Non-motoring > Railway track. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 3

Railway track. - Ted

One for Bigtee, probably.
I use Manchester Piccadilly a fair few times. I've noticed, over the last years, that a zigzag line of weld has been put on the railhead for some distance before the buffers.

What is this intended to do, give the brakes more grip ? Act like a rumble srrip and wake the driver up ? Or any other purpose. ?

Ted
 Railway track. - Zero
Its to aid track circuit detection. Ie make better electrical contact with the wheels.

Usually in places where the rails don't get used or "cleaned" much
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 9 Dec 10 at 18:07
 Railway track. - Bigtee
I can't add much more to that but it's a very hard weld is it siver is that hard?

Anyway it's found on all buffer ends and rumbles when driven over & if your interested a train entering a platform will only come in below 10 mph think it's 8 mph if it's going too fast a sensor cuts in and puts the brakes on.

More useless information from bigtee.
 Railway track. - hobby
Driver reminder mainly... to prevent that "oops" moment... A sort of "you are nearly there" reminder... Close up vision from the cab on the high speed trains is pretty bad due to the nice pointed end!

BTW the speed into terminal platforms differs from station to station - platform 7 at Reading is supposed to be 5mph after a couple of drivers got caught out by slippy rails!
Latest Forum Posts