Non-motoring > Pet Insurance - recommendations? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 59

Pet Insurance - recommendations? - BobbyG
Well the family became proud owners of an 8 week old labrador puppy yesterday and I am looking at pet insurance. Have had one recommendation for Directline which is coming in at about £10pm with an £80 excess.

What sort of covers should I be looking for, any specific recommendations, experiences etc?
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - bathtub tom
Save your money and sell the dog!

I've had cats and dogs for forty-odd years. I won't have any more because of the extortionate charges made by vets.

I know you can get insurance, but you'll find it increases with the age of the animal and if you make a claim it will either not be covered for any subsequent occurrences of the same problem, or will be prohibitively expensive.
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Fri 3 Dec 10 at 10:46
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Ronald
It's a tricky call.

Our pet mongrel was put down recently after 15 happy and relatively healthy years.

We had insurance all that time and spent £1000-1300 on it. The only time we claimed was for emergency vet treatment ( by the carer when we were on holiday). With the excess we got less than £50 refunded. She was a healthy dog and in retrospect the insurance cost in total was unnecessary for health reasons.The other reason we got insurance was in case of a claim by a third party, eg running into the road and causing an accident. This too turned out to be unnecessary.

So you too might not need insurance. I understand pedigree dogs often need more medical attention, so you need to weigh that up too.

WE were with www.eandl.co.uk who seemed competitive in recent years.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - R.P.
Went from Tesco to Direct Line - they had an offer on at renewal time.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Manatee

>> WE were with www.eandl.co.uk who seemed competitive in recent years.
>>
>>

I don't "get" dogs at all, so can't contribute on that - but anyone considering E&L might want to check out the reviews.

www.reviewcentre.com/reviews57547.html
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Dog
I've owned dogs for 50 years and have never taken out pet insurance.

My 10.5 year old R/Ridgeback is showing signs of age related problems at the moment.

But he is not in any discomfort, his appetite is normal + he is still a lively little monster.

Some pedigree breeds though, ARE a pain ... in the wallet!
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Pat
Try doing what we do Bobby.
We took on three rescue cats who were around 11 years old and fund that no-one wanted to insure them. The only firm that would had so many exclusions it wouldn't have been worthwhile so pop £40 a month in an envelope and forget about it.
We've lost one during the last two years (and acquired another who is 12 yrs old) and despite the vets bills incurred we're still well placed to pay for any event out of the envelope.

It's a win/win situation really.

Pat
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - CGNorwich
Totally agree Pat. Pet insurance is hugely profitable to Insurers. 60% of the premiums goes to admin, claims handling and profit etc. with around 40% coming back as claims.

Vets bills are inevitable if you are a pet owner. Never insure against the inevitable. It will cost you!

Pet Insurance - recommendations? - WillDeBeest
Agreed: self-insurance is the only sensible way. When we had a policy for our previous cat, it had an excess of £50. The little git was a fighter, and every other month he was down to the vet to have a wound treated and a course of antibiotics - and a bill of £30. So no help from the insurers in return for their £8 a month.

We gave it up and put the money in our rainy day fund instead. When the cat did eventually need more complicated treatment at the end of his life, we'd saved enough to pay cash for it and still come out ahead overall.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Robbie34
I have recently acquired a new puppy. He's an Orange Roan Cocker Spaniel, and after researching the various companies I have insured him with John Lewis. The underwriter is AXA and the cover is very good. I pay £19.09 per month with a £70 excess. His is lifelong cover with vets' fees of £12,000 per annum. Lifelong cover is essential if you are unlucky and your pet develops something like epilepsy or diabetes.

My other dog is a Golden Cocker who is no longer insured. He was with M&S who increasede the premium to £579 per annum, with £70 excess plus 20% of the remainder when he reached ten years of age. He is now thirteen. M&S changed from AXA to Royal and Sun Alliance, hence the hefty increase.
9.87 per month with Direct Line -
>> 9.87 per month with Direct Line -

I think you will find it is not a lifelong policy and not as extensive cover as AXA.
Thanks for the tip - think it's due for renewal around January...
>>I have recently acquired a new puppy. He's an Orange Roan Cocker Spaniel<<

We had an orange roan cocker c1986 ... called Marmalade.

