Non-motoring > Switching utilities Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 48

Switching utilities - Dog
So ... Gas and Electricity charges are on the up again, I've been with Southern Electric for a few years now but their gas is going up by about 9% on Dec 1st so I'm looking at switching, and saving some money in the process.

I've checked out all the usual comparison sites and they mostly suggest N-Power for my usage, but being the suspicious dude that I am, I decided to do a comparison using Which.co.uk/switch being that they are independent.

They came up with (amongst others) first:utility saving me £219.80 on my last years £1330 dual fuel spend.

And, the question is - has any one had any dealings with this ere company. good or bad?
 Switching utilities - R.P.
I'm with Utility Warehouse - one of the small fry - has a loyal following. Never ever had any trouble with them.
 Switching utilities - Iffy
...one of the small fry...

When this came up in the other place mention was made of a green supplier which seemed cheap.

Think it might have had 'eco' in the name.

Someone will know, no doubt.
Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 12:15
 Switching utilities - movilogo
Comparison sites are very confusing and misleading.

Calculate how much units (eg kWh) you are using.

Then check price per unit from each supplier (usually a tiered price).

Then calculate yourself what will be your expected bill.

Then remember, your new supplier might change price too (unless you are in fixed price deal).

I always wondered why comparison sites simply don't display unit price of suppliers rather than estimating how much you can save by switching. Probably because they want you to switch anyway so that they can get their commission.
 Switching utilities - -

>> Think it might have had 'eco' in the name.
>>
>> Someone will know, no doubt.
>>

If it's the one you are thinking of it's Ebico for electricity and Equigas for t'other stuff...Christian charity non profit making.

I've been with them for several years now and they don't really feature on comparison sites, they are more ethical than eco, having a simple fair pricing structure...one price regardless of how you pay.
I might save a couple of quid (no more than that) elsewhere but their philosophy means someone on their uppers on a pre pay meter pays the same rate as me, that fair play will keep me for good.
 Switching utilities - Stuartli
Don't forget that if you qualify on age and property requirements, you can get a fixed monthly price renewable 12 month gas and electricity contract with StayWarm:

www.eonenergy.com/At-Home/Products/Products-Electricity-And-Gas/Electricity-and-Gas/StayWarm/

Monthly charge also based on number of people living at the property - I pay £87 a month and don't really have to worry too much about how much gas and electricity I use each month.

E-On, who operate StayWarm (originally PowerGen), also met the full cost of cavity wall insulation and topping up of the loft insulation about four years ago.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 23 Nov 10 at 00:02
 Switching utilities - Hard Cheese

>> I'm with Utility Warehouse >>

I know a couple of UW agents, they have never been able to beat EDF in our area.

Switching utilities - AnotherJohnH
>> Then remember, your new supplier might change price too (unless you are in fixed price deal).

I'd agree with the point above.

See how long a fixed deal you can get without compromising the deal too much.

My most recent fixed rate renewal was only for 15 months, but hopefully the cost of fixing will beat the current round of increases.
Just done a comparison based on 4029kwh (Suppliers are now required to provide usage information on their bills to aid comparison) switching to EDF would save me 5 quid a year - not worth switching seeing as UW is reasonably efficient and cause me no trouble unlike some of the horror stories you get from other big suppliers. Thanks for prompting me to do it though - been thinking of doing it for a while.
 Switching utilities - Boxsterboy
>> I'm with Utility Warehouse - one of the small fry - has a loyal following.
>> Never ever had any trouble with them.
>>

I know the boss, and can see why they have a loyal following.

The antics of gas/electricity suppliers are every frustrating when you have to deal with them on a daily basis. We have a development site where EDF supply the 3 flats with electricity. We want gas too, so thought it would be easy to stay with EDF. Because the site is uninhabitable we have a suspension from Council Tax.

Guess what? EDF won't supply gas meters becasue "there is no record of the site existing" (because there is no Council Tax listing) and won't supply meters until we start paying Council Tax and the properties "reappear"! This despite the fact that they are happy to suply electricity there.
 Switching utilities - FotheringtonTomas
bit.ly/aZBBCz
>>Calculate how much units (eg kWh) you are using.
Then check price per unit from each supplier (usually a tiered price).
Then remember, your new supplier might change price too (unless you are in fixed price deal).<<

Good advice - Thanks

I read that Terrorflag article on Saturdays FT, that's why I've decided to get on with it and switch ASAP.
 Switching utilities - Fenlander
>>>UW is reasonably efficient and cause me no trouble unlike some of the horror stories you get from other big suppliers.

