Non-motoring > A Very Lucky Escape Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 54

A Very Lucky Escape - Clk Sec
A very lucky escape, and a very brave policeman.

tinyurl.com/2bmrwrq
 A Very Lucky Escape - MD
Lucky it was in Madrid. Here he would have had to have an NVQ in it and permission from someone. Remember those folk that drowned while two coppers watched them due to not being trained to go into a pond.

Grate Britain.
 A Very Lucky Escape - R.P.
They weren't coppers Martin - I know it spoils a good story, but they were PCSOs..
 A Very Lucky Escape - -
The fella done good, and not a moment too soon, landing on those rails would be nasty.
 A Very Lucky Escape - rtj70
Also The children were already under water when they got there and out of sight. They didn't know where they were. That's the problem with how news is sometimes reported and then remembered.
 A Very Lucky Escape - Iffy
...They weren't coppers Martin - I know it spoils a good story, but they were PCSOs...

They were not confronted by a lad thrashing around in the water shouting: 'Help me! Help me!'

By the time the PCSOs arrived the lad had been in the water several minutes and there was no sign of him.

So unless the PCSOs had X-ray vision and the lad had taken some Oxygum to enable him to breathe under water, there wasn't much point in jumping in.
 A Very Lucky Escape - midlifecrisis
If it had been in the UK the Daily Mail and BBC would have had foot high headlines about Police brutally attacking man who was taking a short cut home. (And cut the clip so it only shows 3-4 seconds of the incident)
...If it had been in the UK the Daily Mail and BBC would have had foot high headlines about Police brutally attacking man...

mlc,

What a jaundiced view for a Sunday morning.

I'm surprised at you having a pop at the Daily Mail, it's basically pro-police, particularly rank and file.

The hang 'em and flog 'em brigade need people like you to do the flogging, if not the hanging.
>> I'm surprised at you having a pop at the Daily Mail, it's basically pro-police, particularly
>> rank and file.

I'm clearly living in some form of parallel universe. The Daily Mail isn't fit to be used as toilet paper. It's the absolute worst offender for lies and deceit where the Police are concerned. (Although the Guardian has been doing it's best to take over as late)

Having been present at some of the incidents these 'journalist' have reported on, I should be immune to the lies they tell. Unfortunately, we have gutless senior Officers who quite happily put 'public perception' in front of the truth, which can have devastating consequences for front line officers.
 A Very Lucky Escape - paulb
>> ...The Daily Mail isn't fit to be used as toilet paper...

Even now they use that special ink that doesn't rub off? ;-)

In seriousness, most of the mainstream media are the same, to one extent or another.
 A Very Lucky Escape - MD
Same applies though Rob. They were Humans in a role entailing responsibility.
 A Very Lucky Escape - MD
If I have only half a story then I apologise.
 A Very Lucky Escape - FotheringtonTomas
>> Remember those folk that drowned while two coppers watched them

PCSOs, as mentioned elsewhere. "The conduct of the two PCSOs led to a national outcry after Greater Manchester Police claimed the officers could not jump into the water because of health and safety rules." & "The inquest into his death heard the PCSOs did not rescue him as they were not trained to deal with the incident". It doesn't matter whether who the people were that didn't try and directly help, whether PCSOs, police, or whoever, it does appear that there was a failing in their conduct.
And there is a perfect example of what I was talking about. When the PCSOs turned up it had been a considerable period of time since the victim had been seen. 'Witnesses' couldn't point out where they were last seen or give any other information. All that was visible was a large, deep lake. There was absolutely nothing the PCSOs could have done.

'Journalists' turned this into a 'PCSOs watch victim drown due to health and safety.' Absolutely reprehensible and why I wouldn't urinate on a journalist if they were on fire. Despise them with a passion.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 18:03
>> There was absolutely nothing the PCSOs could have done.

Yes, there was. They could have tried. I read comments on various police forums about what other people would have done. Your opinion seems to be a minority one, even in the police.
Well, as I work in a 'Police environment' every day, I think you'll find it isn't the minority view.
 A Very Lucky Escape - -
Taking everything in the media with a huge pinch of salt is good practice.

From opinionated innuendo to downright fabrication every subject, person, political party, religion etc is subject to either being castigated or idolised according to the wishes (and the current hymnsheet page) of those that own the media/country/author.

I haven't bought a newspaper for must be well over 25 years now and from my perusals of some of the online offerings that will continue to be the case.

It's surprisingly enlightening to not subject yourself to never ending propaganda, and a boon not to be paying for the privelidge.
 A Very Lucky Escape - Zero

>> Yes, there was. They could have tried. I read comments on various police forums about
>> what other people would have done. Your opinion seems to be a minority one, even
>> in the police.

