Non-motoring > Mobile phone networks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 44

Mobile phone networks - sherlock47
A friend is experiencing very patchy coverage on his new XLN mobile. Does anybody know who they use as a mobile network operator? He is likely to cancel his contract but does not wish to jump to a new supplier who uses the same network!
Last edited by: pmh on Tue 9 Nov 10 at 21:54
 Mobile phone networks - CGNorwich
Three
 Mobile phone networks - Falkirk Bairn
3 used to have bad coverage but when 3 has bad coverage, at least for the past few years, it should pick up the Orange signal. Maybe it is the handset? not the network.

In the early days of 3 they could not even give a signal in George Square, the Centre of Glasgow. Colleague cancelled his contract, or rather tried to cancel and they threatened him with charges amounting to £300+ - he said sue me and in court I will say you cannot offer coverage in George Square ..........he got his contract cancelled.
Useful coverage map
www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage
 Mobile phone networks - Zero
Not really, that's more advertising than fact.

One of the first things you learn in mobile phone world, never trust a coverage map.
 Mobile phone networks - Iffy
I think Three is the least reliable network with the poorest coverage.

I've no technical info to back that up, but I keep on hearing of people who have problems with Three.

Vodafone seems best for coverage.

As an example, it's the only network which works consistently at the caravan.

I suppose it's less of an issue if you only ever need to access a service in one of the main centres of population.

Mobile phone networks - rtj70
Might it be that 3 tends to be worst for signal strength because its mostly/all 3G whereas to get decent coverage/signal you often have to drop back to 2G on other networks. I use 2G on my phones because the signal will almost always be stronger (don't you need less base stations for GSM on 900MHz) and the battery life will be better.

Also isn't there some network sharing between 3 and Orange/T-Mobile - it's something to do with the new company created (Everything Everywhere). I could be wrong about 3 using this though.

As for the friends phone, try the SIM in another handset to see what signal strength it gets in the places the other phone is poor. It will show if it's really the network or a crap phone.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 10 Nov 10 at 11:29
 Mobile phone networks - Mapmaker
Against Zero's advice, I have internet at home through 3 mobile PAYG. It's fine in London, and anywhere else I've tried it. But that's not very much.
>> Against Zero's advice,

What you moaning about? you got the advice you paid for.
 Mobile phone networks - Mapmaker
Moaning about?

I got exactly what I paid for - cheap internet access at home for occasional use, and occasional non-home use. Cannot complain!
 Mobile phone networks - Bromptonaut
>> I have internet at home through 3 mobile PAYG. It's fine in
>> London, and anywhere else I've tried it. But that's not very much.
>>

Got one as well. It's fine in London but not at home and not in a fair few other places as well.
 Mobile phone networks - NeilS
>>>As for the friends phone, try the SIM in another handset to see what signal strength it gets in the places the other phone is poor. It will show if it's really the network or a crap phone.

Echo that. My Iphone works significantly worse than my wife's 4 or 5 year old Samsung in our house, both on Orange. Not so bad now that when I have no reception it switches to T-Mobile and improves enough to make it okay most of the time. Put my SIM in my wife's phone and it works better every time.
 Mobile phone networks - swiss tony
>> Echo that. My Iphone works significantly worse than my wife's 4 or 5 year old
>> Samsung in our house, both on Orange. Not so bad now that when I have
>> no reception it switches to T-Mobile and improves enough to make it okay most of
>> the time. Put my SIM in my wife's phone and it works better every time.
>>
That's because I-phones have poor quality phone hardware built in.
That's what I was told by a man in the industry anyway, he claimed the phone side of the I-phone is amongst the cheapest in any phone.
All I know for certain is I can get a signal in many places, friends with I-phones can't......
I phone 3's were appaling, 3G and 3GS were a little better.

Iphone 4's (with a bumper) are pretty good.
 Mobile phone networks - spamcan61
>> Might it be that 3 tends to be worst for signal strength because its mostly/all
>> 3G whereas to get decent coverage/signal you often have to drop back to 2G on
>> other networks. I use 2G on my phones because the signal will almost always be
>> stronger (don't you need less base stations for GSM on 900MHz) and the battery life
>> will be better.
>>
Like they said.

