Non-motoring > Cricket scoring - how does it work? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 41

Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Tooslow
Over the past few days I have heard variations on the phrase "were all out at xxx for 9". Now my ignorance of cricket knows no bounds but even I know that there are 11 in a team, so if you've only got 9 out then there are still 2 standing, one at each goal. So they can't be all out. So what's that about then?

I might also ask how on earth you can draw but that might imply some interest rather than idle curiousity :-)

John
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - RattleandSmoke
I never understood cricket, but I know it has something do with bribes.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Ian (Cape Town)
Our bribers are better than their bribes!
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Skip
I wouldn't bother trying to understand the scoring, the game itself is one of the most mind numblingly boring things on earth, so god knows what that makes the scoring !
Last edited by: AndyP on Sat 4 Dec 10 at 18:18
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - PhilW
" So what's that about then?"
One of the batting side must have been injured, unable to bat, or, more likely "retired hurt".
Need 10 wickets down for a side to be "all out".
Mind you, I do remember playing in a team a good few years ago when we could only get 8 players and that included a couple of lads who had only come to the ground because the bar was open!, so we were all out with seven wickets down - happens quite often if you only rise to the village 3rd Sunday Team (nearly put Village 3rd Sunday XI !)
" the game itself is one of the most mind numblingly boring things on earth"
Sorry AndyP, but anyone interested in the game would say exactly the opposite. It's a very complex game that requires great tactical skills, team effort and individual skills of great variety. It can also be played by people of virtually any size and shape. Even for those of us with very limited skills it can be wonderfully rewarding - take a catch, get a wicket, score a few runs, run someone out with a good bit of fielding. Sometimes, of course, you may drop a sitter, get tonked out of the ground as a bowler and get a diamond duck (run out without facing a ball). But then, next week it will all be different!
And that's not to mention the fantastic tea laid on and a few pints in the bar afterwards!
Phil I Hit a Six Once Off The Last Ball Of The Game To Win The Match
(I won't mention the hundreds of somewhat less glorious moments!!!)
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Iffy
I played to a very low standard years ago, but watching the Ashes on television these last few days has been a real treat.

So that's two people who play but don't know how the scoring works :-)

John
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - madf
Cricket scoring works as follows:
for every spectator who falls asleep : 1 run
for every spectator who dies of boredom: 6 runs
for every ripple of applause: 1 wicket.
for any excitement: all out.

Simple..
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - R.P.
In fairness one day or limited overs are very good sport. Might try and catch a couple of games come the summer..
There is the classic, and correct, explanation of the rules;

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

though I still don't see how you can be all out having lost only 9 wickets. I've heard the expression several days apart wrt the current games in Oz so it certainly sounds like game over after 9 wickets.

John
...though I still don't see how you can be all out having lost only 9 wickets...

You can't, so something's got mixed up somewhere, as PhilW says above.

Team of eleven players, so you can be, say, 350 for nine wickets down, but the team is 'all-out' when the next - tenth - wicket falls.

The last batsman is 'not out' and remains so, but the innings is over because for it to continue the team must have a batsman at each end.

"I might also ask how on earth you can draw"

Depends on the form of cricket - in one dayers or 20/20 or limited overs cricket you can't draw!
In these, side batting first scores so many runs. Second team batting has to score more to win. If they score fewer (even if not all team are out) they lose. If they score the same number of runs it is a tie. (Not a draw)
In longer forms of cricket which are not limited to a number of overs then there are "draws". In "village" cricket it will be one innings per side (these are generally limited to about 45 overs per innings), game to be finished between , say, 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock in afternoon, in county or test cricket it will be 2 innings per side and the game can last up to 5 days.
In these the first team bats until all out (unless they declare) Second team bats until all out(unless they declare). First team bats again and in doing so sets a total which the other team must beat in order to win and the first team must get all the second team out before they reach that total in order to win. If the second team overtake the total of the first team before the time is up, the second team wins. If the first team get all of the second team out before they reach first team's total then the first team wins. If the first team don't get all of the second team out before time is up and the second team have not reached the first team's total then it is a draw.
Simple ain't it!

Phil I Was Once Run Out Before Facing A Ball Which Is About The Greatest Humiliation One Can Suffer in A Cricket Match Especially Since I also Dropped A catch And Didn't Get To Bowl.
(good sandwiches for tea though and few pints afterwards so on balance a good day!)
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - RichardW
"Phil I Was Once Run Out Before Facing A Ball Which Is About The Greatest Humiliation One Can Suffer in A Cricket Match Especially Since I also Dropped A catch And Didn't Get To Bowl."

Is your nom de plume Katich, then?

Some of the test cricket can be dull, even for enthusiasts, but the current Ashes matches are looking pretty interesting. Pity that having to get up for work and a lack of Sky means I can't watch any. Much in depth coverage in the DT today though - no football as it's all frozen off thank god!
"Is your nom de plume Katich, then?"
'fraid I'm not in his class - I didn't even set off, just stood bemused a yard out of my crease at the non-striker's end wondering what was going on while all about me collapsed laughing! One little (!) mistake and my innings was over before it started. Walked back to pavilion to find all my team mates rolling about laughing as well! Such is life!!

