Non-motoring > Reccomend me a wireless thermostat please Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 13

Reccomend me a wireless thermostat please - hawkeye
Something I should have done years ago is introduce a thermostat to the house CH system. The new extension has a separate plumbing circuit to the house, but the same boiler. We have existed up to now with TRVs and me turning the heating off in an arbitrary fashion.

If the decrepit in-laws get to us this Christmas, they will, as usual, complain that I have turned the heating off while there is still ice on their bedroom window. I would like to tell them that I have handed control over to a chunk of technology and it's nothing to do with me any more.

:-)

Any recommendations, or are they all much of a muchness (like Rattle's fridge) ?

As always, TIA.
 Reccomend me a wireless thermostat please - Stuartli
My central heating has a Honeywell wireless thermostat which is still using the same AA battery which it came with two years ago.

No problems with it to date, which is not the case with one of its radiator thermostats, which never worked and had to be replaced by the installer (the radiator was permanently on full heat!).

He said it was quite a common problem with Honeywell thermostats and replaced it with a Bulldog brand alternative.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 14:55
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - Perky Penguin
Danfoss is a recognised name for these fittings
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - R.P.
How hard would these be to connect to a Bosch Worcester Combi circa 1998
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - Old Navy
Sorry to be a bit thick, but my system only has TRV's and auto on/off switching at the boiler (with manual override). Once the TRV's were set up it maintains a constant house temperature regardless of the ambient temperature outside. Why do you need another thermostat, you have one on each radiator ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 15:52
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - Perky Penguin
I read it that OP is trying to control the new secondary circuit in the extension and the TRVs are in the orginal system.
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - Old Navy
>> I read it that OP is trying to control the new secondary circuit in the
>> extension and the TRVs are in the original system.
>>

Me too, but wouldn't another few TRV's be better rather than having the wireless thermostat/boiler and the TRV's fighting each other ? You could end up with the boiler off and TRV's wide open or vice versa or the original and new extension systems fighting each other.

As you may have gusswd, I am not a plumber. just trying to figure out how it would work. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 5 Dec 10 at 16:27
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - McP
I have just bought a non-wireless Salus RT500 to replace an old style dial.
VERY easy to setup. 5+2 or 7 day programme. 5 variable temps throughout the day
The Danfoss looked over complicated. The Honeywell expensive.

Wireless version
tinyurl.com/39yjedo
This is where I bought mine from. Very quick delivery.
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - Stuu
I also have a Salus RT500 and would echo previous sentiments.
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - hawkeye
Apologies for the lack of clarity.

House; pump and TRVs everywhere except hall radiator - no by-pass.

Extension; pumped underfloor heating with a zone valve and hard-wired non-intuitive programmable thermostat on wall.

Same boiler, same clock, but has a switch that can run extension only or both together.

I am confident I can wire in a wireless thermostat but would appreciate a recommendation.

Ta.
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - teabelly
Heatmiser to a wireless programmable one which you can keep with you and move room to room so you can put the thing in their room so they can't complain! They also do a more standard one for about 50 quid that you can programme temperatures into for several periods during the day.

Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - rtj70
We've got a Honeywell CM901 thermostat timer which does support a wireless thermostat in another room. Lets you set six target temperatures for 6 periods throughout the day. All radiators in our house apart from the hall when (where the CM901 is located) have their own thermostatic valves.
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - rtj70
>> Extension; pumped underfloor heating with a zone valve and hard-wired non-intuitive
>> programmable thermostat on wall.

So might it not be easier to replace this? Or am I also missing something?
 Recommend me a wireless thermostat please - hawkeye
>> >> Extension; pumped underfloor heating with a zone valve and hard-wired non-intuitive
>> >> programmable thermostat on wall.
>>
>> So might it not be easier to replace this? Or am I also missing something?
>>

The extension thermostat only affects temperature in the extension because of the separate zone valve and pump.

Thanks for all the replies; food for thought.
Latest Forum Posts