Non-motoring > Female Logic Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 4

Female Logic - zippy
Mrs Z: "I will carry these heavy bags of shopping from the supermarket to home."

Me: "Don't be silly, I will pick you up!"

Mrs Z: "No, it's OK really"

Me: "Ok.". (I have work to do anyway.)

Mrs Z: "I've got these bags to the drive, they've split and I need you to come and help sort them out please"

Me: "Ok, but I wish you had let me help earlier it would have been much easier"

Mrs Z - just one of those looks that could freeze water.....

Now the real situation....

Mrs Z is not very IT literate. She needed to type a letter and her laptop does not have word on it.

"Borrow my work laptop" I say, "or let me install Open Office"

Mrs Z: "No, I'll sort it".

Me: "Are you sure? I'm happy to help"

Mrs Z: "No, you carry on with what you're doing"

So I get on with something else in the mean time, then, two hours later at 8:30ish, I get the "It's all gone wrong!" exclamation.

She has been using some downloaded text editing program that crashed and hadn't saved and has just eaten her doc (thank goodness nothing personal on it).

I can't recover it and it's suddenly all my fault!!!
 Female Logic - Manatee
I can't remember what I pay for Microsoft 365 but it solved similar problems here.

I think I might have suggested Notepad, if it's a Windows device. Google docs is another option. I dread to think what my boon companion might achieve if she decided to download something free. She's very resourceful and capable but her mere presence seems to disrupt any form of technology.
 Female Logic - Zero
You try being an IT pro husband, and having a previously non IT literate wife who is doing university degree dissertations on the PC.

I tried to explain "Service Level Agreements" and "User Error"
 Female Logic - Zero
Current Example

Helpdesk Ticket: #234.
User: Wife
Problem Summary: Android Tablet running very slowly
Notes: Tablet needs to be reset to factory state, User told to note passwords, and told to back up to google drive & unused apps to be noted & removed. Google drive set up. User told Tablet will be reset on completion of pre reqs.

Update: #1 Nov 2020 User complains Tablet still running slow, asked if backed up, and passwords noted - answer no.

Update: #2 Dec 2020, As update #1

Update: #3 Jan 2021, As Update #1

Update: #4 Feb 2021 As Update #1

Update: #5 Feb 2021 User complaint: Support have done nothing to fix her problem, is fed up of complaining about it and why hasn't something been done about it.

Notes: Upon next complaint support will reset tablet back to factory state even if nothing backed up and passwords not noted and al user apps will be deleted.

:

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 10 Feb 21 at 09:07
 Female Logic - smokie
LOL I have similar experiences...
Latest Forum Posts