Non-motoring > 6 Nations Legal Questions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 80

6 Nations - No FM2R
Am I the only one watching?

Enjoyed yesterday between Scotland and England, but I guess many people here didn't. It was a good match though and a very deserved win for Scotland.

Today was very stressful, although ultimately it worked out and Wales beat Ireland.

In fact today reminded me why it's so much less fun watching a game when you care who wins.

However, it's always a great day watching rugby down the pub here since all 6 Nations are represented in our little group.
 6 Nations - Duncan
Avid follower.

The E v S game was too tense for me. I think it was a poor quality game, with, of course, the wrong result. England don't have a plan B.

The W v I game was much better in every way. I am not too fussed who wins, but perhaps a slight preference for Wales. I thought Ireland were going to pull it off despite being a man down for most of the game, but not to be.

Did you play?
 6 Nations - No FM2R
A gazillion years ago, yes.
 6 Nations - No FM2R
>> Avid follower.
>>
>> The E v S game was too tense for me. I think it was a
>> poor quality game, with, of course, the wrong result. England don't have a plan B.

I thought it was poor in the beginning because Scotland were timid and England had no direction.

As Scotland realised that England didn't have a Plan A then they grew into the game well, I thought.

By the second half they were absolutely in control rather then simply reacting to England's mistakes.
 6 Nations - No FM2R
>> The W v I game was much better in every way. I am not too
>> fussed who wins, but perhaps a slight preference for Wales. I thought Ireland were going
>> to pull it off despite being a man down for most of the game, but
>> not to be.

I did too. My friend is Irish and was edging towards the optimistic. I feared the second half..

I think that Wales pulled it off against a better team who were one man down was to be admired (and certainly a relief).

There were a couple of inexplicably bad decisions by the Welsh team though.

More worrying though is that the aging squad kind of gives you a clue as to the lack of potential coming through.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 7 Feb 21 at 22:55
 6 Nations - helicopter
I played ( badly) and am an avid follower of England since I went on a school trip to my first international in 1964 at Murrayfield.

I am disappointed with Englands play and certainly they gave away far too many penalties. Wales v Ireland was a much better game.

England can only get better....but I see France as favourites .
Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 8 Feb 21 at 09:58
 England Italy - No FM2R
Well, this isn't very impressive from England.

They look much stronger though, so you'd have to think they can get control.
 England Italy - helicopter
Better play and a win for England but still unconvincing.....
 England Italy - No FM2R
I think that might be England's only win this year. Though Wales is not at its best so that could go either way.
 England Italy - helicopter
Wales - Scotland is close, now Wales 3 points up and Scotland now one man down.
Still think France are favourites...but if Wales beat Scotland , England may be in with a shout at the Championship if they can beat Wales, France and Ireland.
Said more in hope than expectation..
Last edited by: helicopter on Sat 13 Feb 21 at 18:14
 Scotland Wales - No FM2R
Well the last 5 minutes of that cost me 10 years.

I think tomorrow's Ireland / France will be huge.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 13 Feb 21 at 21:52
 Wales England - No FM2R
Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

I lost 10 years of my life, but.....

Yaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!
 Wales England - Bromptonaut
Wales defeated England in a fast and furious game?
 Wales England - No FM2R
I find watching Wales matches very stressful. Which results in being very annoyed if they lose but quite overjoyed if they win, assuming that it was a good match of course.

And for the most part the match today was close and in the end Wales won.
 Wales England - helicopter
I am utterly fuming at the incompetence of the referee.

That was the third game in a row where Wales have had an extra man... two previous games Welsh opponents had a man sent off and in this game the referee awarded two tries to Wales which should never have been allowed.

Try 1 was given when the ref restarted play while Farrell was still talking to his players in a group under the posts as instructed by the referee giving no time to reset their defence.

Try 2 was a clear knock forward by Rees Zammit, even Jonathon Davies said so.

Utterly disgraceful.
 Wales England - No FM2R
Standard English whinging. Cricket, soccer or rugby, it's always the referee. Always excuses.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 27 Feb 21 at 20:58
I do not think you watched the same game as I did Mark.

It is simply the worst refereeing display I have seen in 60 plus years of playing and watching Rugby.

As I said, I even the Welsh commentators agree with me that the referee was wrong ..... twice.

High time Gauzere was retired.
 Wales England - No FM2R
For the English, it's *always* the referee. Always.
g.co/kgs/U9PnHT

Wales England - henry k
That is appalling refereeing' - BBC pundits on controversial Adams try

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/56226173
 Wales England - commerdriver
Appalling refereeing
Yes, but probably, to some extent, triggered by Owen "Supermouth" Farrell.