You must be a distributor or the friend of one! The general opinion on the net is their savings are only possible if you tie into all utilities, phone and shop at Sainsburys with the UW cashback card??? Also many stories of horrendous billing errors and poor customer service to resolve them.
I had a telephone account with them but unhitched about 3 years ago - don't go to Sainsbury's - I keep an eye on meter readings - just checked the bill in detail and it shows 11.3p per unit which seems cheap - off to the sites again see if I can get it cheaper. Standing charge is 3.95p per month.
Well would you credit it - done a more detailed comparison on line - found I can save £115 per year with EDF online saver tariff plus a £75.00 credit for paying by DD - Ah well that will pay for some novelty item (or 11 packet of fags if I took up smoking).
 Switching utilities - Marc
I wouldn't bother switching right now. The rises have just started and all the other suppliers will follow suit shortly.

I'd wait until January when you should have more of a level playing field.
 Switching utilities - madf
Watch out: EDF are in the middle of a price rise.. AND they have large penalty charges. They changed tariffs on me and attempted to force me to switch to the new one with penalty clauses: I left.
2 months later they were sold. Locking in customers is the name of the game.

I am with EON: no penalty open contract. Agree with Marc.. Wait and see.

50% of all customers apparently have never switched and are being royally screwed... That's ALL customers not just EDF's.
 Switching utilities - Stuartli
See:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/

The link provided by FotheringtonTomas is regarded as one of the best sites of its type.

Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 22 Nov 10 at 15:46
 Switching utilities - Tooslow
I switched from Scottish Power to nPower about 15 months ago. I've just checked and nPower are still the cheapest (for me) though I could save a few bob by going to paperless billing.

I had a credit of about £30 with SP when I switched. I waited, but in the end I had to ask for it. Their paperwork was full of how I could pay them, not a squeak on how they would pay me.

You'll get the inevitable phone call begging you not to switch and challenging your arithmetic. Just keep quiet.

John
 Switching utilities - Roger.
energyapps.consumerfocus.org.uk/price/browse/gas/medium/standard/s80
Okey dokey - I've decided to go with first:utility (for now) and will be writing to southern electric so as to stop them raising my gas price by 9% on Dec. 1st while the changeover goes through.

Consumerfocus came up with first:utility as well btw.

Thanks for all your input :)
Eh ... update! Quite a bit of faffing around with these ere comparison sites but,
I decided to go with npower monthly D/D which saves me £131.89 on last years usage,
better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Eh ... update Mrk 2.

You and yours the morrow on BBC Radio 4 @ mid day (24th Nov.)

***Could switching utilities end up costing you double***
 Switching utilities - Dulwich Estate
Thanks for the heads up, but I won't be listening. Unfortunately, like so much on the BBC, that programme has just progressively dumbed down over the years. It's in the same vein as That's Life, Watchdog and the rest. After a couple of years the humorous bits and trivia seem to drive the show.

Money Box Live still works for me...for now.
 Switching utilities - Perky Penguin
I just read today that if your supplier puts up prices more than suits you (Southern anybody?) you have 14 days to tell them you don't accept and then another 14 days to find a new supplier. During these 28 days they must continue to supply you at the un-raised rate.
>>I just read today that if your supplier puts up prices more than suits you (Southern anybody?)<<

Cheers PP, I'm waiting now until i've heard what you and yours say tomorrow on Radio 4.

They are all a bunch of blimmin crooks anyway :)
The program about switching energy suppliers was Money Box Live, and can be found

Here ~ www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w20z6/Money_Box_Live_24_11_2010/
I went for npower sign on-line dual fuel in the end.

Bit of a palaver, been on-line since 8-00am and tried all the comparison sites :)

Went straight to npower's own site in the end - much simpler, even for a thicko like moi.

first:utility has some 'issues' Re: customer service, so I gave them the Spanish archer (el bow)

G'day.
 Switching utilities - Clk Sec
I'm currently dual-fuel but not paper-free, etc, and normally avoid direct debit like the plague, but am looking to make a saving by transferring to an on-line account via one of the many comparison sites. If and when I do, will I be given the choice to pay my bills via my credit card, as well as my debit card?

Thanks.

Clk

>>I'm currently dual-fuel but not paper-free, etc, and normally avoid direct debit like the plague<<

What's to fear C/S, I've paid by dd for years with no problems whatsoever.

Why, only yesterday I switched my phone line rental from Plusnet to Primus (£7.99 pm)

Check em all out here ~ www.consumerchoices.co.uk/?partner=20237~cu
 Switching utilities - L'escargot
>> and normally avoid direct debit like the plague,

My income is monthly so I try to make as many regular outgoings as possible monthly. That way I even out my expenditure and reduce the number of large bills I receive.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 10:26
>>What's to fear C/S, I've paid by dd for years with no problems whatsoever.

