Non-motoring > U.K. quarantine upon return Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 29

U.K. quarantine upon return - legacylad
I’m booked on a return flight 20/12, but as per previous weeks I expect it to be cancelled and consolidated with the 19/12 flight. Its 5 days back in the U.K. before I can have a private Covid test, and should it prove negative, I can get out of jail early, but the holiday period intervenes with a probable delayed result so waste of time and money.

Before I went to Spain, for my 93yo mother who lives independently, I organised cleaners and her neighbours volunteer to do her shopping when bad weather prevents her getting out. She always wears a face mask at all times, socially distances, and getting out of the house is good for her mental health.

As her ‘primary carer’ who visits her daily whilst I’m at home ( I live a mile away)..helping for an hour a day with chores, would I get a special dispensation to visit her given the circumstances? She is very pragmatic and insists that I get on with my life, which I certainly do, but it would be nice to visit her over the two days of Christmas when in theory I should be self isolating.

Retired ex healthcare professionals, with whom I walk several times a week here in Spain, tell me that shouldn’t be a problem. Especially as I’ve taken every precaution here to stay healthy.

Thoughts please ?
 U.K. quarantine upon return - PeterS
Is the 5 days because of the potential inccubstion period, or because you can’t get an earlier test! If the latter and you’re flying back into LGW try this lot: www.expresstest.co.uk/pcr/

They operate a drive-in test facility for airline crew/passengers, and it had loads of availability yesterday when I booked a test for 20/12 for my trip to Capetown. It costs £60, and results are next day.

But personally, if she is happy and you’re comfortable you’re not carrying it, and you maintain your distance / wear I mask I’d go. After all, no ones going to know!

PeterS.
I fly into LBA
Prior to return you complete an online contact form...expect phone calls, and maybe even a home visit to confirm that you are self isolating. I don’t know the detail of receiving a call on your mobile and how they will confirm you haven’t strayed from home, but obviously the technology is there to ascertain your whereabouts.
When I returned in March I was led to believe the incubation period could be up to 14 days, so I self isolated then for the full 14 day period.
The nonsense thing is, after being incredibly careful in Spain, if I land at 22:30 I have no means of getting home to the sticks. We have no local taxis where I live that operate in the evenings....so Travelodge, then bus and train the following day. More risk of contracting Covid in 12 hours than in the previous 10 weeks.

And SA sounds like a brilliant escape from the U.K. weather!
 U.K. quarantine upon return - sooty123
Aren't there any taxis that do a run to KL based around the airport or use uber?
Arrow taxis are the primary operator based at LBA...I’ll get a quote but recall somewhere it was around £150.
And I’d rather arrive home in daylight rather than the early hours after ten weeks away...just in case the keypad on my alarm sticks again ( neighbours weren’t too happy last time and I forgot to replace it. Oops)
 U.K. quarantine upon return - Zero

>> home visit to confirm that you are self isolating. I don’t know the detail of
>> receiving a call on your mobile and how they will confirm you haven’t strayed from
>> home, but obviously the technology is there to ascertain your whereabouts.

They phone you up from outside your home, and ask you to appear at front door/window.

Thanks Z. I never knew that. Appreciated.
I completed the online contact form when I returned from Europe in the Summer and St Lucia in the autumn, but heard nothing. Though, as they weren’t quarantine destinations I don’t suppose I would have done. A home visit is only likely if they can’t get hold of you and is, I suspect, a vanishingly low probability over Christmas / New Year. Just give them your mobile number and take your phone with you wherever you go. If it rings, say you’re in the garden ;)
 U.K. quarantine upon return - No FM2R
>> If it rings, say you're in the garden ;)

I think you're an Apple user (spit) but if you had an Android then you might might find something like "Fake GPS Location Pro" both free and remarkable useful.

You can send them your phone GPS location which will prove that you're in the garden, wherever you actually are.

It actually has valid uses, but it will completely deceive your phone. So Google Maps, WhatsApp location and other apps will all believe that you are where you say you are.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 10 Dec 20 at 20:27
 U.K. quarantine upon return - Zero
They have no access to your phone, so spoofing the gps location is not required.

I know the chances of anyone turning up your pad checking on you is vanishingly small, but I know for a fact it happened.

Like this

Some good friends have a place in France, came home did the Q form, and carried on with life in the UK as normal. Got the phone call,

"Hello can you come to the window or front door and prove you are isolating at home please"

"Sorry cant do that, I am out having a coffee with friends"

"Ah"

Kerching - hit with £1000 fine.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 10 Dec 20 at 20:55
>>so spoofing the gps location is not required.

I was only being semi serious, but I do know someone was requested to send a WhatsApp location.

>>£1000 fine.

