Non-motoring > I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 43

I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - devonite
After all the Snow and ice, we have two weeks refuse piled up at the end of our street. Five minutes ago, hearing the collection wagon, I rushed out with this weeks bin-bag, and cheerfully said to the "Lads" "Here you go, you might as well take this weeks as well!" - they replied " Sorry mate! we`re only allowed to pick up whats here, not new stuff, you`ll have to hang on to it till Monday"

My foot still hurts from when my jaw dropped on it!
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Iffy
...Sorry mate! we`re only allowed to pick up whats here, not new stuff...

Maybe, just maybe, they wanted to be sure the wagon wouldn't fill up before the end of the round.

The usual Monday round fills two loads, and takes most of the working day, not really helped by the fact that the Tip is 35miles away! and the crew of five all pile in for the 70mile round trip jaunt! You would think with a two-week backlog to clear, they might of put two wagons on so that they could continue collecting whilst the first wagon and driver only are away.

>>they wanted to be sure the wagon wouldn't fill up before the end of the round.<<

not a chance! the round will take 2days this time! and 4 jaunts! ;-)
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - R.P.
Same here - the nearest landfill is now a 56 mile round trip - you'd think that there was a "best value" approach to this in not allowing full crews to go all the way there and back - seems pointless waste. I asked our regulars were sniffy about taking away 5 slate waste "big bags" almost insistent on me taking them myself to the dump - they were dirty and wet. I managed to win them over in the end by applying politeness and reasonableness to the situation. The biggest fear was of someone reporting them for doing it.
What good timing this thread was! they`re everywhere!

]just been down our local "recycling" centre (former tip!) and got told off for putting a couple of old crt monitors in the "small electrical appliance" skip, These go in the TV and momitor lock-up apparently! (smells £`s here somewhere) then got told all my carefully sorted plastics went into the "general waste" skip! (presumably for landfill) when i asked why? he told me "we haven`t the facilities to segregate it all, so chuck it in there!"
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - corax
I think it all depends on where you live and which council you have. I have to say our council are brilliant in terms of rubbish disposal.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - mikeyb
Our council are pretty good - did have a small run in with the bin men a few months back, but to be fair they were working to the insutructions given to them, and as many are contractors they do fear for their jobs.

2 week back the bin man knocked on our door to personally thank my Mrs for sorting out the recycling and telling her how much quicker / easier it has made his job.........sure its nothing to do with xmas being around the corner

I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - bathtub tom
I wish ours wouldn't start so early, usually just after 6.30AM.

A neighbour complained when he discovered it was anti-social before 7.00am and was told by a council employee: 'they can't start that early because they don't have access to the vehicle keys until 7.00am'. Don't know what planet he's on.
@devonite.

Funny you should mention the CRT thing - as we rationalised our joint TV collection, I took my wife's old CRT television to the local re-cycling dump. It was like something out of the bible inasfar as this particular temple had tables set out and "little helpers" went through your stuff and sifted it there and then - the telly went straight back into the back of a white van. Interestingly the site is run on behalf of the council by a private company, in a scheme that they operate out of the goodness of their heart (not)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 08:57
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - MD
AND a fiver?
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Harleyman
Don't have any trouble with our bin-men; not since the second time they spilt a bag all over my gateway. The first i cleaned up myself.

I gathered the rubbish up in a bag, took it down to the depot (which fortunately is directly opposite my workplace) and dropped it on the office counter, with a polite but firm explanation.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - hobby
Bags?!

Don't you have wheelybins?

Great things, we have two, one for recycle stuff and one for others... Since they've changed the scheme I reckon we're recycling far more stuff and it all works well on alternate weeks collections...
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Crankcase
We have three small houses next to us. When we moved in, as they have very tiny gardens, we said they could keep their bins on a strip of our land, next to ours.

The Council have kindly recently provided us all with a third wheelie bin, so now there are twelve bins down the garden. It's getting out of hand. We spend half our lives discussing whether each bit of cardboard goes in the blue, the green or the black bin, or in fact can't go in any of them and we have to take it to the tip ourselves, and woe betide you if you get it wrong.

Still, I suppose it's only £140 a month.
Ours have been pretty good, we used to have one "bin" bin and two boxes, one for plastics and one for paper... since the arrival of the second "green" bin we got rid of the boxes and all the green waste goes in the green bin and is "sorted" later... It works really well...
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Harleyman
>> Bags?!
>>
>> Don't you have wheelybins?
>>
>

This is west Wales mate, progress comes slowly! ;-)

We've been asking for wheely bins since I moved here 7 years ago, but no joy so far.

We do recycle, there's a privately-owned recycling facility opposite my depot for cardboard, plastic, glass etc, and a bigger one about 5 miles out of town.

The old pick-up truck comes into its own there, as one of the workers is a big Yank fan, and lets me turn up with rather more than the others just so's he can have a look at the truck! Very useful when we were rebuilding the house.
...This is west Wales mate, progress comes slowly! ;-)...

