Non-motoring > What will you be doing at midnight tonight? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 56

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Iffy
I'm hoping to watch the first ball of the first Ashes test between Australia and England.

I say hoping, there's every chance I'll fall asleep in front of the telly, but if not, I'm looking forward to some good cricket.

Anybody else thinking the same way?

And if not, what will you be doing at midnight tonight?

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - mikeyb
Hopefully asleep - get up at 5.30 so thats past bedtime for me on a school night!
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - sooty123
probably get up early watch last bit of the last session and the day's highlights in the chat at the end.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Old Navy
Defo sleeping, if not, cricket would soon put me out.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - CGNorwich
Probably editing some photos or reading. Might take a look at the cricket.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Runfer D'Hills
Me too ON. Not really a sport is it? One bloke chucks a ball at another bloke with a bat and if he manages to hit it ( and that believe it or not is as exciting as it gets ) he then trots briskly for 22 yards. Another man meanwhile tries to catch the ball by way of a bit of sideshow by the way. The rest just sort of stand around. Goes on for days unless it rains when they stop and drink tea or something.

Thrills me.
...Thrills me...

That is such a stereotypical remark of a Scotsman when asked about cricket, or in your case a Scotsman rendered even more dour and, dare I say it, tetchy, by attempting to give up smoking.

:-)

Cool as ice. Utterly untetched...
...Cool as ice. Utterly untetched...

He's in denial, everybody, I know he is.

>> :-)
>>
>> Cool as ice. Utterly untetched...
>>

Hang in there Humph.
>> Thrills me.
>>

A bit like 20odd blokes chasing a ball round a field and kissing each other when they get it through the gate at the end of the field.
Aye..
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Perky Penguin
Edited highlights, if there are any, will be enough for me!
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - madf
I have a red hot date...

with a hot water bottle.
...with a hot water bottle...

I expect that's the hottest thing most of us will see tonight.

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - AshT
I'll be following the live text on the BBC, and listening on the radio - refuse to pay a penny to Murdoch's empire.
...and listening on the radio...

I wondered who would be the first to mention the radio.

There's still something exciting about snuggling under the covers listening to a despatch from the other side of the world.

I thought Test Match Special went through a bad patch a few years ago, but it's now back to its best.

A good alternative to trying to stay awake in front of the goggle box.

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - AnotherJohnH
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz..........
>something exciting about snuggling under the covers listening to a despatch from the other side of the world.

Sadly I'll be on the sofa with the cat for company Iffy - Mrs Ash is not a cricket fan.
...Sadly I'll be on the sofa with the cat for company Iffy - Mrs Ash is not a cricket fan...

When I'm in the Sky-free zone of the caravan I've watched the live text Freeview service which includes the radio commentary.

Quite entertaining, so I suppose we are spoiled for choice.

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - BobbyG
Well if last night is anything to go by then I will be trying to get to sleep whilst my nose does a good impression of a tap. Totally choked with the cold I am.

Agree with Humph though, only thing possibly more boring than watching cricket would be listening to it on the radio.

He runs up, he throws oh he's missed it
Repeat ad infinitum.......
I expect it's like whalesong Bobby. Very good for emptying the mind and tinnitus sufferers and so on...
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Bromptonaut
Listening to Radio 5Live as the useful stuff on R4LW has been displaced by inane chat from Brisbane.

And yes I know R4 is on VHF as well but my bedside radio does not!!
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Zero
I shall listen in bed on my iphone using the net.,
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Ted

I might listen to a bit but I've got an early start in the morning.
I've got a clinic appointment at 0930 so I'll have to be up for 0900 at the latest.

Used to listen to the whole 5 day tests on Radio 3 when Arlott, Johnson and co. were doing it.

Enjoyed the World series on the telly.

Ted
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Dave_
If I'm still reading after midnight I'll check the updated score on BBC Mobile every so often, otherwise I'll most likely forget all about it until Moira reminds me on the news in the morning.

I'm not really into any sport involving balls, only sports involving wheels are worth getting up early for.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Wed 24 Nov 10 at 21:38
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Pat
Hot water bottle?
That's so last year, darling.

Try a wheat bag, microwave it for 2 minutes and enjoy:)

It moves, it smells nice and doesn't snore.

Pat
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Pat
I know nothing about cricketing terms so you'll have to bear with me with this story!
When we moved into this house we hired a mini digger to dig out the rather deep pond. Halfway down we unearthed a wasps nest on a hot Sunday afternoon in the Fen.
After we'd all retreated to the house and closed the windows we realised that only professional help would allow us to get outside again.
Yellow pages came to the rescue and a Pest controller was located about 15 miles away.
By chance, he was playing cricket ( not off topic now!) in our village as I spoke to him on his mobile but was 'batting', he said.
Give me 2 minutes to finish this 'innings' and I'll be there, was the best he could do:)
Sure enough he rolled up in his cricketing 'whites' and got his protective gear out of the car boot. He did what pest controllers do and collected £40 cash.
I've got to go because I should be fielding, he said!

Is that how the Ashes work?

Pat
>Give me 2 minutes to finish this 'innings'

Is he one of the current England team now? I listened to the first couple of overs and gave up and went to bed. Put the radio on this morning just in time to hear the last two wickets go.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - ....
Almost Pat, there are two trains of thought in the Ashes.

The English way
The aim is to keep two Australian’s captive in the middle of the field all day. The punishment for the Australian's is to make them run 22yds each way as often as possible. Occassionally they can earn a break from running if they can hit the ball hard enough to hit the boundary.
The England outfield players work on their tans or lobster look.
The other Australian batsmen work on their beer‘s.
Australian batsmen will never declare at any other time than at the end of the day because they know their team mates will be too lagered to go out and sign autographs at the boundary.