The Dutch folk @ the campsite used to call him marmelade the hund.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Zero
With a pedigree puppy pet insurance is essential.
At that age it's cheap, and you have no idea what
inherited or congenital defects there is in the puppies
bloodline. For example lab puppies can have defective
shoulders or hips or eyes and it's easy and common
to rack vets bills in the thousands.
Dump the pet insurance for year three
when the dog is at it's healthiest and most
risk free. In year 8 the premium gets prohibitively
expensive.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Bigtee
Parents dog cost them 6k in 13 years with no insurance.

Me id have shot it....................lol........................
Most pet insurance excludes congenital or inherited defects. If it is not excluded cover is expensive and there is always a waiting period before such coverage becomes effective.
Most pet insurance excludes congenital or inherited defects. If it is not excluded cover is expensive and there is always a waiting period before such coverage becomes effective.
Not the case with several insurance claims and treatment I am personally
Aware of. I personally have also had a claim allowed from a
Complication with a pre insurance existing condition.
This is Henry

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_0655.jpg

i177.photobucket.com/albums/w231/Robbie34_photo/IMG_0735.jpg

links amended as previously not working
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 16:27
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Iffy
...This is Henry...

Robbie,

Link comes up as 'page not found' this end.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - VxFan
>> Robbie,
>> Link comes up as 'page not found' this end.

Now corrected.
Nice little dog - I love Spaniels - mine has what could be termed as "issues" but a very faithful hound nonetheless, been through some dark times together.
Really lovely looking dog - I'm quite envious........word of warning it'll take him at least 5 years to "wisen up" they are bonkers..
He's beautiful and I bet he never does anything wrong, he looks so innocent:)

Pat
My dog never does anything wrong. According to her face and body language, there is another black Labrador in the house that us humans cant see, the outcome being:

1/ "It wasn't me it was the other one" that ate the shoe/slept on the bed/dribbled water on the floor and made the kitchen slippy etc etc

2/ "No No you have it wrong, you haven't fed me it was the OTHER Labrador you fed"
Robbie, re your John Lewis lifelong cover, where does it state this on the quote / policy?
Can't see reference to it anywhere online?
Robbie, re your John Lewis lifelong cover, where does it state this on the quote
>> / policy?
>> Can't see reference to it anywhere online?

It doesn't specifically mention it in the policy. I 'phoned John Lewis this morning and was told that the term "lifelong" can be misinterpreted so it is not mentioned. As long as you renew your policy each year then you are fully covered for any ongoing condition.
>>
Robbie, cheers for that.
Think I am going to fo with AXA` direct, seem to be the cheapest for the best level of cover and underwrite a few of the others including JL !
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - henry k
>> My 10.5 year old R/Ridgeback is showing signs of age related problems at the moment.
>> But he is not in any discomfort, his appetite is normal + he is still a lively little monster.
>>
>> Some pedigree breeds though, ARE a pain ... in the wallet!
>>
Like these R/Ridgebacks ?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12044632
Thank you for that Henry - aren't they adorable! ... if I win the €uromi££ions this week, I'd buy the whole litter :)

I'd recommend anyone to travel to The Fatherland via Gatwick or €urofunnel to try to secure one.

Here is my Milo, pretending to be an orse ~

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/5279900050
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - swiss tony
Don't forget to tell the insurance company if you upgrade anything, e.g. a better collar, or a doggie coat.......
What's his name Bobby?

Pat
Pat, his name is Finn!
...and winter paws...!
He's a Labrador, he has winter paws as a standard feature (little hairs and ridges in his pads) to enable superb traction and acceleration. He doesn't have anti lock pads tho and breaking distances are huge.
I like that, anything has to be better than FiFi:)

I bet he has no control of his legs yet whatsoever, and it will get worse before it gets better!

