Non-motoring > Where is dog? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 51

Where is dog? - Pat
Has anyone realised he hasn't posted since 14th October?
I've missed him and do hope he isn't unwell.

Pat
 Where is dog? - R.P.
I'll drop him an e-mail.
 Where is dog? - Zero
Send him a bone
 Where is dog? - R.P.
Hope he wasn't wandering around Dartmoor in his Stag suit.
 Where is dog? - Zero
He was a BIG lad.

The stag that is - not dog.
 Where is dog? - Iffy
He's taken time off in the past, but always returned as a good dog should.

Where is dog? - Perky Penguin
He is in the dog house for doing rude things to a visitor's leg!
 Where is dog? - MD
Got caught not picking it up and now he's in the pound!

M
 Where is dog? - Cliff Pope
>> I'll drop him an e-mail.
>>

Has he learned to pick up emails? Clever doggie!
 Where is dog? - Dog
>>Has anyone realised he hasn't posted since 14th October?
I've missed him and do hope he isn't unwell.<<

Thank you for your concern Pat,

Laying on the beach in The Seychelles with 2 of my 5 wives trying to work out how to spend my €uromi££ions (would be nice!)

The reality is that 4 weeks ago I put my back out bending over to defrost the blimmin freezer:)

I have suffered with back pain on and orf caused by bending over car engines for a living, usually its gorn within a week or so but this time its knocked me for 6:(

I've been in too much pain to even get my qwerty out, in fact doing anything except laying flat out was just too much pain, the chilly minors rescue kept me going to a certain extent and I'm very interested in learning about how they survived the first 17 days, not knowing if they would be rescued,

I'm not registered with any doctor as I've said before, and what could they do apart from prescribe pain killers and/or anti-inflammatory drugs,
so, being part Vulcan, I thought about it logically ...

(1) I purchased a heatpad ~ www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4428121/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATPAD.htm

(2) I purchased a back stretcher ~
www.amazon.co.uk/Bodi-Tek-Bodi-Tek-Back-Magic/dp/B001V5INF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288167266&sr=8-1

The heatpad is pure bliss whether you've got a bad back or nay,

The back stretcher is magic!
I couldn't at first get on the floor to use it as directed so I used it in bed:)
The 2nd day I used it something 'gave' in my back and I shouted out more in terror than actual pain, but things improved form then on,
Now I'm using it twice daily on the floor and had yet another bout of shouting out as my vertebrae move and realign + my lumber muscles being strrrrrrrretched!!.

I am also using MSM ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane but not in silly little capsules, I buy it in bulk (pharmaceutical grade) and take a heaped tsp in a little water every morn.
I know people who take this stuff by the half cupful every day to stop their arthritis *in its tracts*

So there you have it - the old Dog, like all canines, crawls into a darkened corner to lick his wounds when injured but I'm now 'on the mend' and mowed the lawn on Wednesday and have been out walking mutley a few times this week,
I shall use my 'Backmagic' twice daily now *For Life* and make sure this never happens to me again - use it or lose it!

Happy All Saints’ Eve ~ tinyurl.com/yhgp2lz
 Where is dog? - Badwolf
.*********
 Where is dog? - Badwolf
>> .*********

Huh?

What happened there? I only said that I was glad Dog was getting back to rude health and that Mrs B put her back our several years ago...

I feel proper naughty now... :-)
 Where is dog? - Iffy
...>> .********* Huh? What happened there?...

Something similar happened to me yesterday.

There was one word in the sentence the swear filter may not have liked, but it junked the lot and put up a string of asterisks.

Where is dog? - VxFan
To clarify how the swear filter works:-

Mild expletives will leave the first letter and put ****'s for the remainder of the word, but heavy duty expletives will trash the whole sentence and replace with just ".*********" (this is not an invite or challenge to test the swearfilter, btw).

If it was an innocent word, then that word must have also contained a hard core swear word. However I did manage to persuade the swear filter to allow Scunthorpe some time ago. If you can remember the word then email it to me and I'll look into it to see if the swear filter is misbehaving.
 Where is dog? - Badwolf
Cheers Dave, I'll try to remember what I wrote and email it to you. Must be a glitch as I hope you know that I wouldn't indulge in any industrial-strength swearing. Not on here, anyway... :-)
 Where is dog? - L'escargot
>> I'm not registered with any doctor as I've said before, and what could they do
>> apart from prescribe pain killers and/or anti-inflammatory drugs, .............

They could arrange an X-ray, and perhaps refer you to a spinal/neurological consultant. You might then get an MRI scan and a bone density measurement test, and whatever treatment the consultant specifies.