In addition Three is starting to remove access to 2G networks in areas where they are confident that their own 3G coverage is good.
>> Not really, that's more advertising than fact.
>>
>> One of the first things you learn in mobile phone world, never trust a coverage
>> map.
>>

In many aspects of life there is simulation and then there is the real thing; the two seldom match ;-). EM simulators and coverage predictors certainly follow the rule.
Useful in a negative way - if the map show no coverage in your area there's unlikely to be any.
Earlier this year I changed by Vodafone dongle for an Orange one.

Five pounds a month instead of £15 - the MacBook's got to be paid for somehow.

I could get Vodafone 2G in the caravan, which gave a slow but acceptable surfing experience.

Good enough for checking emails or messing around on here.

The Orange dongle will only work outside on the deck, and even then it's slower.

Happily, the caravan site's wireless broadband has been working well of late.

But my general conclusion, having used both dongles in various places around the North, is Vodafone is best.

Mobile phone networks - Focusless
>> But my general conclusion, having used both dongles in various places around the North, is
>> Vodafone is best.

Have bought a Vodafone PAYG dongle to keep us connected until 22nd when the BT line is reconnected at our new house; 3Gb for £25. Using it now, and it seems ok on 4/5 bar signal strength (currently in west Reading).

Speed test results: download = 1704kbps, upload = 350kbps

However it did vary a fair bit during the short test; I guess it depends on what everyone else is doing in the cell.
Focus,

Dunno if you read the destructions, but dongles can perform better on the end of a short USB lead, rather than plugged directly into the computer.

Anyone, like me, who doesn't know much about these things might find this article interesting.

www.pocket-lint.com/news/33965/why-mobile-phone-networks-matter

Mobile phone networks - Cpt. Flack
I've heard Vodafone and O2 will be merging networks soon. Not companies.
There is already a network sharing agreement in place. Its being rolled out now.
 Mobile phone networks - Boxsterboy
>> I've heard Vodafone and O2 will be merging networks soon. Not companies.
>>

Everything Everywhere is the Orange/T-Mobile merger. I've noticed better reception since they merged, so it looks like Voda + O2 users will have good news too.

I thought the networks were always supoosed to share aerial sites anyway to reduce clutter?

>> I thought the networks were always supoosed to share aerial sites anyway to reduce clutter?
>>
Yes in the past sites have been shared, but generally with separate antennas and equipment, now they're slowly sharing the whole lot.

The Vodafone + O2 infrastructure sharing company is called 'Cornerstone':-

blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/01/happy-first-birthday-cornerstone.html
 Mobile phone networks - teabelly
If O2 and vodafone start site sharing they're going to have to increase their bandwidth available. O2 is shocking for data at the moment. Messaging has also been on a serious go slow too. I don't think voda customers will be pleased with all us cheapskate O2 users hogging all their bandwidth :-)
>> Focus,
>>
>> Dunno if you read the destructions, but dongles can perform better on the end of
>> a short USB lead, rather than plugged directly into the computer.

The lead acts as an antenna. Plus it enables you to locate the dongle better for max signal. Sometimes only 6 inches in any direction will work wonders. Plus the further away from the PC the less the radiated RF interference.
>> >> Focus,
>> >>
>> >> Dunno if you read the destructions

Err... :)

>> but dongles can perform better on the end
>> of
>> >> a short USB lead, rather than plugged directly into the computer.
>>
>> The lead acts as an antenna.

Thanks guys. Now back inside in east Reading and signal strength without extender is down to 1 bar, although it still seems ok for browsing. Will try to find USB lead later.
>> Now back inside in east Reading and signal strength without extender is down
>> to 1 bar

BTW Vodafone coverage checker predicts 'very good' (4/5) 3G & mobile broadband :)
...BTW Vodafone coverage checker predicts 'very good' (4/5) 3G & mobile broadband :)...

That applies to outside with an extender lead acting as an aerial.