Perhaps you've been lucky, Dog. I've heard no end of tails about money being removed from accounts long after folk have formally cancelled their contracts. It's happened to me.

I can't tell you how sorry I am that you've moved your 'phone line rental!

Switching utilities - -
>> I've heard no end of tails about money being removed
>> from accounts long after folk have formally cancelled their contracts. It's happened to me.

If you've got internet banking enabled you should have access to you DD's and SO's.
Once we've finished with a company i delete them immediately.

The only company i ever had a real problem with were NTL...the mere mention of the blighters has me twitching, though to be fair it wasn't their accounts section at fault initially but the inappropriately named Customer Services and long before i went online banking.
>>I can't tell you how sorry I am that you've moved your 'phone line rental!<<

Why is that tovarich? I've switched from BT to Plusnet b4 with no problemo, now I'm orf to Primus but,
it isn't finalised, yet.
Dog

Can you let me have your email address via the mods?
>>If you've got internet banking enabled

Well, I haven't, but I may open an account with just enough to fund payment of utility bills, etc, then cancel when necessary.

Thanks, GB.
CLK,

You have mail....
>>Can you let me have your email address via the mods?<<

Yes - OK by me.
 Switching utilities - mikeyb
I switched to Atlantic a few years back. They are owned by someone else, but cant recall who.

Like the others they have jacked their price up, but upon running it through the comaprison sites they are still 20 odd quid a year cheaper than anyone else for me, but they also give a loyalty bonus - they average your monthly payments and give you one months back each year. Nice little bonus to get 100 quid credit back in the bank each year
>>I switched to Atlantic a few years back. They are owned by someone else, but cant recall who<<

I believe Atlantic are owned by Scottish & Southern who also own Southern Electric.
 Switching utilities - teabelly
I'm still mourning the loss of Amerada. They were a decent company.

Sick of southern electric over charging. I pay by monthly DD and they seem to want to charge 30% minimum above what I use! Changing to ebico as they don't have standing charges either. Southern electric said I'd use £800 worth of gas next year but they'd still keep the payment at just under £100 a month so charging me £1200!!! They've also whacked up the standing charges. They're also charging over £100 a month for electricity when I have worked out I'm only using 2/3rds of that.

The switching comparisons are misleading as you can't see what proportion is fuel cost and what is standing charge. I'd rather pay more per unit and have no standing charge as it is much easier to use less than put up with high standing charges. The dual rate is also misleading as some charge obscene amounts for the first part of usage (not saying whether it is per quarter or per year that they calculate it either)

And they're on about screwing customers even more in the name of 'climate change' and charging for peak time usage rather than fixing the b&%£($ generating problem which is why we don't have enough power! Sorely tempted to get a big slow running diesel generator and make my own with veg oil. Stuff them!
>>Sorely tempted to get a big slow running diesel generator and make my own with veg oil. Stuff them<<

Yea! - I know how you feel t/b, I know people in Cornwall who generate *ALL* their own energy via old single cylinder Lister diesel generators combined with solar, wind and even mini turbines stuck in the local stream!

All the energy is stored in an array of batteries for 12v lighting or an inverter for TV, PC etc.,

The energy Co's are running a cartel and we are being shafted up the ain ass.
 Switching utilities - Manatee
Thanks for that PP. I'd never have known.

I've tracked down the details - goo.gl/Usb2Y

and I've just initiated a switch from npower who have announced a 5% increase. As I am already on a rip-off old tariff,I should save £300 a year even moving to a 12 month fix with OVO, and if I notify npower they shouldn't be able to stiff me with the price rise on 4th January.
Well it's happened switch-over day is today, save myself 15 quid a month it seems plus a 70 quid goodwill deposit in my account from them, oh and a price freeze until March 2011.
>>Ah well that will pay for some novelty item (or 11 packet of fags if I took up smoking)<<

:)
 Switching utilities - madf
I do the exercise every year and have switched 9 times in 12 years... On average I will not switch for under £75 saving as there are too many variables..
Last edited by: madf on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 16:31
Its my 3rd switch ... EDF to Southern Elec to Npower.

Npower have just raised their charges by 5%.

It is a cartel & we are the stooges.

>>Southern Elec to Npower.

Look on the bright side, Dog. You're still 5% better off.
:-)
>>Look on the bright side, Dog. You're still 5% better off.<<

Yea & nay C/S ... Southern Electric increased their gas price by 9.4% whereas Npower increased their gas AND electric by 5.1% but - being I use more gas than electric p.a., I might save a pfennig or zwei.
Latest Forum Posts