Non-motoring > DECT phone connectivity Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 20

DECT phone connectivity - smokie
I have a set of 4 Panasonic DECT phones, and one phone (not base unit) is not working well. I've tried cleaning up the contacts etc but it is very reluctant to charge, and/or loses charge. I've put in new NiMH batteries.

Seeing as these get little use I am loath to splash out to replace the whole set, but I do like having all 4 working.

I'm reading that the theory is that you can register different manufacturers handsets to your base unit.

Does anyone have any experience of this, good or bad?
 DECT phone connectivity - Biggles
General functionality will work but special features such as playing voice messages might not.
 DECT phone connectivity - Robin O'Reliant
This any good?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333938944418?epid=28033925632&hash=item4dc04fe9a2:g:gJkAAOSwu~xdSAnE
 DECT phone connectivity - tyrednemotional
...some years ago, but I had similar issues on a set of Panasonic 'phones.

After some deliberation and testing (by switching the handsets around) I identified the problem as being the charging unit (again, not the base unit), rather than any of the handsets.

Managed to source another one cheaply from eBay, and it's worked ever since.
Thx

Biggles - that wouldn't really matter in this instance, just handy to answer calls with

RR - yep, exactly, except the cheapest 2nd hand I can find would do - I think I saw on on eBay for about £15 incl postage (though I suppose a new one for a few quid more might be a] better bet)

T&E - that's how I narrowed it down to being the handset :-)
 DECT phone connectivity - bathtub tom
I've different DECT phones working from the same base station with no problems.

Thought I was one of the last luddites!
 DECT phone connectivity - James Loveless
"Thought I was one of the last luddites!"

You're not.

I had to look up what DECT means.
 DECT phone connectivity - sooty123
>> I had to look up what DECT means.

You weren't the only one.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 19 Jun 21 at 20:19
 DECT phone connectivity - Zero
Dump the landline
 DECT phone connectivity - No FM2R
Surely a landline is always worthwhile as a back up? Especially as the cost is pretty negligible these days.

I have landlines, though I could not tell you when I last used it.Or the last time anybody used it for that matter. Makes me feel better to have it thought.

[which makes me think I better go check it still works].
 DECT phone connectivity - Zero
>> Surely a landline is always worthwhile as a back up? Especially as the cost is
>> pretty negligible these days.

The number of valid land line numbers is falling by 15%pa, land-line use has fallen by 40% in the last two years, they are mostly only used by scammers so why anyone thinks they need 4 phones in the house is beyond me
Maybe he's got a big house.
 DECT phone connectivity - No FM2R
Well, I can't say I'm all that fussed by the total number of landlines, just so I have one.

>>why anyone thinks they need 4 phones in the house is beyond me

I don't know. I probably wouldn't go and buy 4 now, though I have in the past. Not much point in throwing them away if you've already got them, either.

For the record I have one, it's not cordless and it is working. For reasons I can't remember it's in the kitchen on the wall.
I use mine probably 2/3 times a week on average, either to ring in or out of.
Apart from the scammers, there are about 3 people who call us on the landline and on average we get up to two calls a week from them. They could be retrained to call us on the mobile. We never call out on it.

I'd say probably at least 50% of the time at least I am closer to a landline than my mobile (due to having 4 of them. and not being one to wander round gripping my mobile all the time). It's certainly convenient. (I can understand if I only had one, having to run from one end of the modest house to another might be a pain.)

The landline is part of a Virgin package and last time I asked they said the package would cost me more if I had the line removed from it.

The phones are paid for so it costs me nothing (well, except I might be about to buy a replacement! But £20 won't bankrupt me!) If it was costing me much it would go.
I need a landline for broadband and the Plusnet package gives me free anytime calls. We've got four as it was a one off cost about five years ago and the mobile signal down here is not 100% reliable. Better since we've been with Tesco on the 02 network but our previous provider Vodafone was hopeless.
 DECT phone connectivity - Biggles
Of course you could use your iPhone to connect to the DECT base station ...
I don't think my Motorolo can do that.
That's clever, and the same app is available for Android too tinyurl.com/27n2v6kw but you need the right model of Panasonic too , which I don't have.

Good call though, thx
 DECT phone connectivity - sherlock47
>> Dump the landline
>>

As I have FTTP for Broadband, BT are moving landline numbers over to VOIP ( I have had the info , now waiting for a date). They will provide for free a single VOIP Wifi cordless phone (£45) for free, or one ' Digital voice Adapter' (£15) for free for connexion of an existing phone.

The problem that they do not address is where you have fixed wiring with maybe 4 or 5 phones in the house including an extension in an outbuilding that is outside the range of the BT router!

And the the old Master socket is on the opposite side of the house to the Fibre modem and Router.

Whilst I am pretty sure that I willl find a way (probably using an existing REN extender) and some extra cabling, it is probably beyond the average user. people with very large properties and small PABXs will definitely have problems.
 DECT phone connectivity - Robbie34
I recently bought two new Panasonic dect phones as one of Panasonic phones had become faulty. No problem registering the old phone to the new ones.

Get another Panasonic and there will be no problem.
Latest Forum Posts