And I daresay the place is none the worse for that.

Here at Iffy Towers we've only had a second wheelie bin for recycling in the last couple of months.

I think the collections are meant to be on alternate weeks, but everyone's already lost track of the timetable, so we have different coloured bins all over the place outside.

Many areas have had two wheelie bins for years, and some households have three.

Does anyone have any more?
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Zero
BY January next year I will have

A large black Wheely Bin, A Large Green Wheely bin, a black box, a blue box, and a very small food waste bin

1 will be collected every alternate Monday, one every alternate Tuesday, one every Wednesday, and two every alternate Thursday.
Iffy check on your Council's website... the collection timetable is usually on there! (at least ours is!!)
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Roger.
All this re-cycling mania is one of the things I will hate about returning to GB.
I really can't be bothered with it and wholly deprecate the compulsion to do so backed up by threats of fines.
Who do these busy body jobsworths in local & national government think they are with their nasty "we are the masters" attitudes.
They are our servants.

A quote from a blogger - "Old Holborn"

"You can stick your CCTV, Police State, wheelie bin Stasi, DNA, WMD, “Social Cohesion”, benefits for all, guilty until proved innocent, don’t do that it’s illegal now, can’t say that, ID cards for all, where are you going, what have you been saying/doing/reading, can’t photograph that, how very dare you, golliwog banning, we know where you live, we’re watching you Soviet Utopia up your backsides. Sideways. "

(Not my grammar!)
Last edited by: Webmaster on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 01:35
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Perky Penguin
Excellent service here in the East Midlands. Landfill and recycling bins emeptied every other week and the "Green" grass cuttings etc once a fornight. The tip takes EVERYTHING, even mercury/low energy light bulbs and they claim that we are recycling 80% of our rubbish. When we had one bin mine was full every week. Now they could come for my landfill bin once every 3 months except that the smell and rotting contents would be a bit unpleasant! Plus we don't have any of this "We can't take your bin because the lid isn't shut and BTW have an £80 fine" nonsense either
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 08:36
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - paulb
Can't complain here, either (Arun DC area). Landfill gets taken once a week, on the same day all year round irrespective of bank holidays (with the exception of Christmas Day). You can have a wheelie bin, or a normal dustbin, or just leave black bags out - all they ask is that it's out the front of your property. Blue-topped big wheelie bin for recycling, collected every fortnight and on the same day of the week as the landfill. Everything goes in it, including glass.

As a result, we recycle about twice as much as we put to landfill. Got to be a good thing.
One thing I don't understand - there are six councils in North Wales - all have different coloured wheelie bins for different uses. Highly confusing.Why can't the overpaid demi-gods that run the authorities get some comminality across the region - too simple I suppose.

Denbighshire has the best system - landfill waste in one bin and everything else in the other, they then hand sort the re-cycling centrally. They have the best recycle-to landfill proportion in the country but they are castigated by the stupid assembly as they "prefer" householders to sort the rubbish first....

Wednesday is an busy night here sorting out the rubbish for the council. We should should get a discount on our Council tax...
Last edited by: Pugugly on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 09:07
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Duncan
PU, are you completely Cymru'ed now?

For whom are you going to shout when those rough men in red shirts play those nice men in white shirts in February?
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Zero
Yeah, He's gone native.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Ted

It's ' wheely bin world ' round here. I pity anyone with no garden or drive.
We have 5 currently, although for a time we had 8. 2 black for general stuff, a green for garden and the contents of the ' kitchen caddy '. Smaller blue for paper and brown for glass/tins.
The greens were gelivered, one for me and one for MI: next door. I pulled them down the frive behind the gates and looked out later to see 2 more. I gave them away later to a pal with a big garden.
I find them very useful...a 13" tyre goes in easily under household stuff. I've made a sort of table top to fit on top of the open bin with battens underneath to secure it. This is just the right height for the sliding chop saw and long timber can be cut, using the other bin as a support at the other end.
The table top is useful when working on a car outside......somewhere to put tools and things.

The bin men are generally very good We put our greens out one Tuesday the other week and they came on Wednesday after we'd put them away. I managed to catch the van and the operator told us our day had been changed !........do they think we're all psychic (???) round here ?
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - corax
>>do they
>> think we're all psychic (???) round here ?

Don't you get any information? We get pamphlets through the letterbox telling us exactly what needs to go where in terms of green rubbish, plastics, type of plastic, paper e.t.c It includes a six month calendar highlighting the pick up days for different materials. They usually pick up green waste and all recycling on Monday, then landfill rubbish the following Monday. We manage to recycle so much, that the black bin for landfill is barely quarter full usually.