Register with a doctor and get access to the full scope of NHS treatment.
Never underestimate the power of prescription strength anti-inflammatories. Some years ago I did something to aggravate an very old injury which had invoved crushed lumbar vertebrae (aircraft mishap). As a temporary measure I got around on a Zimmer frame, much to amusement of my sympathetic students. I took the max permitted dose of Brufen, the pink ones that look a bit like Smarties, and I was back flying within 48 hours. Self-medication is not necessarily a good thing "He who treats himself has a fool for a doctor" Bad backs are so common most GPs have the answer. Give one a try and good luck!
 Where is dog? - Dog
>>Register with a doctor and get access to the full scope of NHS treatment. <<

Cheers L'esc, as PP says "I have a fool for a doctor" :)

I could have done with that Zimmer frame up til a few days ago,
I actually managed to wash myself for the 1st time in 2 weeks today!

Took the Almera out for a mimse and walked Milo for 20 mins ~ life's good :)
 Where is dog? - MD
Brufen and it's predecessor MAY have had a hand in my Father's demise.

I have known several folk with Dog's outlook that have missed out on better care. I sympathise with their view/s, but they are wrong. Seek other opinions. Take the info' in. Digest and then decide. After all one doesn't have to take the Doc's advice, but usually it is a view worth 'considering'.

Hope you get better soon mate.

M
 Where is dog? - devonite
>>Methylsulfonylmethane - I buy it in bulk (pharmaceutical grade) - to stop their arthritis *in its tracts*<<

where from?? - me want!! nay, neeeed!! please tell me quick!!
 Where is dog? - PhilW
"Bad backs are so common most GPs have the answer."
Not sure about that - I spent about 30 years with intermittent back pain, usually so bad when it happened that I could not even get out of bed let alone walk. Kept going to various doctors (they usually just said lie down on a hard surface, and then handed out a few painkillers), hospitals etc and it would go away for a few months then returned. Spent a fortune on chiropractors and physios until one day the physio said, "I went on an accupuncture course last week, would you mind if I tried it on you?" I explained my terror of needles and she said that if I felt any pain she would stop. Quarter of an hour later after hearing the rattle of metallic things and lying face down I asked if she was ready to start yet. She said she had inserted 14 of the things in my back - I turned and saw these huge needles sticking out of my back. Walked out a few minutes later(had virtually crawled in!!)
That was 10 years ago - never had a twinge since.
BUT - mine was a muscle problem (old rugby injury meant that a v important back muscle wasn't working, putting strain on other which then gave up every so often).
Is your problem muscular, or disc, vertebrae, sciatica (nerve) etc? need to get that diagnosed first before getting treatment.
Lack of pain these last 10 years has been wonderful!!! Hope you can soon say the same
 Where is dog? - Dog
>>where from?? - me want!! nay, neeeed!! please tell me quick!!<<

devonite me ole son, health is a serious issue and so I would never recommend a particular treatment for anyone, even my close family, unless it was for something like a cold etc.,

Yes, I do indeed know people that have stopped arthritis *in its tracts* by taking MSM,
but that doesn't mean it would work for you,

I would suggest that you check out Marcus Webb, son-in-law of Jan de Vries, who trained under Alfred Vogel,
names that mean nothing to most people, but can be researched on the ww.

www.jandevrieshealth.co.uk/history.asp

www.jandevrieshealth.co.uk/team.asp?int_team_id=10

- - - PhilW, interesting story Re: your back pain, I would say my problem is muscular/nerve as I can walk OK,
and the pain/inflammation has moved to one side now, and is diminishing (thank God!)
 Where is dog? - Dog
A is for apple, and B is for boat,

That used to be right, but now it won't float!

Age before beauty is what we once said, But let's be a bit more realistic instead.

Now

The Alphabet:

A's for arthritis;

((B's the bad back)),

C's the chest pains,

perhaps car-d-iac?

D is for dental decay and decline, E is for eyesight, can't read that top line!

F is for fissures and fluid retention, G is for gas which I'd rather not mention.

H high blood pressure--I'd rather it low; I for incisions with scars you can show. J is for joints, out of socket, won't mend,

K is for knees that crack when they bend. L for libido, what happened to sex? M is for memory, I forget what comes next.
N is neuralgia, in nerves way down low; O is for osteo, bones that don't grow!

P for prescriptions, I have quite a few, just give me a pill and I'll be good as new!

Q is for queasy, is it fatal or flu? R is for reflux, one meal turns to two.