Ouch.
 U.K. quarantine upon return - smokie
I was on a call tonight with some old mates and one of them's daughter, newly qualified with a Masters degree, finds herself working in a track and trace call centre for one of the providers (not NHS or local govt), on the phones, in the absence of anything more appropriate.

Anyway he related that they call 10 times and if they don't get through the details are handed to "the authorities". I didn't think to ask which ones but I suspect plod.
If you're both happy with the arrangement and both been sensible I don't see why not.
My daughter chose to not bend the rules to visit us earlier in the year as she didn't' know whether she might have it or not, and didn't want to be responsible for us getting it. (As it happens she subsequently found she has had it at some stage). We were relieved as although we wanted to see her we didn't want to take the risk but didn't want to tell her to not come. (NB I'm not as old or potentially dependent as your mum!).

And if If you were my mate I wouldn't want to see you for the next two weeks, or until you'd had an all-clear.

We quarantined fully for 2 weeks after Portugal. It's called taking the rough with the smooth I suppose.
In a perfect world I’d pay for and have a private test at the airport upon arrival. Results within 48 hours. If incubation could be up to 14 days though that’s rather pointless.
Most of my friends who travelled out in October, as did I, have changed their plans and are now remaining in Spain until late March/April.
Self isolation, PCR tests, sunshine, etc etc made it an easy decision.
 U.K. quarantine upon return - Bobby
Very few of us can say for certain that we have it or don’t have it.
The 14 days is there for a reason.
Use it to protect your mother from you!

Would you be happy for your mother to be in Spain, planes, travel lodge, train etc? If you visit her after doing all that then that’s exactly what you are subjecting her to.

If you have to go, wear a mask and stand inside her door with door open and don’t stay for long!
And conversely smokie I don’t want to see my uk mates. They’ve probably been eating out in restaurants & pubs in order to drink alcohol, shopping where not everyone adheres to social distancing and wears a face mask.
Ive far more chance of catching it off them than them from me !
I’ll be my usual anti social self for a month.
:-) funny crowd you hang out with LL LOL
Smokie. Life is all the more interesting for it. I’ve always hung out with cavers, climbers, drunks, tee totallers and opinionated people who swear black is white just for the sake of argument. Rarely with Mr & Mrs normal.
I regularly walk in Spain with a chap who forgot to put a stopper knot in his rope whilst abseiling in February this year. He dropped off the end of the rope...fractured his elbow, a few ribs, broke his hip.
He’s recovered and is now joining my group on very strenuous walks.
Not bad at 82yo.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274147

Not sure if you've seen this LL, isolation period now down to 10 days.
Thank you. Met friends for drinks at Enzo’s tonight ( Moraira) and they informed me of that change.
As we sat outside at 7pm,twinkling Christmas lights, free tapas, 21C, (it’s warmed up again) they told me they had changed their ferry crossing from 18 December to end March 2021.
Makes sense...EHIC still valid if they were here pre 31/12, no extra cost of PCR test upon return to Spain in January. Save plenty of ££s on travel costs.
Lucky SOBs.
Life of the retiree eh!
Presume the driver has his international driving permit already? I'm thinking of getting one before the rush. They are only £5.50 and last 3 years. (And hopefully won't be needed)
There is no downside to an IDP, if one ignores the fiver.

Why wouldn't you? You'd be amazed how often they are legally required. You shouldn't mistake lack of enforcement for lack of requirement.

It never matters 'till it matters, and then it tends to matter a lot.
I had one once, can;t remember where I was heading but it was obligatory ( I have a feeling it was the States some years ago...)

But my thought was really directed at LL and his mates who decided to extend their stay in the sun.
I don’t know if my friends have an International Driving Licence. I suspect not. They were going home for two weeks over Christmas...now staying here until Spring. Wise decision.
I’m seeing them in a few days so I’ll ask....
>> Presume the driver has his international driving permit already? I'm thinking of getting one before
>> the rush. They are only £5.50 and last 3 years. (And hopefully won't be needed)
>>

I got a new one last year (required for driving in Kenya) and it was made (with cardboard, a photo I took in and a Prit Stick) and issued in the Post Office, so I can’t imagine a rush causing many issues :)
In person...

www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/get-an-idp

Mail order....

www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp
Our PO (now up the back of WH Smiths) has had reasonably large queues for several weeks now, but I expect that's seasonal. Although they keep most of the queue outside the shop so what with social distancing I suppose it looks longer than it is.
 U.K. quarantine upon return - helicopter
Sounds like a remarkable character LL.

Speaking from painful recent personal experience just a fractured elbow on its own at 71 is bad enough....

Last edited by: helicopter on Fri 11 Dec 20 at 20:59
Latest Forum Posts