When I first played rugby at school, arguing with the referee was a definite no no, as was disruptive spectating and similar behaviour. Same, I guess in all schools and even in senior rugby in the 1980s and 1990s.

I know times have changed but some of the behaviour in modern professional rugby is way out, and Farrell is one of the worst offenders, good player though he is, he really does learn to behave on a rugby pitch.
 Wales England - R.P.
Some great playing from Wales - lack of discipline by England in second half ensured a Wales win - some great young players contributing to Wales. In fairness when you see/hear a former referee of Nigel Owens' standing questioning referee decisions there must be a problem
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 28 Feb 21 at 10:38
 Wales England - Zero
I blame Brexit.
 Wales England - Duncan
Stolen from another forum. I would possibly change the odd word here and there, but otherwise, it's spot on.

"England just don’t know how to win games. They think it’s just about scoring points. Whereas it’s about applying pressure patiently and consistently without needless errors. It’s about mistake free rugby. It’s about playing like professionals paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a year who should know that entering a ruck from the side, changing your binding in a maul, or turning your back on an opposition scrum half when he’s just been awarded a pen 10 yds from the try line, are the things that you just don’t do at this level. Unfortunately England are blessed with a bunch of clueless muppets in this regard.

People wonder why the AB’s have such a remarkable win record. It’s nothing really to do with flash skills. It has always been about doing the right things at the right time, doing them relentlessly well, and making as few mistakes as possible in the process".
 Wales England - No FM2R
England didn't win because of refereeing decisions. They lost because they're an ill-disciplined bunch of louts who are happy to manipulate and bully referees but, like their supporters, get all huffy when something goes against them.

Itoje gave away 5 penalties and should have been given a yellow card. Farrell is a gobby t*** who goes on and on at referees trying to bully them and shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't get listened to.

Nigel Owens also commented that one of England's tries against Italy should not have been countered due to a deliberate foul from Farrell. I didn't notice Farrell and the English supporters love of fair play storming to the fore about that. I wonder why not?

Helicopter was whining about red cards in other Wales' matches. Both of which went to appeal and both of which stood and in one case there was argument that the punishment should have been greater. Bringing those two subjects up as part of bitter whinging about this game is typical English.

England lost. They deserved to lose. And yet again blaming it on the referee does them no favours.

>>In fairness when you see/hear a former referee of Nigel Owens' standing questioning referee decisions there must be a problem

Indeed. Though the endless discussion before the pundits arrived at a conclusion tends to show that it was not an easy or obvious decision. Even Guscott thought it was not a knock-on.

It probably was, but for goodness sakes, *that's* [part of] what England blame for their loss? dear oh dear.

Owens also commented on the other try. He stated that the referee clearly called time-on but in his opinion it had been done too quickly. Again, probably true. But if England hadn't been giving away yet more penalties then the incident would never have arisen.

But WTF turns away from a team by the try line with a penalty and ignores a shout of time-on??

Kharma is a thing. And if you support England, so apparently is whining.

Wales won by 16 points. Deduct whatever you like, it won't be enough. England lost, however you look at it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 28 Feb 21 at 13:09
www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-v-england-referee-pascal-19938253

Just saying Mark.....

Wales England - No FM2R
Good for him. I think most people eventually came to that conclusion with hours to consider the point in a calm environment. Did England announce when they were asking for the two penalties to be given retrospectively and the try removed from their game about Italy? What do they want done about the yellow card that should have been given to Itoje?

[Why do England only ever whine about fair play when they want benefit?]

Or is it that the final whistle has gone and other than England's traditional and endless whines about referees and how unfair life is, then there it should lie?

It's still not why England lost. They are ill disciplined louts who did not play well enough. If Farrell put as much effort into playing rugby as he does into complaining, then England may have done better following that example, rather than his usual one.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 17:17
 Wales England - Duncan
Happy St. David's Day.
 Wales England - No FM2R
Thank you. To you too.
 Wales England - R.P.
As Mrs RP said at the time when it was 24-24 it should have been for the taking for England. Wales played gallantly, they have been under-dogs from the outset. Wales won and won it fairly (I'm no expert) -Rees-Zammet (Wales no 14) is one to watch only 20...
 Wales England - No FM2R
>>when it was 24-24 it should have been for the taking for England.

