Non-motoring > Octopus Saving Sessions. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 21

Octopus Saving Sessions. - R.P.
We're Octopus customers ( on a fixed rate !)- they have saving sessions at peak times whereby if you save at least an unit of energy (gas or electric) at peak hours you get a small cash rebate. This has been taking place between 5 and 6.30pm - so we turn anything off that uses energy and have saved the price of a pint over three sessions !

The other benefit is an hour of complete calm - it's actually more rewarding mentally than finacially...what a brilliant idea.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - zippy
I turned all I could off (not the freezers).

I agree, it was calming. Really nice.

Expect this is all phycology though. They will get us used to saving electricity at peak times then introduce a higher unit cost at these times. Expect £1 a unit between 17 and 18:30 in the future.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - bathtub tom
I'm in it and all we do is not use the dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer and electric oven for that hour. It does mean we change our dinner time (SWMBO doesn't like it - her late father insisted on sitting down at 6:00pm precisely for his meat and two veg).

It's not 17:00-18:30, it varies.

The website says I've saved £1.70 over a couple of sessions, the third and fourth haven't come up yet.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - Bromptonaut
I thought for a minute this was a thread about rescuing stranded Cephalopods....
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 2 Dec 22 at 23:03
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - smokie
I'm sure I opted in to this week's but it says I didn't. Anyway my usage the previous week (is that what it compares with?) was well under a kw at the appropriate time so I'm not sure how I can better that.

We've been pretty good at reducing usage for some years now. Not a lot I can do to shave more off our bills.
>> I'm sure I opted in to this week's but it says I didn't. Anyway my
>> usage the previous week (is that what it compares with?) was well under a kw
>> at the appropriate time so I'm not sure how I can better that.

There were two this week, Wednesday and Thursday. The Thursday one had very little warning, I received the email late the previous evening.
So there were. I only saw one. I don't think I get emails, just a phone notification.

It's still calculating the Tuesday one, but I know last week I used 0.505 kWh in the relevant hour and this week 0.47 kWh. That won't go far towards Christmas!!

I'm not sure whether to feel a bit hard done by, as I really can't cut down much more. I suppose a battery might allow me to, but that's cost a bob or three!!
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - CGNorwich

>>
>> Expect this is all phycology though.

I don’t get the connection with studying algae. :-)
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - Runfer D'Hills
My goodness, I can hardly wait to retire now!
All these exciting things to do eh?
;-))
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - legacylad
I’m with Octopus and never heard of a Saving Session.
Maybe I’m on the wrong tariff...I never did get around to seeing what tariff I’m on, but I shall one day.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - zippy
>> I’m with Octopus and never heard of a Saving Session.
>> Maybe I’m on the wrong tariff...I never did get around to seeing what tariff I’m
>> on, but I shall one day.
>>

You need a smart meter and they will have sent you an opt-in email a couple of months back.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - legacylad
Octopus send me lots of emails about getting a smart meter.
I delete them
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - neiltoo
At first sight I thought this said Octopus SHAVING Sessions.......

Fairly esoteric!

8o)
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - tyrednemotional
>> At first sight I thought this said Octopus SHAVING Sessions.......
>>
>> Fairly esoteric!
>>
>> 8o)
>>

...and quite a long job if it's underarm....
Ha, that made me think of a video embedded in a Philips ad for a haircutting product I bought recently. The funny bit is at about 36 seconds but it's better to watch the whole bit till then rather than skip, to make it humorous. It's quite an amusing ad. And I'm not in it!

Click the middle pic under the picture to watch. tinyurl.com/4n5c4p7x
..and quite a long job if it's underarm....

Here are the keys to the internet...you've earned them.
Two hour session tonight at a critical time of day it seems (between 5pm and 7pm) - ate our dinner/tea/supper by candle-light and then listened to the radio - it was quite cool actually. The Session today was in half hour segments so you could opt in or out.
>> The Session today was in half hour segments so you could opt in or out.

Didn't realise that. SWMBO was going to bake some fish in the oven, did a stir fry on the gas instead.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - car4play
They sent the notification email literally a few hours earlier. Just enough time for me to recharge the batteries and then have no usage from 5-7.

The problem is they pay out what you save over normal usage at this time, which with batteries is very little, unless of course I charge them every day for an hour between 5 and 6 to last the rest of the evening till 00:30. Kind of defeats the purpose of saving most at the time of highest demand in the country.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - sooty123
I think I saw something about this, the government asked several coal fired power stations to stay up and running. They have been running quite a bit as there's little wind with the current weather situation.
 Octopus Saving Sessions. - Bromptonaut
>> I think I saw something about this, the government asked several coal fired power stations
>> to stay up and running. They have been running quite a bit as there's little
>> wind with the current weather situation.

The coal fired plants at Ratcliffe and West Burton have been reprieved from closure at least until next year. Ratcliffe's cooling towers were pouring out vapour on Saturday.

Further plant at Drax, where the main fuel is biomass, was stood by yesterday but released later.
I didn't see any notification about the power hour this time. Not that they are very useful to me!

I came across this page yesterday which shows data on what's in use at any given time. I know it's available elsewhere, an example underneath.

terravolt.co.uk/uk-grid-visual/

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Latest Forum Posts