Cricket scoring - how does it work? - hobby
>>If they score the same number of runs it is a tie. (Not a
>> draw)

That made me laugh!!

Is that a neck tie or bow tie?!

Its like the footie fans saying that although they lost the match 7-1, they won the second half as it was 7-0 at half time... Perhaps those who make up the rules for cricket should take up new jobs as MPs, they'd be quite good at it! ;-)
Last edited by: hobby on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 15:37
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Leif
>> I never understood cricket, but I know it has something do with bribes.

I always thought it involved birdies, and eagles and holes in one.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Cockle
Having played League cricket for longer than I care to reveal, up until last year, and still turning out for my local pub Sunday team, played mainly for the beer afterwards...., maybe I can add some light.

Phil W has explained pretty well how you can get a side all out with 9 or less wickets down. Basically in a normal game 10 wickets need to fall for a side to be 'all out', the 11th man is stranded on his own and is the not out batsman but cannot continue without a partner. However, if a team field only 10 players then they would be all out with only 9 wickets down but it would normally still be reported as 'all out', indeed, in League cricket where League points are scored for wickets taken then such a result would be treated, for League point purposes, as all ten having been taken. This situation is not as rare as people may think, especially in games played by 3rd or 4th XI's, I once played against a team which fielded only seven players for a League game as the penalties for failing to fulfil the fixture were worse than the resulting League points.

Topically, when dealing with Australia, they have a slightly different way of recording their scores. Whereas we score runs then wickets, 100-3 for example, they would say 3 wickets for 10 runs, 3-100. They also call what we call 'extras', 'sundries'.

Hope that helps, any more queries I will glad t help with as I am a qualified scorer, for my sins.....
Netherland by Joseph O'Neill - a good read about cricket in post 9/11 New York.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Ted

Cricket is the best sport ever invented by man, with all it's many different aspects.
A five day test match could easily be won or lost on the last ball.

Cricket is, to some extent, like chess. There are so many ways of making moves
that you never know quite where it's going.

A batsman might not have to score any runs to win the match for his side...merely to stay at the crease until time is up can save the game. Scoring is not particularly complex but other aspects, time left, anticipation of the weather, hoping for the pitch to alter during the game are important considerations for a captain, anongst many other things.

Team A might run up an enormous score....say 700 runs. They still might not win, team B has only to stay batting until the time runs out for the game to be a draw. They don't even need to make any runs ! This doesn't apply in limited over cricket, where rules are slightly different. Team A may be scoring so well that they see a situation arising where they are losing the time left to try and get all of team B out and win the match. The team A captain can then 'declare ' his team's innings over and send team B out to bat, hoping to skittle them all out and win the game. If B manages to bat 'til the time is up, called ' stumps ', then the game is drawn. If B manages to score more runs than A in the time left, then they have won.....Seemples !

Get into it, you'll be well rewarded.

Ted
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Runfer D'Hills
>> Get into it, you'll be well rewarded.

Staying awake would seem to be the first challenge in that process.

:-)
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Ted

Be careful, or I'll tell you about avoiding the follow-on, Humpy

Ted
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Runfer D'Hills
Haven't done that in years. Not since I gave up combining Guinness and curry on the same night anyway.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - scousehonda
Somebody posted after the first day of the current test series in Australia that because England had been bowled out for 260 in their first innings they were inept and typically hopeless 'as usual'. I felt compelled to suggest that the doom-mongers should bite their respective tongues as cricket is, by its very nature, a slow burning game (and, in my opinion, all the better for that) and it would be unwise to write off our chances at such an early juncture. The ensuing six days of play have left me feeling quite smug and at the time of writing England are definitely in the ascendance. But things can change which is what makes cricket the very best of all team games as far as I am concerned.
I have to eat humble pie on that one...
Pug

No need to eat humble pie but cricket can be the most exciting and nerve shredding game and for long periods it can be the most boring game imaginable to those who are not 'tuned in' to it.

The 'Ashes' series in 2005 held the country in thrall right through the summer and the Test Match at Edgbaston was one of the most dramatic sporting occasions that most can recall. On the final day of the match at Old Trafford 20,000 were locked out of the ground - and the game ended in a draw!!

Brilliant.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - devonite
All you need to know!

colinseymour.co.uk/the-rules-of-cricket
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - RattleandSmoke
I come from a bit family of cricket lovers and I still don't get it. I remember a school trip once to see a test match, I think it was South Africa verse New Zealand at Old Trafford. I fell asleep but I got out of maths and English and got some sleep but half way through the maths the lesson I was missing on trigonometry suddenly seemed like a better idea!

I think at the end of it all I understood cosine better than I did cricket!

I am actually named after a cricketer too! Ian Botham in fact. It is funny how I hate cricket and I am the exact opposite of a womaniser. I wish I was named after Ian Curtis but my parents had no idea who he was until quite recently.

