Non-motoring > Office Chair - Recommendations   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 43

Office Chair - Recommendations - Clk Sec
Can anyone recommend a comfortable office chair for under £200?

This one would have been suitable, but for its negative review.

tinyurl.com/38ga6fj

Thanks.

Office Chair - Recommendations - PeteW
Actually looks good to me - I'd ignore the review. Going by the way the review has been written, they probably were too thick to read the instructions and understand how to adjust the chair!
Worth taking a look in Staples if there is one near you. Bought mine from there (on special at £79) a couple of years ago and it's been great. They do some surprisingly good quality stuff.
Last edited by: Everest Pete on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 12:11

Office Chair - Recommendations - Dog
>>This one would have been suitable, but for its negative review.<<

It isn't a lot different to the one I use C/S ~

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/5174113897

Try to find something with a little more back support, looks the part though.

Office Chair - Recommendations - Manatee
There are lots of "look the part" office chairs around at bargain prices and I have had several - rapidly fall apart, or limited adjustment/uncomfortable.

Last year SWMBO needed an office chair and it occurred to met that the chairs that most people sit on at work are robust even when abused, and comfortable enough not to be thought about from one day's end to the next. She doesn't really have room for a large chair either.

I bought one of these 'operator' chairs, or at any rate what was probably the previous model thereof, as ours was bright red (her choice).

www.hudsonsofficefurniture.com/office_furniture/product.asp?id=314

Note that you need a '3 lever' if you want full adjustment - seat tilt, height, backrest angle/height. Choose high back/low back, arms/no arms.

The supplier wasn't especially efficient - or it could have been the carrier - but I had to chase them up for the gas leg - the base and the seat weren't much use without the bit in between - but since then the chair has been fine (as in she has never mentioned it).
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 14 Nov 10 at 12:59

Office Chair - Recommendations - Iffy
Staples is a good call for something cheap and cheerful which you can examine before you buy.

Another online/delivery company who are quite big in this market is Viking Direct:

www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/browse/business/Seating-Furniture/N=2+255/

They also do computer peripherals, printers, paper and so on.

Don't know much about them, other than they've been around for years.

Office Chair - Recommendations - Zero
Go to Staples. They have them all made up and you can try them out.

Office Chair - Recommendations - hjd
If you are anywhere near Ripley, in Surrey, try Surrey Office Supplies - loads to try out. I have this one www.surreyofficesupplies.co.uk/_Office_Chairs_Milford-223-29.html which is incredibly comfortable (and I have back and knee problems). It is more comfortable than any other chair in this house, anyway!

Office Chair - Recommendations - Dog
And ... There's more ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Lindo-Adjustable-Executive-Ergonomic-CHRISTMAS/dp/B0018BJY5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289757207&sr=8-1

I could go one of these ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Cobham-Luxury-Executive-Chair-Office/dp/B00389O6U0/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1289757313&sr=8-27

Office Chair - Recommendations - Bellboy
yes quite easily
go to an auction of repossessed office furniture and bid on the best one availabubble
or
go to a disposer of s/h office furniture and pick the best one in your budget
i have only ever had one proper office chair at work and its so comfortable and hard wearing and i gave 40 notes for it and use it every day
ive had at least 5 at home from all different sources but all new and they are all rubbish
Many thanks for the responses. I'll report back.

Clk Sec

Office Chair - gtb
Hi folks, I wanna share something. I was looking for a cool looking office chair for my renovated home office, wanted something of a designer look. Went to STAPLES and bought RIALTO Office Chair yesterday, it's awesome. Aluminum frame, mesh seat, really great quality at a reasonable price. I did not even know, but when I had it at home, a friend mentioned that the design is from the famous CHARLES EAMES. I did not know STAPLES has such great product - it made my day and my new office!

Office Chair - Pat
Do you work for Staples by any chance?

If so, I wonder if you can deal with a complaint I have with them over a faulty office chair please?

Pat

Office Chair - merlin
>> Do you work for Staples by any chance?

I wonder particularly given tinyurl.com/297m65a and one post on both fora.

Office Chair - Iffy
...I wonder particularly given tinyurl.com/297m65a and one post on both fora...

Well researched.

Nothing can be taken at face value, can it?

Reminds me of a conversation I had earlier this week with my mate the retired prison officer.

He said working in the jail was a battle of wits, and if a con asked for something, there was always a hidden reason.

Office Chair - Dog
>>Went to STAPLES and bought RIALTO Office Chair yesterday, it's awesome<<

Can you post a link to that throne comrade, it doesn't show up when I search Staples site.

Office Chair - Clk Sec
>>I wonder if you can deal with a complaint I have with them over a faulty office chair please?

Staples gave me a full refund when an office chair that I bought from them ten months earlier developed a fault. They quibbled not.

I'm thinking of buying another from them next week.

Office Chair - Pat
That's encouraging Clk Sec.
I bought a new chair from them in August and no matter what we did to it, the seat part wobbled. I rang them and they offrered to exchange it.
We decided to go for a slightly better one and paid the balance and I knew as soon as I sat in it that the seat sloped to the left.

I thought it was me and didn't like to say anything.
Six weeks later, a lurking bad back and it's now obvious that the padding is less on the left side, I emailed them to tell them.

