Non-motoring > Alcohol free Beer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 23

Alcohol free Beer - MD
Has anybody tried? Do you have a favourite or a recommendation?

My usual tipple is Ale.
 Alcohol free Beer - Lygonos
Becks Blue (lager) and Erdinger are the best I have found that actually taste like beer.

Many taste like malty fizzy water.
 Alcohol free Beer - legacylad
Get a grip man.
I only ever drink alcohol free when I’m the nominated driver overseas...two I’ve discovered, strangely enough in Spain, were St Peters Without Original, and Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5%. Best I could find.

In Spain we often have a ‘pop up bar’ at the end of a walk, late sunny afternoon, miles from anywhere up a mountain track. Hence I drink alcohol free on those occasions When it’s my turn to drive.
 Alcohol free Beer - Duncan
If you want alcohol free beer - just drink water!

What a waste of money.
 Alcohol free Beer - sooty123
Try nanny state by brew dog, it's an ale type drink. Best so far I've found of the zero alcohol beers.
 Alcohol free Beer - Bromptonaut
>> Try nanny state by brew dog, it's an ale type drink. Best so far I've
>> found of the zero alcohol beers.

Second that. My son recommends it and also Punk AF from the same brewery.
Friends drink Nanny State when nominated drivers, and I think it’s one of the better alcohol free beers.
Must admit I prefer water with a slice of lemon.
 Alcohol free Beer - Zero
>> Has anybody tried? Do you have a favourite or a recommendation?

Call yourself a builder? get a grip man.
 Alcohol free Beer - Manatee
I'm a brown beer drinker except I don't drink any more than the odd pint now.

I drank Beck's Blue for a while but it has an odd smell that began to irritate. Heineken 0% is pleasantly innocuous when cold enough and I prefer that now. I sometimes have the malty fizz, usually Bavaria which is at least cheap. It's more about avoiding nasty flavours than finding good ones. I've tried the St Peter's and the Ghost Ship but they don't work for me.

Like most ale drinkers I like some variation, but as a reference point I'd find it hard to choose between Caledonian Deuchars IPA and Timothy Taylor's Bitter (now named Boltmaker) or Golden Best

I take the point about water but I'd rather have cold 'lager' with a curry.

I haven't found a 0% beery beer I enjoy. Probably because it's what I like and I'm too fussy.
 Alcohol free Beer - sooty123
Sainsburys Czech pilsner is available in alcohol free, that's the best lager one I've found. Usually about a quid for a 500ml bottle.
I used to drink in the Boltmakers Arms ( after which the beer is named) four nights a week. I worked in Keighley, a two minute walk from the Boltmakers, then after a few pints walked home to our gaff in Utley.
Later when I moved to Giggleswick, and worked a few days in Keighley, I had time for 3 quick pints in the Boltmakers before catching the 6:30 train home. Happy daze.
Landlord is currently on offer in Tesco.4x 500ml @£6.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sat 20 Feb 21 at 09:32
>>I used to drink in the Boltmakers

Landlord, Boltmaker (can't get used to the name) and Golden Best are basically the same recipe, more or less concentrated.

I used to drink the Golden where available. After drinking the Landlord then the bitter or the golden tasted like water afterwards but starting on the golden was fine and not as debilitating taken in quantity.
When I lived in the Bingley and Keighley areas then Timmy Taylor’s Landlord was always my favourite pub beer. I always thought it stronger than 4.3%, as my current favourites are two Oakham brews, Green Devil @6% and Citra @ 4.6%.

Strength is not necessarily an indication of better taste...both ilkley Brewery Mary Jane and Hawkshead Windermere Pale are only 3.5% . Lovely stuff.
 Alcohol free Beer - MD
I've picked up some BrewDog Punk AF and some Nanny State this morning.. I'll try it this evening. I'll just go and make some room in the bin in case:-)
 Alcohol free Beer - MD
Well the 'Nanny State' is not too bad, but the Punk AF is not to my liking. They're not worlds apart but 'Nanny' has the edge.
 Alcohol free Beer - MD
I have decided. They are bloomin' vile. I'll just consume less of the full fat variety.
>> I have decided. They are bloomin' vile. I'll just consume less of the full fat
>> variety.
>>

That's where I ended up, I only keep the Heineken 0% and the Bavaria to wash down currys and pizzas, because alcohol is bad for dodgy hearts.

I go to pubs so rarely now, even out of lockdown, that I just drink proper stuff on those occasions.
 Alcohol free Beer - Zero
>> I have decided. They are bloomin' vile. I'll just consume less of the full fat
>> variety.

We told you, but would you listen?
 Alcohol free Beer - MD
Well I'm ristening now Glasshopper...........Cheers:-)
 Alcohol free Beer - Duncan
>> variety.
>>

May I refer you to my post of Saturday 20th February at 08.57?
 Alcohol free Beer - MD
NER NER. OK OK. Don't rub it in:-)

Currently enjoying a glass of De-rail ale from Box Steam Brewery with some fine Cheddar and onion.

Anyone want 5 tins of **ss?
 Alcohol free Beer - No FM2R
>>They are bloomin' vile.

I have tried alcohol free beer all over the world. They're all awful.

The solution is, of course, to drink less. So far though, that approach isn't working out all that well.
 Alcohol free Beer - BiggerBadderDave
Wifey's cousin is one of those irritatingly pushy people who wants you to drink the same volume of the same tipple that he's drinking. The "go on, just have one more with me" type. The easiest way is simply to switch the vodka in my shot glass for water which is an entertaining art to master. Best done outside, obviously. More plant pots, there.

He's also one of those right in your face type of people - almost nose to nose as they speak to you. Space Invaders, I call them. I step back, he advances. I step back, he advances. I'd love to see a speeded up video replay of the night, see how much distance I cover, backwards.

I rarely drink at all now but when I finally get over to Blighty and the boozers are open, it's a pint of London Pride, rapidly followed with another pint of London Pride. Then another.

Can't wait.
 Alcohol free Beer - MD
Last five tins given away to a good cause :-)
Latest Forum Posts