Non-motoring > Shower room paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 19

Shower room paint - Crankcase
Lockdown project. Been tasked with painting shower room walls.

Have cleaned them up, filled, sanded etc.

Any makes of paint recommended? Googling just either leads to vested interests, such as B&Q site, or to dubious review sites.

Just pick Dulux and crack on, or what?

Shower room paint - Zero

>> Just pick Dulux and crack on, or what?

Yup, just the colour and finish to worry about.
Ta. Do I care about Dulux v Dulux Trade, whatever that is?
 Shower room paint - Ambo
Doesn't the job call for a mould-resistant paint?
I haven't yet looked but I'm assuming (at zero's suggestion) Dulux will have something suitable in their range for bathrooms.
 Shower room paint - Zero
www.dulux.co.uk/en/products/filters/l_Bathroom/p_Interior

www.crownpaints.co.uk/products/bathroom/mouldguard-mid-sheen
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 15:11
 Shower room paint - Zero
>> Ta. Do I care about Dulux v Dulux Trade, whatever that is?

no.
tvm.
 Shower room paint - sherlock47
www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/advice/trade_retail_paint

They would say that wouldn't they.

However this is worth a read.....

www.thedecoratorsforum.com/retail-paint-or-trade-paint-what-is-the-difference/

not sure who finances the web site tho:)

I am half way through doing the bathroom - I have used 'trade ' for the walls and can certainly say that coverage and cover is excellent. New plaster, primed with white, before the expensive Dulux shop mixed colour. Cost was not a consideration as I had to get it in, the 24 hours before lockdown and since I had run out of options on getting somebody in to do it total cost was still less.

They do do a cheaper branded 'Armstead' label for the white emulsion - the 'trade' all seem to use it. Both are AzkoNobel products and suppoertred by the same Technical Help Line in Slough.
Hmm.

I've looked at the various sites above. The conversation then goes:

"Look dear, these are the paints we could use".

"I want white. Not off white, creamy white, hint of white or anything else. Just white."

"But they don't seem to do white in a bathroom version."

"I want white. La la la I can't hear you. White".

Perhaps I can get a tin of high gloss Compromise White.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 15:51
 Shower room paint - tyrednemotional
Since lockdown I've undertaken quite a lot of redecorating ("sprucing up" really).

I've exclusively used Dulux "Trade" emulsion, and my experience echoes the opinions in the link above.

It has been much better in coverage than the "retail" variety, I've even managed to get away with one coat overpainting a similar but slightly different shade.

It also appears to "splatter" considerably less than retail emulsion, making it easier to apply quickly. (Frankly, the Matt White Trade is thus better for ceilings than the thick stuff that was sold in trays as ceiling paint).

I prefer matt finish, but IMO a silk finish gives a more wipeable surface in a bath/shower room than matt.
 Shower room paint - henry k
>>I've exclusively used Dulux "Trade" emulsion, and my experience echoes the opinions in the link above.
>>It has been much better in coverage than the "retail" variety,

I too use "Trade" for its better coverage and find it easier to use.
 Shower room paint - VxFan
If you have a B & M near you, you'll find their paint far cheaper than the likes of B & Q, etc.

And it's branded stuff they sell, like Dulux, Johnstone's etc.

Johnstone's paint is actually quite good, and costs less than Dulux too.

Johnstone's (PPG Industries) at one point were trying to buy out the company who own Dulux (Akzo Nobel).
news.sky.com/story/takeover-offer-for-owner-of-dulux-has-big-implications-for-uk-10810787
 Shower room paint - No FM2R
Never shop at the likes of B&Q for anything that you need a lot of.

Travis Perkins is often a good bet, but other suppliers are available. But even there be aware of those displays aimed at tradesmen (study) and those aimed at end users (treat with disdain).

If you know a local tradesman, ask him where he buys.

Or look for the place with all the white vans outside around 9:30am.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 16:25
 Shower room paint - smokie
TP used to require a trade account and never used to have prices on it's website. I think that's all changed now.

I remember running the teams which first put chip and pin into TP. I went out with customer reps to the first install to see how it went. All seemed fine but the final test was watching a customer transaction on chip and pin. None of the builders used a card to pay. Strictly cash I think we waiting best part of an hour!!
I have (had, probably) a TP trade account. It was a very low hurdle. But I don't think you even need that now.

TP is, in my experience, full of people who understand trades and tradespersons. It's an environment I did well in and benefited from.
I've bought from TP for a good few years without the benefit of a trade account.

(maybe I just look like a jobbing-builder ;-) )

>> Travis Perkins is often a good bet......
>>

...who, of course, own Wickes and Toolstation (among others) all selling overlapping product ranges at (sometimes wildly) differing prices.

(B&Q and Screwfix trade likewise as part of Kingfisher Group).
Absolutely. If it can work for Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus etc. etc then it'll work anywhere.

p.s. Screwfix service is outstandingly good. You just need to deal with them "robustly".
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 25 Nov 20 at 16:36
 Shower room paint - riddler
I bought Dulux Brilliant White Bathroom paint from Amazon last month. Much cheaper than B&Q etc. Arrived in a couple of days. Does what it says on the tin.
Latest Forum Posts