Non-motoring > More refugees drown Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 6

More refugees drown - bathtub tom
The latest story involves a boat with 45 on board. It's reported the boat capsized and despite 15 wearing life jackets, only 4 survived.
Aerial pictures show the (apparently metal, 20') boat upright and dry with the survivors in it. I'm surprised they righted it and what happened to those that didn't survive?
I know you can't depend on the press to report accurately, but is there more to this than meets the eye?
 More refugees drown - Manatee
I know nowt about boats but apparently they are usually cheap, basically unseaworthy inflatables that are visibly overloaded with minimal freeboard. A high wave will just wash over them taking people with it.
 More refugees drown - zippy
I don't know what the answer or solution to this needs to be.

I do know it's a dreadful waste of life and wish there was a better way.

It seems only a few weeks ago that there was a similar tragedy near Greece.

(I guess the impossible answer is to make the migrants' countries, safe, prosperous, provide decent education and social mobility and healthcare with the wealth that is probably being stolen by western conglomerates and corrupt officials.)
 More refugees drown - Zero

>> (I guess the impossible answer is to make the migrants' countries, safe, prosperous, provide decent
>> education and social mobility and healthcare with the wealth that is probably being stolen by
>> western conglomerates and corrupt officials.)

Its being stolen by their own home grown corrupt officials and elected (HA!) governments and leaders/despots/dictators
 More refugees drown - smokie
Climate change will become a major driver for migration from hotter countries in the not too distant, as local food becomes more difficult to grow and living conditions get unbearably hot for extended periods. And of course poor local economies and corrupt politics add to the desirability to relocate.

In a similar vein, I read somewhere that the holiday companies are already looking at places to offer which are a bit less hot than parts of Europe have been this year.
 More refugees drown - bathtub tom
>> I know nowt about boats but apparently they are usually cheap, basically unseaworthy inflatables that
>> are visibly overloaded with minimal freeboard. A high wave will just wash over them taking
>> people with it.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66448987
That hardly looks like a "cheap, basically unseaworthy inflatables that
are visibly overloaded with minimal freeboard".
 More refugees drown - Terry
The boat in the picture is the one they "found" floating empty after their original craft sunk.

Something doesn't ring true - it is very rare that following a shipwreck, floating on an inflated tyre, one comes across an empty boat. Odds - somewhere between 10,000 and 1m to 1??

The reason the gangs use unseaworthy overloaded boats is that they are cheap. They get the fare in advance, and don't expect to get the boat back to use a second time. Why waste money on something with a reliable engine and safety gear.
Latest Forum Posts