You can also use their mobile message service that will let you know when the pick up day is changed e.g. for Christmas or bank holidays. I don't know who runs the department within the council for recycling and amenities, but they're doing a great job around here.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 14:25
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Tooslow
We have a green coloured bin for general waste, a brown coloured bin for garden waste a red box for plastic containers and a green bag for bottles and paper. The calendar shows (and I may get this wrong but you get the idea) red bin days and green bin days. The green bin goes out on red bin days, the brown bin and all of it's little friends go out on green bin days. I think.
John
We thankfully have very little. Green low box for recycling and green bag for paper, end of.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Ted
>> >>do they
>> >> think we're all psychic (???) round here ?
>>
>> Don't you get any information?

We've been Tuesday since it started...I rang the dept and they said we'd probably not been sent the new calendars....one arrived 3 days later.

Ted
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Alastairw
In theory my area has a very similar system to Zero's, with 3 wheelies and a little bin for food waster to be composted - however, as I live in a flat I can't have the bins so still get to use bags, and do my own recycling when I go to the supermarket.
I got hacked off with the mini-wheelie for the kitchen waste - flung into its big brother and forgot about it until the day the bin-men came....and remembered just as the contents went into the truck....whoops.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - DP
>> I managed to
>> catch the van and the operator told us our day had been changed !........do they
>> think we're all psychic (???) round here ?

We get a sticker on both wheely bins at the start of the financial year with all collection dates for the year, including the changes.

No complaints with the bin men themselves who have always been a cheerful and helpful bunch on the odd occasion we've had a bit extra to take. That said, I did have an interesting conversation with their bosses at Hart DC, when they moved to the current alternate weekly collection of recycling and general rubbish. Despite the fact they'd historically emptied both bins weekly, they would absolutely not see, or admit this was a service cut, and predictably were not at all obliging when I asked for a corresponding reduction in my council tax bill. ;-)
Last edited by: DP on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 11:10
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - rtj70
>> Don't you have wheelybins?... Great things, we have two

We have four now! And general refuse (black bin) is every two weeks. Green bin (which now can take food waste) is weekly. And the cardboard/paper (blue?) and glass/plastic (brown?) bins are every x number of weeks.

If you leave a bin bag next to the black bin then they won't take it.

But I have to say we are doing well and I sort of agree with it. Luckily we can have all four bins out of site and near for use with the layout of the house/garden/drive. We must be fortunate in that respect.

Edit: we also have a small composting food waste bin... again it works out there is a space for it in the new house out of the way! Our old house would struggle and that was half the size again.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 23:15
There does seem to be two approaches to the recycling issue, doesn't there! One seems to be as many bins/boxes as possible and the other is just the two, and then a sorting plant for the green section... I'm only glad that my lot have chosen the latter!

BTW Iffy, did you find out the collection dates?! ;-)
...BTW Iffy, did you find out the collection dates?! ;...

Nag, nag, nag. :)

Not checked yet, but they will be on the council's website as you say.

I know the next day will be Thursday, but what I don't know is if that's a green bin-only day or a green and blue bin day.

I'm also not too concerned because I don't tend to produce much rubbish, and what I do is split between here and the caravan.

It wouldn't be much of a problem if I didn't get a bin emptied at Iffy Towers until the New Year.

My point about confusion applied to my neighbours as much as myself.

Most people around here seem to have given up on bin collection rotas before they even started, or more likely could not be bothered to read the paperwork which came with the new bin.

:-)

I do admit that if I'm late putting it out that I check everyone else's to see what colour it should be... my neighbours seem to have it sussed though, I've not seen any differences yet!
Bins around here go out into the back lane from the back yard, which is handy.

Trouble is they are out of sight in the lane and we do have problems with kids kicking them over, not helped by residents who insist on putting their bin out the night before.

>>Not helped by residents who insist on putting their bins out the night before.
>>
There's a lot of Iffy folk about my friend...:))
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Crankcase
>>not helped by residents who insist on putting their bin
>> out the night before.

Round our way the bins have to be at the end of the drive by 7am or you miss the pick up (and you really do miss it), so we also get plenty going out the night before, as well as thundery rolling noises from 6:30am onwards.

I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - rtj70
Our council says you're allowed to put the bins out from 7pm the night before. Ours also start being collected at around 7am. And if you miss the fortnightly black wheelie bin collection it's then another two weeks before they come for it again.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - madf
>> >>not helped by residents who insist on putting their bin
>> >> out the night before.
>>
>> Round our way the bins have to be at the end of the drive by
>> 7am or you miss the pick up (and you really do miss it), so we
>> also get plenty going out the night before, as well as thundery rolling noises from
>> 6:30am onwards.
>>
>>

Same here...
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - Old Navy
It is standard practace here to put the wheelie bins out the night before. Our bin men keep us on our toes by reversing their route frequently.
 I dont beelieve it! - jobsworth thread - FotheringtonTomas
Bung the extra bags in the back of the car, and drop them off where you see uncollected rubbish.
You have def. been reading my mail......................,but a van full!!!
Latest Forum Posts