Non-motoring > One of my heroes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 47

One of my heroes - John Boy
Banksy

streetartutopia.com/2023/05/12/24-artworks-by-banksy-who-is-the-visionary-of-street-art/
 One of my heroes - CGNorwich
One man's visionary street art is another's childish graffiti I'm afraid
 One of my heroes - Duncan
I thought this was going to be about Barry John, a rugby hero who died today.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68170605
 One of my heroes - smokie
I like a bit of Banksy, got quite a few on my office wall actually (postcards and the like, not the real thing!). I find his humour and the way he creates the pics to "fit in" quite clever.
 One of my heroes - Zero
Yes, certainly not "childish graffiti"
 One of my heroes - zippy
I enjoy his work.

He also has a social conscience...

www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/street-artist-banksy-steps-in-to-save-bristol-s-broad-plain-boys--club.html

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-56497104
If he has a social conscience why does he persist on making his daubings on other peoples’s property and creating a precedent for others even less talented than himself?
 One of my heroes - Zero
I don't see any of the other people complaining. Mabe you should change your id? may I suggest philistine-norwich?
Charlie Brooker seems to share my view.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/sep/22/arts.visualarts
 One of my heroes - VxFan
>> Charlie Brooker

Unlike Banksy, I've never heard of him. Is he supposed to be famous or something?
 One of my heroes - Bromptonaut
>> >> Charlie Brooker
>>
>> Unlike Banksy, I've never heard of him. Is he supposed to be famous or something?

A sort of journalistic shockjock....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brooker

>>
>> Unlike Banksy, I've never heard of him.
>>
Which is kind of the point. Banksy’s real talent is for self publicity and making money. An indifferent artist who has less talent than the average newspaper cartoonist.
 One of my heroes - Bromptonaut
>> Which is kind of the point. Banksy’s real talent is for self publicity and making
>> money. An indifferent artist who has less talent than the average newspaper cartoonist.

The suggestion that Banksy's art is analogous to that of a newspaper cartoon is probably about right.

However that art, just in terms of drawing and before adding a dose of satire or whatever, is of a pretty high order.
 One of my heroes - Zero
>> Charlie Brooker seems to share my view.
>>
>> www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/sep/22/arts.visualarts

This article is more than 17 years old

Well you had to, quite literally, drag the bottom of the pond for that support didn't you!
What difference does that make? Right then and right now.
 One of my heroes - Zero
>> What difference does that make? Right then and right now.

History my ole son, history.

Seems Brooker changed hs mind after he wrote that.

twitter.com/charltonbrooker/status/635015578613321728?lang=en

Looks like you are on your own now.

>>
>> Looks like you are on your own now.
>>

Not really

thecritic.co.uk/issues/january-2020/banksy-and-the-triumph-of-banality/
 One of my heroes - Rudedog
BBC Sounds still has a series on him - I got the impression that he might not have made a fortune from his work but others have.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/m001nwhs

One of my heroes - Duncan
>>
>> Well you had to, quite literally, drag the bottom of the pond for that support
>> didn't you!
>>

NO. No. No.

He may have metaphorically dragged the bottom of the pond, but it certainly wasn't literally.

You haven't improved with keeping.
I did clean out my aquarium at the weekend so he was sort of correct.
 One of my heroes - Terry
Most graffiti - poorly executed slogans, minority cause publicity, tags for those with low self esteem, etc.

Banksy expresses through his graffiti some clever/thoughtful ideas other "artists" cannot. Whether it is vandalism to donate to a wall some imagery possibly worth £100k+++ is debateable. Had the artist have been a Monet or Matisse would that change an opinion.

That the imagery is not immediately redolent of "fine art" qualities does not make it unworthy.

I recently s visited a museum in Malaga which had a Picasso exhibition. Big name, high value, but much could have been the product of a 5 year old daubing in primary school. Art like beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder.
 One of my heroes - zippy
>>Art like beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

A friend of mine is an accomplished sculpture and sells his stuff for loads. Whilst some pieces are undoubtedly beautiful, they don't have that emotional connection that one sometimes gets when looking at a piece that moves you.
 One of my heroes - legacylad

>> when looking at a piece that moves you.
>>
Like a Routemaster ? :-)
"a piece that moves you. "

The Troggs and Wild Thing came to mind
 One of my heroes - Zero
The latest Banksy, is very very clever. Its almost a stroke of sheer artistic genius.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68596824
 One of my heroes - zippy
>> The latest Banksy, is very very clever. It’s almost a stroke of sheer artistic genius.
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68596824
>>

Loved it when I saw photos of it earlier , though it wasn’t confirmed as one of Banksy’s at the time.