>> ...BTW Vodafone coverage checker predicts 'very good' (4/5) 3G & mobile broadband :)...
>>
>> That applies to outside with an extender lead acting as an aerial.

Fair enough, but it predicts the same for where I was earlier, inside, getting 4/5. I know, they're not accurate.
 Mobile phone networks - L'escargot
Check Orange coverage.
search.orange.co.uk/ouk/portal/coveragechecker.html?channel=direct/
 Mobile phone networks - movilogo
Vodafone has best geographic coverage in UK [I got signal in highlands, coastal Wales, Devon, Cornwall].

Then comes O2. Good coverage but not as good in extreme locations.

T-mobiles is bad.

Never used Orange and 3 but their reputation is not good either.

Mobile phone networks - rtj70
I would think both Vodafone and O2 have better coverage because their GSM networks use the 900MHz frequency range. They therefore need fewer masts to give good coverage. The 3G infrastructure needs more masts but these will mostly be in populated areas - how can you justify 3G+ data speeds in the middle of nowhere.

When 3G services are offered on the 900MHz frequency range then they would appear to have a big advantage over the competition.
 Mobile phone networks - MD
Orange now owns T Mobile. Ring either one (if you are a customer) and they will GIVE you access to the other transmitters. At present they don't roam, but access the other cells if your's is not available. It has improved my Orange service immensely.

Martin
>> Orange now owns T Mobile. Ring either one (if you are a customer) and they
>> will GIVE you access to the other transmitters.

Well almost, they formed a separate company to integrate and run the joint network, the optimistically named 'everything everywhere':-

newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/05/11/orange-and-t-mobile-unveil-joint-venture-name-team-vision-and-plans/

A very complex challenge, to say the least.

As you say, worth giving them a ring, I'm sure there was also a web form to fill in on the Orange web site, but I can't find it.
 Mobile phone networks - MD
And I believe a number you can text to do the job. The dual thingy worked for me.
 Mobile phone networks - Bromptonaut
Orange website has instructions to add T-Mob reception. It involves completing a short form including phone make and then the exchange of a couple of texts.

Not a quantum leap but has improved reception in a few previously dead zones including the western side of our office building.
 Mobile phone networks - PhilW
"Orange website has instructions to add T-Mob reception. It involves completing a short form including phone make and then the exchange of a couple of texts."
I just texted "Yes" (without quotes) to 2121 and they sent me a text back which confirmed addition of T-mob reception

Mobile phone networks - captain grimes
Thanks for the tip, Martin et al. - I now have a signal all over the house courtesy of T-Mobile, rather than being restricted by Orange to a corner of the kitchen!
Don't know about going the other way, but as a T-Mobile customer you can only get 2G Orange coverage, apparently:
support.t-mobile.co.uk/help-and-support/index?page=home&cat=USING_ORANGE_SIGNAL
...I just texted "Yes" (without quotes) to 2121 and they sent me a text back which confirmed addition of T-mob reception...

Just done the same.

Reply reads: 'Thanks for your text, we'll be in touch soon. Your charges stay the same even when you're using T-Mobile signal."

Second reply a few seconds later: 'Just turn your phone off and on again so you can enjoy calls and texts using signal from both Orange and T-Mobile.'

Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 22:54
...I just texted "Yes" (without quotes) to 2121 and they sent me a text back which confirmed addition of T-mob reception...

Received a text this afternoon to say my phone has just accessed the T-Mobile network for the first time.

Sure enough, when I checked the screen, where once there was written Orange, there was T-Mobile.

Not sure why I need to know this, I was not using the phone at the time.

Seems odd they'd make T-mobile your home network, when I assume you're still an Orange customer that just happens to use T-mobile's infrastructure now and again. Or maybe it'll switch between the two as you move from one coverage area to another. Must check with Spamette Major to see if her Orange mobile has switched over.
...Seems odd they'd make T-mobile your home network...

Should have explained.

That was in Leeming, North Yorkshire, when I next looked at the phone an hour later in County Durham it was back to Orange.

Latest Forum Posts