S is for sleepless nights, counting my fears, T is for Tinnitus; bells in my ears! :(
U is for urinary; troubles with flow; V for vertigo, that's 'dizzy,' you know.

W for worry, ? NOW what's going 'round? X is for X ray, and what might be found.
Y for another year I'm left here behind, Z is for zest I still have-- in my mind.

I've survived all the symptoms, my body's deployed, and I'm keeping twenty-six doctors fully employed!!!?
 Where is dog? - L'escargot
>> .......... I'm keeping twenty-six doctors fully employed!!!?

A mere four hours and five minutes ago you said you weren't registered with a doctor!
 Where is dog? - corax
Dog

I was off work for 3 weeks earlier this year with a trapped sciatic nerve. One day at home (during my time off) I was being very silly, and was replacing a toilet seat. As I twisted to get underneath a searing pain went through my foot and I was on the floor in agony. Somehow I managed to get to the bed and was pole-axed for a couple of hours, I literally couldn't move an inch without stabbing pain into the foot, it literally felt like it was on fire.. I rang my physio and he told me how to lie in order to take the pressure off the back and recover. And after a while I was able to move again.

Anyway, my physio, instead of giving me expensive treatments, gave me a bit of acupuncture and strong massage, but the most useful thing he did was recommend a book called 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie. In there are basic exercises that will bring you back into the correct back posture and over time will completely transform your wellbeing, backwise. The important thing is if you do these exercises on a regular basis, you should never get into a bad situation again, unless you do something really silly. If so, the book tells you how to lie in order to recover. Absolutely brilliant book and has transformed my back.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_37?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=treat+your+own+back+by+robin+mckenzie&sprefix=treat+your+own+back+by+robin+mckenzie

Bending over car engines is one of the worse things because you are bending over and keeping your legs straight, which places massive pressure on the back. Hope the above helps.

Last edited by: corax on Thu 28 Oct 10 at 20:29
 Where is dog? - Dog
Cheers corax, I did see that book on Amazon when I purchased the BackMagic and I shall now get hold of a copy.

I used to Ben Dover 5 cars a day for 14 years :)
 Where is dog? - corax
>> I used to Ben Dover 5 cars a day for 14 years :)

To be honest I don't know how the older blokes do it, I can't for very long. I thought the answer might be a harness attached to the worshop roof by a multi directional rail and holding your whole body in a horizontal position over the engine.

Might get some funny looks though :-)
 Where is dog? - MD
Going Down! o:)
 Where is dog? - R.P.
Very Wallace and Grommit.
 Where is dog? - BiggerBadderDave
"To be honest I don't know how the older blokes do it, I can't for very long. I thought the answer might be a harness attached to the worshop roof by a multi directional rail and holding your whole body in a horizontal position"

Give one of these a try: £75 well spent.

tinyurl.com/32rjkq4
 Where is dog? - R.P.
The link doesn't worry me, what does is that you actually obviously knew about it...:-)
 Where is dog? - MD
AND your point is?
I love my gadgets...
 Where is dog? - Zero
>> I love my gadgets...

That is tooo much detail.
 Where is dog? - Dog
>>Give one of these a try: £75 well spent<<.

30 squid on ebay!

:)

Fantastic. You can buy two and really have fun.
 Where is dog? - Bagpuss
Dog,

I mentioned this in the thread about heated car seats. A few years back I had back pains that gradually became worse to the extent that the ibuprofen I was shovelling down my neck didn't work any more. Went to the quack who instantly diagnosed a trapped nerve in my shoulder that had subsequently become infected along with the surrounding muscle area. I ended up with cortisone treatment and a course of physiotherapy.

According to the quack, if I'd waited another couple of days he would have sent me straight to the hospital and under the knife as an emergency case. Plus I was risking permanent disability and that generally an earlier visit results in quicker and more effective treatment. He then followed it up by saying "especially for someone of your age".

I still delay visits to the doctor as long as possible though.
 Where is dog? - Clk Sec
It's good to hear that you are feeling better, Dog.
 Where is dog? - Dog
Thanks Bagpuss & Clk Sec, I do feel much better now but I'm not 'out of the woods' yet, I'm doing 5 mins twice a day on my BackMagic devious device on which I have experienced 4 (so far) spinal realignments which are quite scary (to say the least), anyone who has visited an Osteopath/Chiro will be familiar with that!

I'm driving the car daily + walking the mutt so that's good.