I was flicking through pictures of the news and this one picture made me stop pause and enjoy the image.

I guess that’s what it’s all about.
 One of my heroes - bathtub tom
As someone said: Let's see them nick that one.
Banksy's urban tree artwork defaced with white paint www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68612242

Sort of an improvement don’t you think?
 One of my heroes - Terry
The original work/graffiti (depending on POV) was at least competently applied, with some degree of artistic talent, and an attempt at humour. I am not sure whether there is a deeper message as with some of his other work.

I struggle to think how the addition of white paint adds to the composition. It could be simple vandalism, manifest envy of the clearly more talented, or maybe a protest at the gross distortion of value in the artworld.

Unlike the original it has all the qualities of of application by an inadequate - possibly applied by one whose artistic skill is on much the same level as a 2 year engaged in philosophical debate.
“struggle to think how the addition of white paint adds to the composition. “

Although the slash of Brilliant White emulsion might appear to the untutored eye as mere vandalism a careful study reveals an artfully applied contrast to the dominant green revealing and emphasising the inherent conflict in the artwork and highlighting the inner turmoil and struggle the mind of the artist and reflecting the crumbling urban environment.
 One of my heroes - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Although the slash of Brilliant White emulsion might appear to the untutored eye as mere
>> vandalism a careful study reveals an artfully applied contrast to the dominant green revealing >>an emphasising the inherent conflict in the artwork and highlighting the inner turmoil and >>struggle the mind of the artist and reflecting the crumbling urban environment.
>>
>>

I was going to say that.

Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Wed 20 Mar 24 at 20:37
Maybe it was Banksy who dunnit!
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 20 Mar 24 at 20:39
 One of my heroes - tyrednemotional
>> Although the slash of Brilliant White emulsion might appear to the untutored eye as mere
>> vandalism a careful study reveals an artfully applied contrast to the dominant green revealing and
>> emphasising the inherent conflict in the artwork and highlighting the inner turmoil and struggle the
>> mind of the artist and reflecting the crumbling urban environment.
>>

...you ain't no Brian Sewell...
Indeed.

Brian on Banksy

“Any fool who can put paint on canvas or turn a cardboard box into a sculpture is lauded. Banksy should have been put down at birth. It’s no good as art, drawing or painting. His work has no virtue. It’s merely the sheer scale of his impudence that has given him so much publicity.”

On Tracey Emin

“The sane man must ask whether he should give any of this pretentious stuff the time of day in aesthetic terms when it seems that this self-regarding exhibitionist is ignorant, inarticulate, talentless, loutish and now very rich.”

On female artists

“There has never been a first-rank woman artist. Only men are capable of aesthetic greatness. Women make up 50% or more of classes at art school. Yet they fade away in their late 20s or 30s. Maybe it’s something to do with bearing children.”
 One of my heroes - tyrednemotional
...sorry, perhaps you are.... ;-)
 One of my heroes - BiggerBadderDave
Brian on Banksy. 'Any fool who can put paint on canvas or turn a cardboard box into a sculpture is lauded'

Me: Cheers, mate, I paint on canvas, and occasionally, even make money from it. Laud me.

Brian Sewage on Tracey Emin: 'The sane man must ask whether he should give any of this pretentious stuff the time of day in aesthetic terms... ...ignorant, inarticulate, loutish...'

Me: I love her work. Always have. And I'd love to do her, too.

Brian Sewage on female artists: 'Only men are capable of aesthetic greatness'.

Me: Jesus, where TF shall I start? Centuries of oppression and misogyny might have something to do with it, but I'll just start with a few of my faves... Mary Cassatt, Frida Kahlo, Faith Ringgold, Elisabeth Vigée-Lebrun, Margaret Keane (there's a Hollywood movie about her, watch it), and of course, Tracey Emin.