Dont be ridiculous. If there was something to be done then SOMEONE would have done something, PCSO, Policeman, or EVEN A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC.

They didnt try did they.

PCSO's or Policemen superman divers or something?
>> Dont be ridiculous. If there was something to be done then SOMEONE would have done
>> something, PCSO, Policeman, or EVEN A MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC.
>>
>> They didnt try did they.

"The boy's stepfather and a friend waded into the pond in a desperate search for him and were joined minutes later by a uniformed officer (Sergeant Craig Lippitt) who stripped off his body armour and dived in to help them"

>> PCSO's or Policemen superman divers or something?
>
>> "The boy's stepfather and a friend waded into the pond in a desperate search for
>> him and were joined minutes later by a uniformed officer (Sergeant Craig Lippitt) who stripped
>> off his body armour and dived in to help them"
>>
>>
>> >> PCSO's or Policemen superman divers or something?

Excellent, so the PCSO's had superpowers that the boys father and Sargeant Craig Lippet didnt have then and would find them in an instant?

How do you think they are the champions?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 19:55
I don't know what you're on about. The "superman divers" bit was yours, not mine. Perhaps you've lost it, and are turning even sourer.
Sour? I'm not the one bitching and whining about someone else's actions.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 19:55
...Perhaps you've lost it, and are turning even sourer...

Zero sour?

I've always found him to be a ray of forum sunshine.

A little like myself, really.

Then you should elope.
Actually, we are the same poster.

We are Mr_X as well.
Actually, we are the same poster.

We are Mr_X as well.
...Absolutely reprehensible and why I wouldn't urinate on a journalist if they were on fire. Despise them with a passion...

Top post.

I like a man who speaks his mind, even if it is warped.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 18:03
I'm quite a good Policeman. Doubt I'd make a good diplomat!
...I'm quite a good Policeman. Doubt I'd make a good diplomat!...

Ha ha.

I wouldn't make a good one of either.

I'm certainly no diplomat, and were I a polis, I'd make Robocop look moderate.
Last edited by: Iffy on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 11:51
 A Very Lucky Escape - Old Navy
It's not only the Police, or PCSO's who no longer have a remit to help.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8545876.stm
 A Very Lucky Escape - AnotherJohnH
Related to the original post -

am I alone in half expecting an express to come through the other way?

Regarding rescuing - there are more than enough people die trying to help when they are "out of their depth".

However, further to being drowned in freezing conditions, there is the incredible case of Anna Bågenholm.

Unbelievable.
 A Very Lucky Escape - bathtub tom
>>there are more than enough people die trying to help when they are "out of their depth".

I did a life saving course at our local swimming pool when I was involved with scouts. The first thing you're taught is not to put yourself at risk. It's obvious when you think about it.

I only had to use the training once when I saw a group of four people get into trouble in the sea. I looked around and grabbed a lilo off a kid nearby. It gave me a faster method of approach and could give enough buoyancy to everyone. One of the group said their heart sunk when they saw me respond to their wave and then turn my back on them, but she still married me.

The kid's dad was ready to deck me when I returned the lilo!
 A Very Lucky Escape - -
but she still married me. ''''

That's such a nice story Tom brought a lump to the throat, thankyou for sharing it.
 A Very Lucky Escape - bathtub tom
>>That's such a nice story Tom brought a lump to the throat, thankyou for sharing it.

Don't get too emotional gb, I'm sure they would've recovered without me.
North Norfolk coast. messing about in the waves. One realises they're out of their depth and panics resulting in another panicking.

Similarly, tarn Hawes in the lake district. Several decided to swim out to the island, despite their abilities. On the return one started to flag. I returned to swim behind them. They wanted to rest and tread water. I'd paused and felt the weeds around my legs when treading water, but managed not to panic! I told them treading water used more energy than swimming - they believed me.

SWMBO-to-be had learnt her lesson by now and kept her clothes on.
>> >>there are more than enough people die trying to help when they are "out of
>> their depth".
>>

I totally agree, I often see (on TV these days) People who obviously have no knowledge of a marine environment putting themselves into dangerous situations.

I see that in the "rescue" situation we (or the emergency services) are no longer allowed to use common sense.

A situation I was involved in was during the early days of the fireman's strike in the late 70's, all navy personnel are trained firefighters and can use breathing apparatus. The navy manned green goddesses had BA on board but clearance had not been given to use it by the MOD. The army used rapid response RAF firefighters for BA. My goddess was called to a flat full of smoke at 2am (classic fag on furniture fire) and no one knew if there was anyone in the flat. We went in and searched the flat using BA, as we came out our photo's were taken by the local press. Our boss was on the phone as soon as he saw the papers, to confirm that we were not to use BA but as he was not on site use our discretion. He had covered his back and turned a Nelsonian eye. We got the authorisation within 24 hours.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 14:58
 A Very Lucky Escape - Leif
bathtub tom said:

>> One of the group said their heart sunk when they saw me
>> respond to their wave and then turn my back on them, but she still married
>> me.

