Non-motoring > High shipping costs Buy now ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

High shipping costs Buy now ? - henry k
Seems to might be worth a review of planned purchases before price rises ?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55740063
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - Zero
Its too late, its already in the price pipeline.
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - Rudedog
Slightly smaller but all of the postage costs from Europe on eBay have shot up, also now you have to be aware of added VAT and import tax on items above a certain amount, both can only be paid on delivery.

I've order a load of service items from Autodoc that runs out of Berlin, I'm waiting to see if I'll be hit with anything.
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - R.P.
Got this article form a bike site that I've had dealings with. Explains the VAT/Tariff thing ver clearly.

www.motolegends.com/reviews/Buying-motorcycle-gear-in-Europe?ct=t(MOTO0454_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_23_01_2021)&mc_cid=7576b1cc80&mc_eid=c72e4a666e
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - No FM2R
Very fair article.

Let the smuggling begin...

p.s. see how the rest of the world manages...

compartomimaleta.com/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 23 Jan 21 at 21:03
This is all well and good as long as the online sites are up front about possible charges, for instance you would have absolutely no idea that the site I've just used for my car parts operates out of Germany, even at checkout there is no warning to say items might be subject to import charges.

It could be that they have a way around this, maybe they have stock sitting in warehouse in the UK (unlikely), but as soon as consumers are hit with large charges their business from the UK will very soon dry up.

This will catch online buyers out who genuinely are just looking for a bargain and have no idea where their items are coming from.

High shipping costs Buy now ? - sooty123
Which site is that, normally it's reasonable obvious the company is from abroad.
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - R.P.
Best way is to hide from the delivery person when they call !
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - smokie
He mentions autodoc above Sooty, which certainly comes in a .co.uk flavour. When you look at the shipping page it gives some clues - length of time to ship and currency separator is , not . but not many would notice that.

www.autodoc.co.uk/
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - sooty123
Ah right yes, i see the post in question. I probably would notice but I always have a good nosey around any new websites before I buy anything.
It says "trucks" rather than "lorries" so I'd already have guessed.

However, I *NEVER* buy from anything without at least looking at their 'Who are we' or 'About Us' section.

To just assume that you're buying from a particular country seems quite silly to me, I would never do it.

I guess it's because people in the UK have been shielded by the EU from the practicalities of international shopping. Or did, until people took back control.
 High shipping costs Buy now ? - Bromptonaut
>> I guess it's because people in the UK have been shielded by the EU from
>> the practicalities of international shopping. Or did, until people took back control.

That exactly. Since the single market it's been no more difficult to buy stuff from France than from Flintshire.

Even then though it can be a lottery where stuff comes from. I've bought the same product from Biovea on may be half a dozen occasions. Sometimes it comes from the USA other times the EU (or at least EEA).

Companies like Amazon who have integrated supply chains have yet to adapt them. The Creative earphones I ordered last week from Amazon UK were supplied from Germany. The detailed order track shows time spent clearing customs in Germany and again on arrival in the UK at Southend (airfreighted to SEN airport I assume).

None of that is cost free.
So why didn't you have to pay extra at delivery if it came to you directly from Germany and not via an Amazon warehouse in the UK?

I'm guessing it depends on whether or not it is a drop ship.

Amazon will pay import duty on whatever they bring in, which I assume is on value not sale price. They will then pay VAT on the sale price and then pay delivery charge

A drop ship to you would mean import tax paid on sale price plus shipping and thus be substantially more.

But I am guessing.
Latest Forum Posts