It was a might stressful at that moment. We had 6 actual Welsh people, 6 actual English people and 40 people of varying nationality that had chosen one side or the other. Oh, and two Scotch who came along for the laugh.
 Wales England - R.P.
Reminds of two years ago in Vietnam, close to the Chinese border...went to a bar to try an catch one of the matches, two Welshmen, an Englishman, a French Canadian, and an Argentinian - we all had beer and a jolly good time...travel is great.
 Wales England - No FM2R
The true reason to follow rugby and not soccer. I can't live with 'enthusiastic' soccer supporters.

Always a great crowd. Probably the best crowd here are the French. Great bunch.

We had Scotch, Welsh, Irish, Italian, French, Italian, Argentinian, Chilean, Brazilian, Venezuelan and a weird bloke from Easter Island.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 20:20
 Wales England - legacylad
a weird
>> bloke from Easter Island.
>>
Would he appreciate Cadburys Creme Eggs at half time ?
 Wales England - Zero
>> The true reason to follow rugby and not soccer.

Of course it would be easier following the welsh football team, you know you will never ever beat the english* No false hopes.

*or the Argentinians, the Italians, or anyone else come to that
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Mar 21 at 20:43
 Wales England - No FM2R
>>Of course it would be easier following the welsh football team

So right. A more joyless enterprise one cannot imagine.

As for beating England, if they would just learn that all you need to is let England score a goal early doors and then watch England amble back to their own half and try and fail to protect that lead for 85 minutes life would be more rewarding.
 Wales England - rocket
Good for the ref for admitting the mistakes, although I think the TMO should take a good share for the 2nd.
Gauzere had probably realised/suspected his earlier error at that point and so may well have been leaning to the letter of the law rather than the spirit.
The TMO could have helped that with a clear recommendation.

As a England supporter, occassional player and ref, and hoping for at least a few more games before I retire for the 3rd time, I am defeintly not a moaner/whiner. At least for this match anyway.
No way could England claim to deserve to win after such an appalling penalty count, especially in the last 20.
Wales weren't brilliant, but played consistent sensible rugby and deserved the win.
 Wales England - R.P.
you know you will never ever beat the english

didn't need to in the Euros in 2016. Iceland did that for the Wales team whilst they got on with bigger fish in shape of Belgium.
 England 23 France 20 - No FM2R
A great match and a well deserved win.

England in the second half were so determined and just full-on despite the French fighting every moment.

Wish I'd been there.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 14 Mar 21 at 01:19
 England 23 France 20 - No FM2R
Meant to mention, I notice that even Farrell made a big effort to watch his mouth shut. Good to see, he could be great without his whinging.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 14 Mar 21 at 01:20
 Wales 48 Italy 7 - No FM2R
I really enjoyed it (obviously) and I thought Wales were impressive for 3/4 of the game. Somewhat raggy in the last 20 minutes though.

Still, on to next weekend, it's going to be great. England/Ireland and France/Wales should both be great matches I think.

Do we know when Scotland/France will be played?
 Wales 48 Italy 7 - helicopter

>>
>> Do we know when Scotland/France will be played?
>>
Not decided as yet Mark. I believe March 26th is being looked at but because it falls outside the normal International window the clubs have to agree to release their players .
I guess we'll find out next weekend whether it doesn't matter much or is of desperate importance.

I'd appreciate you posting if you should see an announcement, it's a bit difficult following it all from here.
 Wales 48 Italy 7 - Duncan
March 26th, if you believe this

tinyurl.com/5a6pae3f
Friday 26th March at 8pm seems to have been agreed now Mark.
Thats UK time BTW.
Thank you very much indeed.
 Scotland 24 Ireland 27 - No FM2R
Another exciting game with a, probably, fair result.

Ireland's kicking seems erratic but otherwise they seemed pretty together. I thought Scotland might take it bit a bit of bad discipline and a bit of bad luck did for them.

Another game where I wish I'd been there.
 Scotland 24 Ireland 27 - Runfer D'Hills
A Scottish friend was watching it in an Irish bar in Moscow. I could explain I suppose but it would take up too much bandwidth.

Anyway, he kept WhatsApping me for moral support...

;-)
 Ireland England - No FM2R
Half time 20 6

Oh dear.

But I'm expecting England to come charging in the second half. We'll see if Ireland can withstand the initial storm.
 Ireland England - No FM2R
If England can stop giving away penalties. As usual.
 Ireland 32 England 18 - No FM2R
England get their butt kicked in another show of ill discipline.

And not just ill discipline resulting in penalties, but also resulting in so many failed plays and attacks.

Shocking for such a skilled team to repeatedly lose in the same way. One would think that if they can sort out their discipline then they could be great.
 Scotland 52-10 Italy - No FM2R
Just for the sake of completeness.