Marvellous story.

>> The kid's dad was ready to deck me when I returned the lilo!

Decking is very fashionable these days.
 A Very Lucky Escape - Bellboy
Decking is very fashionable these days.
>
>>>>> cant stand the stuff
too easy to make a slip up on it
its ok on blackpool pier of course where real wood is used, hewn from old ships that travelled the world
 A Very Lucky Escape - Dog
>>there is the incredible case of Anna Bågenholm.<<

Having just read about that incredible case, I would hazard a guess that Cryogenics would be a complete waste of wonga unless the brain receives oxygen while in a frozen state, which with Cryogenics is below -150°C.
"Cryogenics" (in the case of "preserving" people cryonics) is a very good way of killing human tissue, and relieving people of lots and lots of money. That's the best that can be said for it.
 A Very Lucky Escape - hobby
There's the "ordinary" press such as the daily rags... Then there's Watchdog, who take distortion of the truth to whole new levels... And yes, I have had experience of their so-called exposes...

Back to the OP, I notice that there wasn't a trough between the lines like the LU have got... but luckily nor was there a third/fourth rail which would have made rather a mess of that rescuing guy!
but luckily nor was there a third/fourth rail which would have made rather a mess of that rescuing guy!

That was probably part of his dynamic risk assessment !
 A Very Lucky Escape - hobby
I think it was with the other punters on the platform... but not with him... rather like those characters who go diving in the swollen river/rough seas to rescue their pet dog... strange how the dog tends to survive but they don't...
 A Very Lucky Escape - Dog
>>"Cryogenics" (in the case of "preserving" people cryonics)<<

That's what I meant ... I'd still prefer that though to the other 2 options, when 'the time' comes.
>> "Cryogenics" (in the case of "preserving" people cryonics) is a very good way of killing
>> human tissue, and relieving people of lots and lots of money. That's the best that
>> can be said for it.

Exactly. Freezing human tissue destroys it, due to the formation of ice crystals, one effect of which is to pierce cell membranes. But it would be good if someone in the future wanted to eat your body, or feed it to their dogs.
 A Very Lucky Escape - corax
>> Exactly. Freezing human tissue destroys it, due to the formation of ice crystals, one effect
>> of which is to pierce cell membranes. But it would be good if someone in
>> the future wanted to eat your body, or feed it to their dogs.

It wouldn't taste the same as fresh though, like freezing raspberries.
 A Very Lucky Escape - MD
>> It's not only the Police, or PCSO's who no longer have a remit to help.
>>
>> news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8545876.stm
>>
Having just read the story O.N. I feel quite sick.
>> >> It's not only the Police, or PCSO's who no longer have a remit to
>> help.
>> >>
>> >> news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8545876.stm
>> >>
>> Having just read the story O.N. I feel quite sick.
>>

The ultimate jobsworths IMO.
 A Very Lucky Escape - -

>> The ultimate jobsworths IMO.
>>

Shame, and the Good Lord help us.
>> >> It's not only the Police, or PCSO's who no longer have a remit to
>> help.
>> >>
>> >> news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8545876.stm
>> >>
>> Having just read the story O.N. I feel quite sick.

Surely common sense would say to hell with regulations, or am I missing something?
 A Very Lucky Escape - CGNorwich
More info

www.heraldscotland.com/news/crime-courts/fire-chief-defends-rescue-failures-1.1017112
I've seen first hand what volunteer MRTs do - They apply common sense to horrendous situations - they take calculated risks on a regular basis (at least 2 rescues a week around here all year round) in the most extreme situations any of us can imagine - but I rarely hear of or see anything in the press where a complex rescue undertaken by these guys go wrong and someone gets hurt. Maybe the professionals have something to learn from them.

Edit. I have seen them work first hand and they genuinely deserve the term professional - but they do it for nothing......
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 20:42
Midlifecrisis said:

>> I'm quite a good Policeman. Doubt I'd make a good diplomat!

Ooh I don't know, I think you'd make a very entertaining diplomat as long as you were posted to a small country without nuclear arms.
 A Very Lucky Escape - Bellboy
Ooh I don't know, I think you'd make a very entertaining diplomat as long as you were posted to a small country without arms.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> with no arms he couldnt have these though
www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6074652
 A Very Lucky Escape - AnotherJohnH
applets?

Isn't that something for the iphone?

Epaulettes, surely.

I'm off to the pedants thread now....

...The now retired fireman, 51, said...

Someone else we're going to pay to sit on his backside for 30 years.
Latest Forum Posts