so I will have to get someone else to try. I only have the one-page manual, Manatee. Do you have the URL for the 12-page version please?
 Correct batteries - Manatee
>> Manatee. Do you have the URL for
>> the 12-page version please?
>>

assets.new.siemens.com/siemens/assets/api/uuid:3879bda287a62c43a19ecf802bcd384318fd7230/rdh10rf-datasheet.pdf
 Correct batteries - Ambo
Received with thanks.
Latest Forum Posts