Non-motoring > 100 Killings in 2019 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 15

100 Killings in 2019 - Duncan
Pick over the statistics.

Do you draw any conclusions?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54845899
 100 Killings in 2019 - sooty123
13 cases unsolved or no charges brought, I thought it would be lower than that.
 100 Killings in 2019 - Bromptonaut
>> Pick over the statistics.

Like Sooty I'm surprised how few have not resulted in charges.

Other than that there's the obvious point that stabbings are mostly male on male and involve young people. I doubt that the profile of either perpetrators or victims match the distribution of BAME people in the country as a whole or in the locale where the stabbings occurred.

Lee Pomeroy sticks in my mind as one where a dispute on a crowded train escalated out of all proportion to the issue at stake. At least one, a young woman, was random and related to the perpetrators mental health.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 12 Nov 20 at 08:26
>> Lee Pomeroy sticks in my mind as one where a dispute on a crowded train
>> escalated out of all proportion to the issue at stake.

Isn't that true of a large proportion of these crimes?
 100 Killings in 2019 - R.P.
Lose 20k Officers, ponce around with stop and search powers, de-skill Detective departments...what do expect ?
 100 Killings in 2019 - R.P.
Oh and add a service overwhelmed with historical child abuse and other complex crimes including the terrorist threats, when I worked at VS it wasn't unusual to see street Officers carrying work-loads of 40 plus investigations....
>> Lose 20k Officers, ponce around with stop and search powers, de-skill Detective departments...what do expect?
>>

The fact that there are no police officers on the streets doesn't mean that I will go out and kill someone?
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 12 Nov 20 at 09:16
 100 Killings in 2019 - sooty123
It's not pensioners they are trying to deter.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 12 Nov 20 at 11:15
>> Lose 20k Officers, ponce around with stop and search powers, de-skill Detective departments...what do expect?
>>

I am not sure what you are saying?

Do you believe the murder rate has gone up because there are fewer police? Unlikely, I would have thought.

Or do you believe the detection rate has fallen because of fewer police? Quite possible, but in the (vast?) majority of homicides the perpetrator is blindingly obvious.

ONS figures. Quote

There were 671 offences currently recorded as homicides in the year ending March 2019.1 This was 33 fewer (5% decrease) than in the previous year.

To put the number of homicides in context, incidence rates show the volume of offences as a proportion of the resident population. The incidence rate for homicide remains very low, with 11.4 homicides recorded per million population during the year ending March 2019, a similar rate to the previous two years.

End quote
 100 Killings in 2019 - Manatee
There will always be dregs. The proportion of robbers and violent criminals in the UK is at the low end of the scale internationally but slightly more concerning when compared with broadly similar countries in the EU.

I suspect that if there is an upward trend it has more to do with poverty and the wrong sort of education than policing. If there were twice as many 'bobbies on the beat' who would notice? a 1 in 1000 chance of there being one around when you need one would increase to 2 in 1000 so how is a knife-carrying paranoid drug using sociopath, formed by years of physical and mental deprivation and malign influences, going to be any more deterred by that?
 100 Killings in 2019 - CGNorwich
>> Pick over the statistics.
>>
>> Do you draw any conclusions?
>>

1 Humans can be a violent species especially to people perceived as being outside their group. Familiarity with history will confirm that.

2 Society is no where near as violent as it was in the past

3 Young adult males fuelled by testosterone are particularly dangerous

4 Alcohol and drugs use suppresses any inhibitions to violence individuals might have

5 Carrying of knives and thus access to weapons making violence more dangerous has become the norm in certain areas.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 12 Nov 20 at 11:11
 100 Killings in 2019 - Zero
Isnt this one of those "lets extrapolate some very narrow statistics and spread it over the internet out of context as shocking news" things?
 100 Killings in 2019 - Kevin
Why have they used my passport photo in a lot of those mugshots?
 100 Killings in 2019 - No FM2R
>>Do you draw any conclusions?

Yes, the BBC are lazy and produced an incomplete, meaningless fluff piece.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 12 Nov 20 at 21:31
 100 Killings in 2019 - No FM2R
On one of them the BBC originally said..

"The court previously heard how Mr Martin [Murder victim] was drunk in the lead-up to his death in the early hours of February 28.

He argued with Clara Butler [Murderer] in Portland Street before making his way on to St Thomas Road.

The court heard how he struck six different people and ended up in a fight with Mr Butler.

While Mr Martin was on top of Mr Butler [Murderer's Father], Clara Butler jumped on the victim’s back and stabbed him four times."

We obviously don't have full details, and I guess one has to have some faith in both Judge & Jury, but a life sentence and minimum 20 years seems harsh for that.

And the Judge's words seem to make that harshness even clearer.

www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/final-verdict-young-woman-who-3312062
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 12 Nov 20 at 21:45
 100 Killings in 2019 - Bromptonaut
I suspect the key words are:

However, having been struck, you retreated and went home and armed yourself with a knife
Latest Forum Posts