Pat
Fifi is not actually called Fifi
Fifi is actually called. " Flight "
I was pondering that this morning Zero - Alf the spaniel has superb traction and goes with no apparent problem to where I would fear to tread. Very hairy pads loads of ridges as you say. They are remarkably sensitive as well, so much so that salt on the roads cause him dis-comfort, quite funny watching him trying to walk on one paw the other afternoon !
Three dogs were sitting in the waiting room at the vet's when they struck
up a conversation. The Yellow Labrador turned to the Black Labrador and said,
" So why are you here ? "

.*******
sofa, the curtains, the cat, the kids. But the final straw was last night when I
peed in the middle of my owner's bed."

The Yellow Lab said, " So what's the vet going to do ? "

" Gonna cut my nuts off " came the reply from the Black Lab.
"They reckon it'll calm me down.

The Black Lab then turned to the Yellow Lab and asked " Why are you here ? "

The Yellow Lab said, " I'm a digger. I dig under fences, dig up flowers and
trees, I dig just for the hell of it. When I'm inside, I dig up the carpets..
But I went over the line last night when I dug a great big hole in my
owners' couch."

" So what are they going to do to you ? " the Black Lab inquired.

" Looks like I'm losing my nuts too," the dejected Yellow Lab said.

The Black Lab then turned to the Great Dane and asked, " Why are you here ? "

" I'm a humper," said the Great Dane. "I'll hump anything. I'll hump the cat, a
pillow, the table, fence posts, whatever. I want to hump everything I
see."

Yesterday my owner had just got out of the shower and was bending down to
dry her toes, and I just couldn't help myself. I hopped on her back and
started hammering away."

The Black and the Yellow Labs exchanged a sad glance and said,
" So, it's nuts off for you too, huh ?"

The Great Dane said, " No, apparently I'm here to get my nails clipped ! "
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 18:32
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Tooslow
tinyurl.com/2fmblwc

Also discussed in this thread. Hope it helps.
John
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Tigger
Best value I've found is Axa through the caravan club. Indeed, the savings pay for the annual membership.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - MD
3 labradors. Premium £0.00 with no-one. Give it a try. It's a way to save money without effort.
Thanks for all the advice and recommendations, I will look into all the suggestions probably tonight when I am up all night listening to its crying and whimpering in its cage!
That's the hard bit, he'll come to love his cage as a safe haven and refuge eventually - funny things dogs.
Any thoughts on real vs artificial xmas tree in relation to a (by then) 10 week puppy.

I know he may pull at either etc but thinking more of the smell element?
Some conifers are poisonous, so you might have a poorly puppy if it chews on a real tree.

Don't suppose a plastic one would do it much good either, but it might be the lesser of the two evils.
Might be more of a problem if he cocks his leg against it Bobby - if you leave him unsupervised he any choccie decorations might cuse him more damage than the tree tough.
 Pet Insurance - recommendations? - Tooslow
But if the lights are on he'll only do it once :-)
John
...But if the lights are on he'll only do it once :-)...

Could burn the house down, that.
AAAAArrrrgggghhhh not again!!
See we'd purposely skated over that bit.....
Dont ignore PU, chocolate is poisonous to dogs, so none of them.

Trees re not poisonous to dogs, if that were the case every dog that's chewed a pine cone ( all of them then) would have died.

In any event, real or artificial, the pup is gonna have it over.
>>chocolate is poisonous to dogs, so none of them.<<

Only the dark stuff wot I eat though - milk choc is mostly milk & sugar.
www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/editors-choice/2010/12/20/carol-smillie-turns-midwife-to-help-pooch-deliver-eight-pups-86908-22796006/

One of these pups is our new addition.........
They are adorable Bobby, any chance of a photo of him?

Pat
Pat, the one on the right in the link is ours, will try and post up photos later of him in the snow.
Youv'e had snow?
Just a dusting but don't think I mentioned it.......
...One of these pups is our new addition...

Carol Smillie, whatever happened to her?

Latest Forum Posts