Non-motoring > Poor sound quality Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lemma Replies: 19

Poor sound quality - Lemma
I wonder if anybody has any insights that can help? Our village hall is used for film shows on an occasional basis. The films are projected using a DVD player and computer projector with the sound running through an amplifier to speakers. Audio quality is very variable, and we do get complaints from our largely elderly and hence sometimes a little hard of hearing audience. Films tend to be middle of the road stuff; no shoot-em-up, heavy rock or other types of films. The last one was "A personal history of David Copperfield". Not a great film, but the sound quality was perhaps as bad as it has ever been.

Our hall, like most, is just a bit larger than a badminton court with a tall vaulted roof. The speakers are placed on the floor either side of the large screen on a stage, about 1.5m above floor level. Previously they hung on brackets at either side, but no difference in quality was found. The speakers are about 70cm tall, 40cm wide and are surprisingly heavy. Audio quality is very variable, some films as clear as a bell, others, like the David Copperfield film, are very poor. I was catching about 50% of the dialogue.

I know nothing about how to manage the sound and nor does anybody else involved. Clearly we rely on initial sound quality on the DVD, and not much we can do about that. I am just wondering if anybody has some thoughts on how we might improve things as I feel that we might lose custom and become uneconomic if the problem continues to persist, this would be a great shame as in more normal times this is an opportunity to see a film and enjoy a social outing for our more elderly residents.

All help gratefully received!

(ps we operate a COVID safe environment with all precautions in place)
 Poor sound quality - sooty123
As an interim solution have you tried subtitles?
 Poor sound quality - Zero
This is how long is a piece of string, and will need experimentation.

For example, stick some headphones on the amp, to find out which half of the system is poor. If its ok on headphones source and pre amplification is fine.

Then stick a pair of home hi-fi speakers on the amp, plonk them on the stage and sit about 6 feet away.

If thats fine you know its your speakers and acoustics. And I'd bet its the later,

To fix that I would install some additional narrow response speakers (good about 1khz for dialogue) half way down the hall and at the back. Dont need to be loud so they wont add reverb.

Experimentation is the name of the game

Hmm

Just went to check the above mentioned film and GOOGLE IS DOWN

I mean ALL OF IT

Youtube, Gmail, Docs Drive, Photos, Its a big one
 Poor sound quality - Manatee
I was just trying to work out why my calendar won't open.
 Poor sound quality - CGNorwich
All OK here
 Poor sound quality - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/technology-55299779

>> Just went to check the above mentioned film and GOOGLE IS DOWN

I just found the same. Took me a while to work out it wasn't me, if you see what I mean.
Working again now.
Going on from what Zero said, the perceived difference in performance between one source and the other can be greatly influenced by the type of audio, not just it's quality.

e.g. Films with lots of talking inside will be different to films which are filmed outside.

The additional speakers are probably the way to go, though you may want them further towards the back than half way.
Not much help, but if it is sometimes "as clear as a bell" then it points to the source DVD, assuming everything else is the same.

A lot can sometimes be achieved with tone controls if you have them, and a bit of experimentation when you set up might improve it.

We have "flicks in the sticks" here as well and there have been one or two with terrible sound. I'll quiz the bloke who runs it, but I probably won't see him until the weekend.

One side of our hall is floor to ceiling glazing. Things are much better with curtains closed of course.

>> One side of our hall is floor to ceiling glazing. Things are much better with
>> curtains closed of course.

I know that hall well, do Monthly dog training there. Acoustically its not bad as village halls go, not a patch on a proper cinema of course.
This is Wilstone hall Z, not LM.
And get your finger in gear and finish the utility room next to the kitchen.

Edit and a decent heater in the gents.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 14 Dec 20 at 12:48
That could apply to either of the above!
 Poor sound quality - Lemma
Thanks for the thoughts so far everybody. Yes, we have tried subtitles and do use them but again there are very mixed views about them and not all films have them. I like the idea of experimenting with headphones and domestic speakers, that could provide some interesting insight. It may well that we have another pair of speakers that we can try halfway or further down the hall. We have volumes of largely unexplored items squirrelled away so who knows.

Incidentally with regard to reviews of the Copperfield film, IMDB shows a remarkable split between those who like it, giving 8 or 9/10, and those who really don't, 1, 2 or 3/10. I am in the latter category, as were most of the audience, hence the imperative to fix things before we lose them.
Last edited by: Lemma on Mon 14 Dec 20 at 14:21
>> That could apply to either of the above!

I only have intimate knowledge of WVH.
You were intimate with a village hall? No wonder you want a heater in the bathroom.
>> You were intimate with a village hall? No wonder you want a heater in the
>> bathroom.

I could of phrased that better.
>> >> That could apply to either of the above!
>>
>> I only have intimate knowledge of WVH.

Ah right. Great film nights there, although suspended for now- bar, free snacks at half time. Both host dog clubs/ training.
Latest Forum Posts