Non-motoring > Politicians and their promises Miscellaneous
Thread Author: SteelSpark Replies: 6

Politicians and their promises - SteelSpark
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11929401

Same old story, say anything to get in and then quietly change your mind. Be it knives or tuition fees, or whatever else.

My favourite in this area, by a country mile, is Obama and the people that were seduced by his fine talk and promises.

Bashing Bush for saying that some people couldn't be convicted but also couldn't be released from Gitmo, and also for putting conditions on when he would speak with the likes of North Korea.

Well, Gitmo is still open, and they have said that at least one terrorist will not be released even if found not guilty in court. Oh, and they currently won't speak with North Korea, unless they agree to change their behaviour.

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/30/us-rejects-talks-north-korea

Meet the new boss...
 Politicians and their promises - madf
I'm sorry. Anyone, but anyone, who believes a politician.. is seriously .. and I mean seriously .. dumb , deluded and naive...

Don't blame the politicians. Blame the dumbnuts who vote for politicians who clearly hold their own voters in complete and utter contempt. And rightly so. Why? Because they vote for them come what may...

Last edited by: madf on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 18:50
 Politicians and their promises - Bromptonaut
Albeit that I'm a card carrying pinko lefty I've a certain warmth towards Ken Clarke.

Promising to jail anyone caught carrying a knife was always going to end up with 'scout jailed for carrrying sheath knife' type headlines. Even in the rather darker scenarios there will be plenty of young men carrying a weapon through fear rather than conviction. The shame was letting the press grab the agenda perhaps the Tories exploiting the Kinsella family for a quick political buck.
 Politicians and their promises - SteelSpark
>> Don't blame the politicians. Blame the dumbnuts who vote for politicians who clearly hold their
>> own voters in complete and utter contempt. And rightly so. Why? Because they vote for
>> them come what may...

Agree 100%. I don't have contempt for Obama, he has done very well for himself, my contempt is for the muppets that fall for it. People at the end of our street had an Obama party on election night, for goodness sake, and I'm not sure they have even been to the US. They just fell for all the slickness and the promise of change after Georgie Boy, and bathed in the reflected glow of worldliness and sophistication. I asked them at the time how Obama could live up to all his anti-Bush promises (especially the Gitmo ones)...never did get an answer, or a change of opinion, just a brief flicker of puzzlement...but then Obama is a bit slicker than me :)
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Mon 6 Dec 10 at 19:21
 Politicians and their promises - Stuu
I think the public has been terribly ignorant about the way Coalition politics works, which is why you see so many election promises withdrawn - there is neither a Tory nor a Liberal government, so frankly if as a supporter of either you get anything you voted for, id be grateful, esp a Liberal supporter who would normally have got zero policies near the books.

Im getting rather bored with all these idiots on TV pretending they dont know how coalitions work. Just makes them look pathetic frankly. The mix of quite right-wing polices and quite left-wing ones is certainly something you wont get with a single party government. I find it all rather curious. I dont feel my vote was wasted though.

Politicians and their promises - Zero
The mix of quite right-wing polices and
>> quite left-wing ones is certainly something you wont get with a single party government. I
>> find it all rather curious.

I find it all rather refreshing. There appears to be a heavy dose of realism and pragmatism dawning on both parties to the party.
 Politicians and their promises - hobby
Yep, I agree, it makes a pleasant change... Though my eldest daughter is severely dissolussioned (sp) about the LibDems... I did warn her though that any party can promise the earth when they don't expect to end up in power... the chickens are coming home to roost big time!!
Latest Forum Posts