It is quite ironic actually, I am named after a cricketer from Lancashire cc which play in Manchester (stretford) who is from Scunthorpe was famous in that hell hole as a footballer. And before I get told of for calling it a hell hole I know the town very well as my London part of the family some how ended up there. The only good thing about it is the ladies seem to eye me up on the platforms.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 03:50
Botham didn't play for Lancashire (he played for Worcestershire, Somerset and Durham), he wasn't from Scunthorpe (he was born in Heswall on the Wirral) and South Africa have never played a Test match against New Zealand at Old Trafford.

And, by the way, who is Ian Curtis?
Singer/songwriter for Joy Division !
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - CGNorwich
Late member of a popular rock combo my lord.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Manatee
If you think counting fallen wickets is hard, have a look at the Duckworth-Lewis method for calculating the target score for the team batting second in an interrupted one day game.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth%E2%80%93Lewis_method
Ah yes, Duckworth Lewis.

It has often been suggested that a good test of written English would be an explanantion to an American or a Frenchmen of the game of cricket. I would suggest that it is beyond the skills of anyone to include the Duckworth Lewis method in the description.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - rtj70
There's a song about that.
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Cockle
Mmmmm, Duckworth-Lewis a prime example of well educated people with doctorates trying to solve what we all think is a simple problem on the face of it; by the time everybody realise it's not quite such a simple problem we end up needing a computer the size of Deep Thought to work out the answer, which nobody believes when we get it.......
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - sherlock47
DL explanation
A somewhat less complicated explanation here
news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/rules_and_equipment/4184006.stm

I found the Wiki entry fascinating because it actully gave real life examples, and also how it can produce, (at first sght), counterintuitive results.

To anybody who wonders why I am indulging in prolific posting at this time of night - I am watching excellent streamed video of the Ashes.
At £5 for the whole of December a bargain! www.caught-offside.com
...I am watching excellent streamed video of the Ashes. At £5 for the whole of December a bargain! www.caught-offside.com...

I'm curious as to what Sky make of this, since they hold the TV rights to broadcast the Ashes in the UK.

I see the website also advertises live Premier League football.

There are a few pubs around here showing live games which are not broadcast via Sky.

" streamed video "

You might be interested in this - quality is not always great though
Also good for rugby (and maybe soccer though I'm not interested in soccer any more)
www.myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=cricket
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Zero
Rolf Harris, Dame Edna, Kylie Minogue, Shane Warne, Crocodile Dundee, your boys took hell of a beating!!

Yes Yes YES oh dear Lucifer YES!

The highlight of the day for me will be reading the Australian press.

www.theaustralian.com.au

www.foxsports.com.au
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 7 Dec 10 at 09:21
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Hard Cheese

Actually The Australian offers pretty well balanced coverage.

Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Zero
Yes, it must be sheer agony for them, that's the delightful part. However they still go for the jugular of their home players if you read the side pieces.

This from the courier mail

LEGENDARY cricket enemies Sir Ian Botham and Ian Chappell had to be pulled apart after a furious dust-up in a car park after the fourth day of the Adelaide Test.

The England and Australia icons have a feud going back more than 30 years and squared up before their Sky and Channel 9 colleagues intervened.

Botham, who hasn't spoken to former Australia captain Chappell since 1980 despite them working in close proximity in cricket ground television booths around the globe, was waiting for his Sky transport to collect him outside the Adelaide Oval, the Daily Mail reported.

Chappell muttered something highly provocative as he went past.

A surprised Botham turned around to retort: 'What did you say?'

When Chappell made another incendiary remark, both of them dropped their bags and were at each others' throats before being quickly separated.

Channel 9 News reported tonight that Botham is disputing some elements of the Daily Mail report.

A Channel 9 source who works with Chappell said: 'They went for each other all right and it could have got very nasty if there hadn't been people on hand to keep them apart.

'They reacted quickly because we all know the history between these two. They might be aged 55 and 67, but neither of them are the type of people to give an inch in the face of conflict.'

The pair have a deep mutual resentment going back to 1977.
It started during the Centenary Test at Melbourne in March of that year when an uncapped 21-year-old Botham, playing club cricket in Australia, ended up in the same bar as Chappell next to the Hilton Hotel.

The fiercely patriotic Botham objected to the Pommie-bashing comments of passionate republican Chappell, who had recently retired.

According to Botham's version of events, he landed a punch on Chappell which sent him sprawling off his bar stool into a group of Aussie Rules footballers, scattering their drinks.

Chappell was then chased out of the bar by Botham, who hurdled a car bonnet to get at him.

The Australian's version is that Botham had goaded him about not wanting to tour England that year because 'too many blokes are looking to knock your block off' and that 'everyone's looking for you because you're a p****' before pushing him off his chair. Chappell says he then walked calmly out, pursued by a ranting Botham.

Since then the pair, despite working together for Channel 9 during the 1998-99 Ashes tour, have only traded insults
 Cricket scoring - how does it work? - Hard Cheese

Hehe, sounds like that might be a more even contest than the cricket.

Latest Forum Posts