Non-motoring > Grimsby and trains. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 17

Grimsby and trains. - R.P.
Well it worked out quite well in the end.

Bought a "split" ticket for the journey and it saved £25.00 for the one way trip - the train from Rhyl was one of the new Class 197 that Transport for Wales has spent money on, it was nearly 10 minutes late arriving and only had one functioning toilet. I have a decent bladder and the 2 hour trip to Manchester Oxford Road was comfortable enough. The Trans Pennine Express was a class 185 - it was clean and comfortable but seemed quite old. There was a trolley service and it advertised sandwiches but didn't stock them "not much call for them" said the trolley bloke ! Anyway it got me into Grimsby 3 minutes late which was ok. Had I known the trained ran to Cleethorpes I would have booked a hotel there. I had dithered about using the Spoons hotel just by the railway but opted for the Holiday Inn which cost fractionally more on the discounted rate I got it on a corporate discount card. The Spoons looked like a scene from a Western, security on the doors and packed with punters...It sounded pretty rough at tea time and lot worse later on when I was trying to hunt down an Indian (which as it turned out was opposite the Holiday Inn. The Spice of Life was actually superb, one of the best Indian meals I've had in ages. Early night watching telly for me. Town centre was er...rough. Would I make the same decisions again, yes of course. It was a pleasant enough adventure.

Oh and the TP express had one working bog. On advice of the conductor, seems it was best avoided.

Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 22 Apr 23 at 22:52
 Grimsby and trains. - Ted

I used TPE on Thursday. Used split ticketing with my TfGM bus pass as far as Greenfield and then rail ticket to Deighton. £7 for the whole return trip. Outward from Manchester Piccadilly and back to Victoria. Tram across town back to Picc where my car was parked. No tram or parking costs.

Not sure what the train was...had a pointy front so maybe a 185. Very clean and comfortable but full of students. Newcastle to Liverpool.

Had a very nice lunch at ' The Royal & Ancient ' in Bradley with a pair of former work colleagues.

Always good to get back to the better side of the Pennines though !

Ted
 Grimsby and trains. - Zero
The Trans Pennine Express was a class 185 -
>> it was clean and comfortable but seemed quite old.

At least 13 years old, refurbed in 2018
 Grimsby and trains. - Fullchat
Glad you enjoyed your trip. In view of the pick up location never occurred to me to advise you continue onto Cleethorpes where there is a suitable Travelodge.
I'm afraid 'Top Town' seems to have declined somewhat.

We had a weekend with the caravan near Beverley...nice place. Had a foray over the bridge to Cleethorpes. We both thought it was a dump, didn't even stop for a coffee. It was raining though !

Ted
Which site were you on Ted?

Back in the day when I was on the beat patrolling the seafront at Cleethorpes I overheard a strong Yorkshire voice, "Heyup tha can see France".

I hadn't the heart to tell them it was Spurn Point on the other side of the Humber. :)

If you want to baseline resorts Withernsea takes some beating and you could have saved £3 return on the bridge :)

Grimsby and trains. - legacylad
An ex worked in sales so occasionally I’d chauffeur her around in her company car...had a few customers in Grimsby, Cleethorpes and Louth and we’d stay overnight in a Best Western.

I too thought Cleethorpes a dump...Ingoldmells had a pleasure beach from memory.
 Grimsby and trains. - John Boy
I've been to Grimsby twice. The first was in the 60's when a relative took me to experience a pub with sawdust on the floor. The second was more recently when we were on holiday in Lincolnshire. We went to the Grimsby Fishing Heritage Museum and were particularly impressed by sound and vision effects together with a moving floor in a room which simulated being on a trawler at night. We also had a guided tour by a retired fisherman on a preserved trawler. He had such a loud voice that I eventually asked him why he was shouting. It turned out that he’d spent his career in an engine room and had become deaf as a result.
>> Which site were you on Ted?

Must be 10 yrs ago now FC. I've searched GooMaps but nothing springs out. I'm sure it was west of Beverley, perhaps North Cave area.

Just a bungalow with half a dozen pitches arranged in a circle. Nice couple owned it and he had a workshop with a couple of classic cars and a ramp.....a dream in the day for me !

Ted
Does this look familiar Ted?

goo.gl/maps/SftciraSBmGyD4os9

{link to Google maps shortened to restore correct page width}
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 25 Apr 23 at 13:20

Sadly not although that looks nice. Ours was more open with fewer hedges and the garage was attched to the house at the front, facing the road with a parking area. Drive was flat as well.

Ted
Should have added....Grimsby must have a wealthy end. Quite a number of well known banks with real branches you can walk into (ideally without a shooter) you don't see branches in towns around here anymore. The other indicator was a full size M&S Foodhall on the main street, they are located with precision to attract a more affluent customer. As I circumnavicated the town on the way home, there seemed to be a sharper wealthier bit (passed Halfords for those that know) the docks seemed jam-packed with Volvos and Defenders - Are Defenders made in Austria these days ?
 Grimsby and trains. - tyrednemotional

>> - Are Defenders made in Austria these days ?
>>

...Slovakia..
Ah yes...
Just looking at the map of the area - when I saw mention of Spurn Head, I sailed that way en-route to Germany in 2009 when friends treated me to a trip after my first wife died. How time has flown.
 Grimsby and trains. - CGNorwich
Scartho, a suburban village just to the south of Grimsby is actually rather pleasant with good facilities and housing prices home county dwellers will be amazed by.
 Grimsby and Trains. - Fullchat
Known locally as Scaffa :)
Grimsby/Cleethorpes (Its all one really) is surrounded by more affluent areas on its edges. The most desirable probably being Humberston, particularly Humberston Ave. There are some lovely frontal houses but the real gems are situated along driveways to the rear.
I recall one night attending 'Intruders on' at one property and running along the muddy driveway through the front door and immediately confronted with an expensive looking whiteish carpet. Emergency braking and a domino effect of coppers in the hallway. "Dont worry It'll clean they're upstairs." They were actually downstairs by way of a ladder and gone but at least I got a good look round checking the property. Wow! I believe it had some connection to The Cosalt group. Well connected to the fishing industry.
Surrounding Lincolnshire Wolds villages are also very desirable.
 Grimsby and Trains. - CGNorwich
I like Louth. Did consider buying a place there.
Latest Forum Posts