For £118 I shoulf be able to sit level, after all.

I'm waiting for their suggestions.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 10:22

Office Chair - Biggles
I guess our cousin from over the pond is not familiar with the site rules.

Office Chair - Zero
Our cousin is a clever little bot. It sits there 24 hours a day lurking the web for metion of staples and buying things.

Office Chair - R.P.
Not particularly worried about it - we're all old enough and ugly enough to work some things out for ourselves. No need to dwell on it.

Office Chair - Bellboy
you speak for yourself
my wife often says i look gorueusk ;-)

Office Chair - R.P.
Sorry BB - you are clearly oil-painting material :-)

Office Chair - AnotherJohnH
perhaps times are hard at the Paphitis Palace, and gtb is a nom de plume of Theo's....

Office Chair - Iffy
...perhaps times are hard at the Paphitis Palace, and gtb is a nom de plume of Theo's....

I think it's all a plot by the OP who has been posting on here for months just waiting for this chance. :)

Office Chair - Chris S
I've been told that our ergonomic office chairs cost £800 each - they'd have been better off spending the money on some decent computers.

Office Chair - corax
>> I've been told that our ergonomic office chairs cost £800 each - they'd have been
>> better off spending the money on some decent computers.

What would you rather have? A bad back (believe me, it's not nice) or fantastic computers? Mind you, if you're computers are bad you might throw a wobbly and get a bad back anyway :-)

Do they feel like £800 to sit in? For that price I'd be expecting the finest hide at least.

Office Chair - Clk Sec
>>I think it's all a plot by the OP

Alas, my cover is blown. Back to the drawing board...

Office Chair - John H
>> Alas, my cover is blown. Back to the drawing board...
>>

.... and no sitting allowed while you are at it.
Last edited by: John H on Sat 20 Nov 10 at 15:00

Office Chair - Clk Sec
I should be so lucky. I've got nowt to sit on.

Office Chair - Pat
Me neither, unless I sit on a cushion.

My old chair has been retired to the garage for those moments when you just have to sit and work out what bit goes where:)

Pat

Office Chair - R.P.
Brilliant Pat - I have a deck chair for the same reason - possibly a hammock is the next natural evolution ?

Office Chair - Clk Sec
>>My old chair has been retired to the garage

Put it in the car, Pat, and off you go to Staples for a full refund.

Office Chair - Dog
>>Do they feel like £800 to sit in? For that price I'd be expecting the finest hide at least.<<

800 sovs fer a blimmin chair! cor blimey guv'nor - I know a geezer in North ants that can get ya a car for that.

Office Chair - Clk Sec
>>800 sovs fer a blimmin chair! cor blimey guv'nor

Perhaps it isn't such a bad idea for a employers to pay that sort of price if an employee spends most of his working life sat on his backside, as I did.

It's only lesser quality chairs and sofas that I have bought, that have caused me any problems.

Office Chair - Dog
>>
It's only lesser quality chairs and sofas that I have bought, that have caused me any problems<<

S'funny you should say that C/S - I paid about £50 for my 'office' chair :(

Office Chair - Recommendations - james parker
I was surprised to see an office chair which looked like CHARLES EAMES creation, When I asked the store executive at STAPLES about it, she confirmed and said YES it’s been reproduced and available at a very discounted rate. Guess, what I did?

I bought one and it’s so stylish. Love my CHARLES EAMES chair. I’m planning to give one to my Dad as a present from the same SWANSEA SUPERSTORE, Liberty Stadium Wales. Note, that at STAPLES they call these CHARLES EAMES chairs Amalfi, Quinto, and Rialto.

Wow

Another visit form the staples Bot.

They are very persistent, and I have great admiration for the IT team at Staples.

Office Chair - Recommendations - John H
How do robots like "gtb" and "james parker" get these advertising messages on to forums which require registration?

If you google for "office chair which looked like CHARLES EAMES creation," you will find that they spam many forums with the same message.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 10 Dec 10 at 11:23

It must be a bot, its not cost effective to have real people doing it,

Office Chair - Recommendations - archiecoles80
There are many enormous selection of executive office chairs, as well as ergonomic, desk, computer, stacking and reception seating to fit every budget.
Thank you.
Last edited by: archiecoles80 on Wed 22 Dec 10 at 10:58

Office Chair - Recommendations - Iffy
...There are many enormous selection of executive office chairs, as well as ergonomic, desk, computer, stacking and reception seating to fit every budget...

What is it with office furniture threads that attracts so many dodgy posts?

Office Chair - Recommendations - Boxsterboy
I bought a great chair office from Viking a few years ago (can't remember what it's called). The seat is sort of 'unsteady' in that if you lean to either side or lean back too much the chair doesn't support you. This is odd when you first try it but it does force you to sit perced on the seat with an upright back, and prevents slouching, which is good for your posture.

My chiropractor also says that when sat, ideally, the height of your hips should be above your knees.

>>What is it with office furniture threads that attracts so many dodgy posts?

I'd blame the OP...

Office Chair - Recommendations - VxFan
Thread locked in the hope that it'll stop further self promotion.

Vx.

Latest Forum Posts