Perhaps W. Rooney etc. are worth £250k p/w, considering the damage they do to their bodies over the years.
 Where is dog? - Clk Sec
Some years ago I blamed quite severe back pain on a rather soft mattress, and an equally soft sofa. Once these were dumped, we bought a bed with a more supportive mattress, and a rock-hard Chesterfield sofa (for me), the problem was resolved.
 Where is dog? - Dog
S'funny you should say that C/S, I am a tad suspicious about my mattress being too soft & unsupportive,
so will look to outing the critter mucho pronto.

Would a 'topper' do any good I wonder.
 Where is dog? - corax
>> Would a 'topper' do any good I wonder.

I've got a mattress that is memory foam, I believe the Tempur mattresses came first. I was able to take it home in the car because it comes compacted and rolled up in a stuff sack. You cut it open and the thing expands before your eyes. Amazing. I find it really good. You lie on it and it feels firm, but yields just where you need it to yield, like shoulder blades, ankles e.t.c. Very supportive.

It does feel a bit warmer than a conventional mattress in the summer, but I wouldn't go back to the old style one now.

www.firstfurniture.co.uk/products/Memory-Foam-Kingsize-Mattress-Topper.html?tduid=7931937c1c2f7a14b129c402f8a9fcaa

I don't know how effective a topper would be compared to a full mattress. Go to a shop and try them out.
 Where is dog? - Dog
>>I've got a mattress that is memory foam, I believe the Tempur mattresses came first<<.

Thanks corax, I'll check those out later.
 Where is dog? - Iffy
...I've got a mattress that is memory foam...

A mattress is a personal thing, but a memory topper transformed the bed at Iffy Towers.

It's true you only need an inch or so of thickness to get the effect.

Toppers are available for £60 or so, worth a punt I would suggest.

Where is dog? - Dog
>>Toppers are available for £60 or so, worth a punt I would suggest.

I may well go down that route Iffy - I cant quite get my head around the price of some mattresses!
 Where is dog? - corax
>> "To be honest I don't know how the older blokes do it, I can't for
>> very long. I thought the answer might be a harness attached to the worshop roof
>> by a multi directional rail and holding your whole body in a horizontal position"
>>
>> Give one of these a try: £75 well spent.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/32rjkq4

OK OK, now I read it again it could be misconstrued, to a warped mind of course :-)
 Where is dog? - Ted

I just read it again and I see the point of it now.

I had been wondering if it was wise for the man not to be wearing overalls and gloves and I also thought that having a woman on your knee would get in the way of, perhaps, adjusting the tappets or fitting a new oil filter.

Ted
 Where is dog? - Dog
I sent the link for that engine hoist (ebay one) to my learned friend in Plymouth, and he said,

"It's the fact that it's bin USED that makes it so cringe worthy"!!

nuf sed.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 09:00
 Where is dog? - Dog
The story so far time folks ...

I'm still using the 'BackMagic' (£20 @ Amazon) for 5 mins twice a day ~

www.bodi-tek.co.uk/Personal_Health/Back_Products/Back_Magic.html

I also use my Heatpad, although I don't actually need it now ... but its nice :]

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4428121/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATPAD.htm

I was also a'gonna buy a mammery foam mattress topper but - I purchased this critter for the same mone£ ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Memory-Mattress-Quality-Cover/dp/B0038MEHGA/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1291626598&sr=8-19

I also read 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie which was recommended by one of our esteemed posters further up this thread.

My back is now 'back' to normal - in fact its better than it has been for decades really due to the remedial action I have taken.
The BackMagic was most likely the wisest purchase, but its not really for the squeamish or those of a noyvous disposition because you can actually hear the vertebrae cracking when you use the thing :)

The mattress is on the firm side of firm but - I spring out of bed now in the morning at 6am

I've also dug out my Bullworker (remember those) which I first bought when I was a skinny flat chested 12 year old, the thing I like about that devious device is that it will exercise all muscle groups (gently) using isometrics/isotonics (whatever that is)

shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=bullworker&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

The bottom line is that as we age we will suffer from muscle atrophy (wastage) and its dem there muscles, ligaments & tendons that hold up all our scaffolding (skeletal) ~ use it or lose in syndrome.

Oh ... and lastly - this blimmin cheap 'office' chair (£50) is got to go, and be replaced by something more supportive - to my back.
As a person with certain interests I have to say I just love the sound of a mammery matress. Perhaps my partner will find one in her treasure chest for Christmas!
 Where is dog? - Dog
>>I have to say I just love the sound of a mammery matress<<

- - - - -> ;-D
 Where is dog? - Tooslow
tinyurl.com/26mgvme
Some say these are good for bad backs.
John
Latest Forum Posts