It was quite a good and interesting game to watch but ultimately Scotland walked all over them after a slow start.

A deserved win.
 France Wales. - No FM2R
Dear God, this game will be the death of me.
 France Wales. - No FM2R
Well after that last 10 minutes Wales have only themselves to blame and France deserved the bonus point win.
 France Wales. - helicopter
Hows your blood pressure now Mark..?

France Wales. - No FM2R
Dripping out of my ears.
 France Wales. - Zero
Pffft couldn't even beat the disease ridden frogs.........
 France Wales. - No FM2R
68 brilliant minutes followed by one of the most amateurish 12 minutes I have seen in a long time.
 France Wales. - Runfer D'Hills
Well, so far, quite a good weekend, Scotland won, England and Wales lost, we have a new car, there was steak for dinner last night, and today, the weather is just right for a bike ride...

We were needing a little bit of joy in our lives !

;-)
 France Wales. - Zero
>> Well, so far, quite a good weekend, Scotland won,

Yes I would celebrate such an event with a nice steak. I dont suppose you can remember the last time.....................
Yes, I must remember to check my lottery ticket, I'm sure I bought one...
;-)
 France Wales. - R.P.
What's the car
 France Wales. - Zero
He's bought a fiat jeep

Completely lost his marbles, old age I think
Jeep Fiategade. Loving it. Makes us smile.
 France Wales. - No FM2R
>> Well, so far, quite a good weekend, Scotland won, England and Wales lost, we have
>> a new car, there was steak for dinner last night, and today, the weather is
>> just right for a bike ride...
>>
>> We were needing a little bit of joy in our lives !

It's sad when joy is so rare that we have to take it from the losses of others rather than finding sufficient within our own, occasional, wins.

But I can see the challenge you face.
Heh heh ! Aye well, true enough !
;-)
 France Wales. - No FM2R
France Scotland should be a really great game.

I'm not sure I think Scotland can win, but I do think they're in the frame of mind to give it an impressive go.
I don't think Scotland will win either, but I think it'll be a good game.
 France Wales. - Bromptonaut
>> France Scotland should be a really great game.

Is that the final game of the series?
 France Wales. - No FM2R
Yes, it shouldn't have been but it was rescheduled due to Covid-19 in the French camp - through their own stupidity.

It is important because if they score 4 tries and beat Scotland by more than 21 points they win the championship. If they do not, then Wales win.

Wales could have won by beating France yesterday but despite doing a great job for 70 minutes Wales collapsed in the last 10 minutes under intense French pressure.

There's nothing much in it for Scotland other than pride, but I think they're going to come out fighting hard.
 France Wales. - Lygonos

You're welcome, Wales.
 France Scotland - Runfer D'Hills
Stonking match though. Proper rugby from both teams.
 France Scotland - Duncan
Why - when the clock was in the red and France had the lead did the French player stiil rush around trying to get another score? He could simply have kicked the ball into touch - game over - French victory!
 France Scotland - Lygonos
Would've been a Pyrrhic victory - Wales would still have won the title.

Probably wanted a chance to score because its more fun than punting a ball into touch.
 France Scotland - Duncan
>> Would've been a Pyrrhic victory - Wales would still have won the title.
>>
>> Probably wanted a chance to score because its more fun than punting a ball into
>> touch.

Er - no.

Saturday Pendant Corner - definition of a Pyrrhic victory.

tinyurl.com/58pcxnh6
 France Scotland - No FM2R
>> Stonking match though. Proper rugby from both teams.

It was a great match and the last 10 minutes were edge of the seat stuff.

Very strange decision by the French player not to kick it out though.
A couple or so things occurred to me watching that game.

All the players on the pitch weren't born or even thought of the last time I played.

I remember being at a house party in Edinburgh, that doesn't seem all that long ago, when Gavin Hastings and his wife had to leave early because she was tired, being pregnant with Adam at the time.

The last time I remember being quite so enthused by a Scottish rugby team was the early 1980s.

:-(

France Scotland - No FM2R
I guess your friend in Moscow enjoyed this match a whole lot more than the last one. Did he manage to find a French cafe to watch it in?

We were a group of Brits - about 15 of which 3 or 4 were Scottish - all supporting Scotland. We were in a bar with about 10 French supporters who are often great fun but they seemed to spend a great deal of the evening using very bad language.
Haven't actually heard from Moscow yet. I suspect he may be a little overtired...
 France Scotland - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8yQOYbwXA

Scots are mostly Welsh after all ;-)
Latest Forum Posts