Non-motoring > Weatherspoons deal Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 16

Weatherspoons deal - henry k
Wetherspoon is launching a January sale next week - with pints costing just £1.99. Pub giant JD Wetherspoon is reducing the price of a range of drinks and meals from Tuesday, January 2 until Wednesday, January 17, or from Wednesday, January 3, for its Scotland pubs.

tinyurl.com/yvvlf6jm
 Weatherspoons deal - CGNorwich
Don’t think I’ve ever chosen a pub on the basis of the price of its beer. Probably why I’ve only ever ventured into a couple of Weatherspoons.
 Weatherspoons deal - Robin O'Reliant
I went to one last night for a meal and a few drinks on a colleagues birthday.

Food was cafe standard at best and the portions were fairly meagre. Not a bad night, but it wouldn't be my choice.
 Weatherspoons deal - Bromptonaut
>> Food was cafe standard at best and the portions were fairly meagre. Not a bad
>> night, but it wouldn't be my choice.

But you probably knew before you went that was the upper and lower limit of expectations.

To me 'spoons is a does what it says on the tin experience and pretty well standardised across the entirety of their estate.
 Weatherspoons deal - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>>
>> But you probably knew before you went that was the upper and lower limit of
>> expectations.
>>
>>
>>

I had no idea what it would be like. This is only the second time I have been in a 'Spoons and the last was over a quarter of a century ago. They're ok for what they are, but a bit soul less for my tastes.
 Weatherspoons deal - CGNorwich
Thats kind of my view. If I'm going out for a drink or a meal I like decent surrounding, a good atmosphere and, if I'm eating, above average food, The price of a pint of beer doesn't really enter the equation. If I want cheap booze I can go to the supermarket.

Other opinions may vary of course
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 28 Dec 23 at 14:32
 Weatherspoons deal - R.P.
Spoons are fine -they occasionally have some great craft ales. I don't patronise them more than a couple of times a year. I avoided the one in Grimsby when I collected the Audi. If you're ever in Rhyl, I'd avoid that, the one in Ruthin (down the road) is actually OK
 Weatherspoons deal - R.P.
The ones I visited in 2023 were....Ruthin, Lancaster and Oswestry. There are some remarkable indy pubs, anyone in Barmouth should visit the Queens, and if you're in Rhyl, drive to Rhuddlan and visit the Castle - the Landlord keeps a lovely little pub and has Theakstons on drafft..
 Weatherspoons deal - Bobby
Used to always go to the huge spoons in Oban but I boycotted them briefly after Brexit and covid.
Found another 2 local pubs which were both fantastic and any time I am in Oban they get my custom rather the spoons.
 Weatherspoons deal - bathtub tom
I'll use them if available. OK, the food's mediocre, at best, as are the prices. What I really like about them are the guest ales. There's always a few on tap and I've never had a bad pint, unlike many pubs that think it's alright to serve rancid, old stuff.
 Wetherspoons deal - Duncan
I was in 'spoons in Woking last week with my cycling chums. Small cod and chips with a soft drink - £7 odd.

What excellent value!

This chap had three Wetherspoons meals in a day in London - breakfast in Surbiton, lunch in Leicester Square and dinner in Victoria station, complete with pigeons.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSqjICMfQSI
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 15 Jan 24 at 09:29
 Wetherspoons deal - zippy
>> I was in 'spoons in Woking last week with my cycling chums. Small cod and
>> chips with a soft drink - £7 odd.
>>
>> What excellent value!
>>

That is excellent value. On Friday evening, I didn’t get any change from £50 for 3 large cod and chips from a chippy.
 Wetherspoons deal - Terry
No problems with W as such but I regard them as fuel stops rather than destinations - cheap (good), mediocre food, ambience and atmosphere basic.

As I rarely consume more than a pint (however good) at a time the attractions of saving £20 on an evenings excess are somewhat lost on me.
>> No problems with W as such but I regard them as fuel stops rather than
>> destinations - cheap (good), mediocre food, ambience and atmosphere basic.

To some degree, I agree with you, it's the people that refuse to visit 'spoons ever, that I find to be a disproportionate response.
 Wetherspoons deal - CGNorwich
What I find odd is that once having experienced a Wetherspoons meal anyone ever returns. I’d risk a pint or a coffee but having eaten a few times at the instigation of others wild horses could not drag me into another for lunch.
>> wild horses could not drag me into another for lunch.
>>

So, it's not all bad news for us 'spoons goers, then?
 Wetherspoons deal - Kevin
Here ya go Duncan;

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-67922872

All your holidays sorted.
Latest Forum Posts