The Australian way
The aim is to get the other team out ASAP so they can get back to the Pavilion before their lager gets warm.
There are two outfield players for Australia, the bowler and the catcher. The bowler naturally bowls the ball for the awfully sporting Englishman to either miss the ball and let it hit the wickets or play the ball in the air to the catcher without bouncing. This takes skill and co-ordination on the batsmans part to find the catcher in the field. Sometimes the catcher will move so the batsman needs to be aware at all times where the catcher is.
The other nine Australians walk the boundary signing autographs and talking to any fit Sheila’s before retiring to the Pavilion for a beer.
English batsmen never declare as they usually run out of batsmen before they run out of overs or time.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 25 Nov 10 at 07:56
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - hobby
I always wondered how we managed to invent a game which required 5 days of good weather on the trot... Or was it just for export?! ;-)
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Bromptonaut
Nice one gmac.

Which of the page's in Greengrocers weekly was it clipped from??
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - madf
Cricket is a game invented by the English so they could lose at it.

The only people who support England are masochists... or those whose mental state is challenged..

And before all the cricket enthusiasts beat me , I point them in the direction of the ECB.

Say what you like about football, the Premier League has grown to be worldwide entertainment and with record UK following on TV and at grounds.

The ECB on the other hand have presided over 40 years of decline...

I slept and missed the inevitable collapse.. Wot a surprise...not.

The only rivals to the ECB's incompetence are the LTA...
Last edited by: madf on Thu 25 Nov 10 at 10:29
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - R.P.
Seem to be losing nicely to the Aussies - when all bets were off on the Aussies even having a sniff.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - scousehonda
The game lasts for 5 days and there are 5 matches in the series. Drawing conclusions after day 1 of a Test match can make the forecaster look a little 'previous'.

England have been very successful at cricket over the past 2 or 3 years and I forecast that they will win the current 'Ashes' series.

Let us review the situation on 7th January.
Funny how some Englishmen seem to revel in English misfortune.

As scousehonda says, there are five days and five games.

This game is not over yet.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - scousehonda
I smugly refer to my post at 11.21 on 25 November.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - R.P.
You were right of course.
...You were right of course...

But did he get a bet on?

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Zero
I am glad I get free calls to Australia, the phone lines from Pomie Zero towers have been humming.

Gloat? Me? Yeah, a lot!
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - smokie
There's more, but here are the highlights...

Q: What is the main function of the Australia coach?
A:To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.

Q: What do you call an Australian with a champagne bottle in his hand?
A:A waiter.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - swiss tony

>> Q: What do you call an Australian with a champagne bottle in his hand?
>> A:A waiter.

I beat you by nearly an hour...... I posted that joke @21.00! ;-p
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - smokie
OK, I replace mine with

Q: Why don't Aussie fielders need pre-tour travel injections?
A: Because they never catch anything.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - sooty123
>>
>>
>> Say what you like about football, the Premier League has grown to be worldwide entertainment
>> and with record UK following on TV and at grounds.
>>
>> The ECB on the other hand have presided over 40 years of decline...
>>

Cricket's the second most popular sport in the world, and England have done pretty well in the last few years, 40 years of decline we're far from the worst team in the world.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - ....
>> Nice one gmac.
>>
>> Which of the page's in Greengrocers weekly was it clipped from??
>>
Never heard of it, need to mark it for future reference.
 The Ashes - Ian (Cape Town)
Just turned on the office telly.
Wish I hadn't.
^$%@#%* Siddle!
 The Ashes - Harleyman
Traditional English policy of lulling the Aussies into a false sense of security. ;-)

At 197-4 it didn't look too bad, credit to Siddle for an excellent bit of pace bowling.

Funny how they were undone by "English" conditions though.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 25 Nov 10 at 19:54
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - PhilW
"Say what you like about football, the Premier League has grown to be worldwide entertainment and with record UK following on TV and at grounds."

In the cricket we are referring to an England team playing the Aussies. An England team that won the world 20/20 Championship (?) a little while ago. Your footy reference is to the Premier league - but just remind me how well the England footy team did at the last world championship? And didn't the England footy lot lose to Australia the last time they played them (footy being a really top game in Aus!)
Off topic I know, but I delivered a car for a footballer (not even a Premier leaguer) this week - invoice said £103,000. My wife pointed out that it was probably his week's wages - bit like me buying a £400 banger!
Phil

What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Bellboy
sport
is that not a meaningless word in the greed terms of the 21st century?
certainly doesnt mean anything to me anymore
cheats everywhere
The game's turned out to be a good contest, so I'm looking forward to watching at least some of the last day tonight.

Sky seem to be keeping adverts to a minimum, possibly because they can't sell any for broadcast at two in the morning.

I'm pleased because it's hard to immerse yourself in the game if it's constantly interrupted.

Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 28 Nov 10 at 20:19
Is it like meditation, as in forcing your mind to concentrate on nothing for extended periods of time?
...Is it like meditation, as in forcing your mind to concentrate on nothing for extended periods of time?...

To be serious for a minute, what do you think about when mountain biking?

Staying upright and aboard, no doubt, but I bet riding clears your mind in other ways.

Watching cricket, mostly on the telly these days, does the same for me.

It's just there's very little danger of me falling off the sofa. :)

Fair enough, we all get our kicks in our own ways I suppose.
 What will you be doing at midnight tonight? - Perky Penguin
I don't watch the live broadcast but 519 for 1 against Australia in Australia is amazing
 What do you call ............... - swiss tony
............. an Aussie with a bottle of champagne in his hand?

'Waiter!'
 What do you call ............... - BobbyG
Don't tell me that game of rounders has just finished?
 What do you call ............... - Gopher
.......an Aussie with 100 runs to his name?

'a bowler'
Latest Forum Posts