Brian Sewage on his personal taste: Well, I can't fault him on that. He drove a 560 SEC for a start, and I'd love one of those. But more importantly, I was once in a lift with him in the Daily Mail and I caught him ogling my ass in the mirrors. Now that man clearly had taste.

As much as I often used to disagree (but occasionally agree) with him, I always loved his pieces in the Standard., I was quite upset when he went.
 One of my heroes - BiggerBadderDave
I meant Brian Sewell, Sorry...
 One of my heroes - Zero
>> Indeed.
>>
>> Brian on Banksy

That you and Brian Sewell share many thoughts surprises me not one jot.
Apart from his disdain for Banksy and Emin I’m not sure that I do. He was for example a great lover of dogs, something that he has perhaps more in common with you than me. He did like to expose the pretentious and untalented and thus made many enemies in the art world.

One of his great programs was when he and a group of critics discussed the work of an unknown artist. Most were full of gushing praise. Sewell thought it without merit. It turned out that it had been painted by an elephant,
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 21 Mar 24 at 09:10
 One of my heroes - Zero
TBF, I think Emins work is almost universally pure carp, and apart from being a superb self publicist is as dumb and talentless as a bird feeder.

I do admire her drive to live after her severe brush with cancer tho.
 One of my heroes - Terry
Fundamental question - what is art?.

Superficially great art could simply be a matter of personal opinion - if you like it, great, even though others regard it as a talentless daub.

A deeper analysis may focus on precision, technique, ideas and concepts, emotions engendered, humour, philosophical debates etc etc etc.

That anyone would pay several £mm for a Banksy or Tracy in completely bonkers, but no more so than paying similar amounts for a Matisse, Monet, Picasso and the gang. They are a few square inches of oil and canvas, not the meaning of life or proof of Gods existence!

Some may have seen a TV show which seeks to authenticate art including using x-rays, paint analysis, etc to determine its provenance. That assessed as genuine by the experts may be worth 10-100 times more than "in the style of" or "from the school of" etc.

That 21st century scientific analysis is needed to distinguish real from fake, when close visual inspection can discern no difference is a testament to either the stupidity of the art world, or the value of scarcity.

In economics there is a concept - "money is what money buys". Perhaps those who place such ridiculously high values on "art" should be pitied rather than ridiculed for their foolishness.
“Fundamental question What is Art.”

When the flush of a new-born sun fell first on Eden's green and gold,
Our father Adam sat under the Tree and scratched with a stick in the mould;
And the first rude sketch that the world had seen was joy to his mighty heart,
Till the Devil whispered behind the leaves, "It's pretty, but is it Art ?"

Conundrum of the Workshops

Rudyard Kipling

CG Norwich, with discerning eye,
Sees past the brushstrokes, to the truth that lies,
In form and line, in light and shade, they find,
The essence pure, that stirs the artist's mind.

AI Bard, 2024 :-)
 One of my heroes - neiltoo
>>>TBF, I think Emins work is almost universally pure carp, and apart from being a superb self publicist is as dumb and talentless as a bird feeder.

I do admire her drive to live after her severe brush with cancer tho.

Pretty much my view.

I saw an exhibition of her work in Malaga some years ago: "the tent" was the main attraction.
There ws a collection of her drawings, and without exception, I'm better.

True about the cancer, and I hope she survives. She's done a lot for Margate.
 One of my heroes - Rudedog
If Banksy is not your thing maybe try a bit of Mark Rothko.

www.nga.gov/features/mark-rothko/mark-rothko-classic-paintings.html

One of my heroes - zippy
>> If Banksy is not your thing maybe try a bit of Mark Rothko.
>>
>> www.nga.gov/features/mark-rothko/mark-rothko-classic-paintings.html
>>

I think this one is upsidedown!

www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.67514.html
 One of my heroes - legacylad
www.artnet.com/artists/yves-klein/

Check out his work. A few decades ago I backpacked from Briancon along the GR5 to Nice, where I’d arranged to meet my French gf of the time. There was an Yves Klein exhibition in the MOMA and we spent hours pretentiously discussing his work…I loved his vivid blue, and footage of his ‘performance art’.

In reality I just wanted to get inside her pants.
Do you still cross dress?
Latest Forum Posts