Non-motoring > Continental to blame for Concorde crash Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 6

Continental to blame for Concorde crash - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11923556

If they were genuinely responsible, €200,000 doesn't seem a very big fine. Also paying €1m to Air France can't cover the cost of their loss - but I guess the insurers already did that, along with teh €100m to the families of the 113 killed.
 Continental to blame for Concorde crash - R.P.
It's a conclusion sorted out by very well paid lawyers...everyone are as happy as they'll get.
 Continental to blame for Concorde crash - Zero
what a dreadful stitch-up.
 Continental to blame for Concorde crash - henry k
>> what a dreadful stitch-up.
>>
It certainly is

Quotes from another site :-

"The aircraft was overweight, Centre of Gravity outside the aft limit, taking off downwind, a 10 inch spacer missing from the main undercarriage and eyewitnesses reported that it was already on fire before it hit the titanium strip".

"Why is Air France not on the block too, their negligence led directly to the crash too?"

"France will never blame a French and certainly never Air France for not complying with the maintenance procedures! Shame on them!"
 Continental to blame for Concorde crash - SteelSpark
So, a French court finds the US airline guilty but its own national airline not culpable...quelle surprise!
 Continental to blame for Concorde crash - Bromptonaut
I'd be interested to see if our resident ATPL has a view on this.

The court verdict is entirely consistent with the French accident board's conclusion on the causes. The issue with the missing spacer might have been causative but the loading and C/G discrepancies seem pretty small beer. A flying blowtorch like that shown in the pictures is unlikely to remain controllable

Would be interesting to know if the use of a westerly runway was noise preferential; although the last communication from the tower suggested a tailwind the wind had been calm/variable and other traffic was presumably using the same runway.

The AF Concorde operation may have been a bit sloppy but the real story is why the a/c could not survive something so forseeable as foreign object damage.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 19:10
 Continental to blame for Concorde crash - mikeyb
It could withstand FOD and had done before, but there were quite a few differences between the BA Concorde's and the Air Chance ones.

I work for the certificate holder of this aircraft, and work with a colleague who used to work in customer support. BA would pay for any product improvement's offered, AF would not. If the strip of metal was the only cause of this incident then a BA one would have been OK.

I am not privy to any information on the investigation, but one thing I do know is that no one single incident brings an aircraft down - its always a series of events.

I imagine that the court case will allow AF's insurers to claim their 100 mil back from Continental
Latest Forum Posts