Non-motoring > The birds. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 15

The birds. - Manatee
The corvids are up to something. Yesterday morning 11 jackdaws in bac garden. Today 5 magpies.

The boss has gone to some trouble to get big-bird resistant feeders. They don't like it. We hoped they would just go somewhere else but they seem to be massing. No songbirds ATM.
 The birds. - Bromptonaut
Seen magenpies in threes and fours both around home and while away for the weekend near Denham.

On Saturday morning they were mobbing a Jay by the car park at Gerrards Cross station.
 The birds. - legacylad
Shoot em. Hate magpies.
My nephew won medals in Forces for his marksmanship. And rightly so.
 The birds. - Bromptonaut
>> Shoot em. Hate magpies.

Does the law allow shooting of magenpies?
 The birds. - Zero
No, unless your prove serious agricultural damage or protection of public health.
 The birds. - CGNorwich
They are beautiful and intelligent birds. Fascinating to watch. Why would you want to kill them?

Did you know that that the name comes from Maggie Pie, a bit like Robin Redbreast, Jennie Wren Jack Daw and Tom Tit.
 The birds. - sooty123
Does the law allow shooting of magenpies?
>>

They are shot widely by farmers, they are considered a nuisance. I can't remember if they come under general licence though.
 The birds. - Zero
>> Does the law allow shooting of magenpies?
>> >>
>>
>> They are shot widely by farmers, they are considered a nuisance. I can't remember if
>> they come under general licence though.

They are covered under general license, but the farmer still has to justify significant crop damage
 The birds. - Kevin
Pretty sure that latest General License only allows shooting or trapping magpies if they're attacking livestock or for protection of other wild critters on the Conservation list.
I could shoot/trap 'em because we have Bullfinch and they're on the list.
 The birds. - sooty123
>> They are covered under general license,

Ah right I'd forgotten.

but the farmer still has to justify significant crop
>> damage
>>

Theoretically quite possible, in practical terms there's pretty much nil chance of having to justify anything of the sort.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 30 Jan 24 at 19:12
 The birds. - sooty123
>> Shoot em. Hate magpies.
>> My nephew won medals in Forces for his marksmanship. And rightly so.
>>

Did he shoot magpies ? ;)
 The birds. - R.P.
I love all birds (apart from refugee Seagulls from Rhyl that appear here now and again. Salute the Magpies as my ancestors would. Noticed quite a lot of Crows in the garden this winter - they usuall engage in battles with the squirrels from next door. Lots of regular "garden" birds. The menace here is domestic cats - They get their cards marked by the dog occasionally. Horrid things.
 The birds. - Manatee
>>The menace here is domestic cats

The owners don't like them to be referred to as bird murderers, do they?

I don't hate the corvids and I wouldn't shoot them, but they push the little birds around and scare them off. CGN's right, they are clever and always figure out how to get food out of the feeders, however difficult. We thought we had an impregnable one they they couldn't hang on to or perch on but they just bash into it to spill the food out.
 The birds. - CGNorwich

>>
>> Did he shoot magpies ? ;)
>>
I guess he kept missing the bull and the inner.
 The birds. - bathtub tom
Around here, magpies seem to relish sitting on ridge tiles and tearing apart fledglings.
 The birds. - CGNorwich
Surprised you have any fledglings about in January. Most magpies I see on my roof are seeking out insects under the moss which they lob down on to the patio. Yes they will raid nests but so do many other birds. Woodpeckers are particularly good at it. Just consider that a blue tit can lay up to a dozen eggs and have two or three broods a year. If they all survived we would be knee deep in the things.

There are no good birds or bad birds. They are all just trying to survive.

Latest Forum Posts