Non-motoring > Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 42

Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Runfer D'Hills
Well, it's a hive of activity outside here right now in Nicetown. Fevered attachings of fairy lights to houses, trees and anything static going on as far as the eye can see. The Mock Tudor facades are being draped in mock candles, mock Santas, mock reindeer and fake snow. It's only 48 hours since the real stuff melted but the spray cans are out !

Not to be outdone' I've just strung our tasteless rope of mock illuminated holly berries along the mock wooden beams outside. The Cheshire look is nearly complete. Two mock Japanese SUVs on the drive as well.

Might have to join a golf club in the Spring...

So, are you a softened humbug? Will you, or have you already illuminated or have you the strength of character to defy the tide of tinsel ?

:-)
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Zero
There is a house nearby that every year at this time consumes half the output of the National Grid, Its known locally as "Las Vegas comes to Surrey"
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Ted

I usually put a couple of strings of flashing lights along the gutter of the front bay window.

It's a pain..my step ladders are too short and my short extensions are too long, meaning I have to lean them on the plastic gutter that I'm putting the lights on.
Different tactic this year. There's a fair amount of cable before the lights start so, all being well, I'm just going to chuck them all over the eucalyptus by the gate and power them from the front bedroom, on flashing mode.

They'll probably get nicked...but that bodes well for next Christmas !

Baaaa Humbug

Ted
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Dog
I don't put nuffink outside my house at this time of the year,
except the trash on Tuesday, which just about sums my feelings Re: The Festive Season.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Tooslow
Sounds like you're looking forward to the in-laws arriving just as much as I am. Oh joy!

John
>>Sounds like you're looking forward to the in-laws arriving just as much as I am. Oh joy<<

Nay John - only one left now, and he's 88 & housebound ... had enough of it in the past though, the critters even found their way out to Tenerife @ Xmas, believe it or not!

Neighbs have done their houses up I noticed when I took Mutley out earlier - all looks nice :)
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - R.P.
Live in "bay windowed area" then Ted ?
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Ted

'Fraid so ,Puggers.
Handy for a bit of late night curtain twitching....you can see more from a bay !

Ted
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Robin O'Reliant
I hang a freshly slaughtered goats head from the porch door and a couple of black candles glowing inside the window.

It keeps the carol singers away.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Old Navy
Anyone suggesting hanging tacky crap on our house would have to contend with the wrath of the OH. For once I agree with her. :-)

There will be more than enough of it inside.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 12:31
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - -
Nothing outside or inside either...neither of us can be bothered with it.

>> Nothing outside or inside either...neither of us can be bothered with it.

No blue lights round the window?
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - FocalPoint
"Anyone suggesting hanging tacky crap on our house would have to contend with the wrath of the OH. For once I agree with her. :-)

There will be more than enough of it inside."

- The tacky crap or OH's wrath?
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Old Navy
>> - The tacky crap or OH's wrath?
>>

The tacky crap, or both if I don't behave, she seems to think I am house trained. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 14 Dec 10 at 16:45
>> I hang a freshly slaughtered goats head from the porch door and a couple of
>> black candles glowing inside the window.

Hang a claret and blue scarf from it as well. We are going down big time.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Hang a claret and blue scarf from it as well. We are going down big
>> time.
>>
Looks like it.

A spell in the Championship would normally be a pleasure, winning more than we lose and being forever in the top half, but with the club's financial situation this time it might be a permanent drop.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - teabelly
The bad taste lighting brigade live near me. Vile santas, lights, reindeer and all sorts of illuminated crap cover their houses. It's even worse on the council estates. Nearly managed to mow down a rotary club member off their dreadful truck that comes round blaring out dreadful music and parking across the driveway. So annoyed I missed him. Was nicely foggy too so could have got away with bunging him in the boot unseen. Sigh.

Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Bromptonaut
Unusually we're the only house in the road 'displaying' so far; discreet blue twinklies under the gutters. The usual suspects elsewhere have their cycling etc Santas out.

Suspect my neighbours will follow next weekend with usual icicles etc but we're away then for Miss B's 18th.

But the £7.50 Norway Spruce today was a bargain; Nordmann Firs of the same height were £25+. It'll go up on the 16th and be down before we leave for new year, 'it can only drop so many needles in 10 days.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 21:37
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - CGNorwich
Very upmarket estate near me. Normally the houses are decorated in a oh so tasteful way using only white lights in the trees. Noticed last night that one of the houses now sports an enormous illuminated Santa on the garage roof and a multi-coloured reindeer and elves on the front lawn.

It really made me laugh
>>Suspect my neighbours will follow next weekend with usual icicles etc<<

Yeah - real ones, apparently :(
If you are going to do lights, you need to be very stylish and discrete, or go wildly over the top.

However i am reminded of

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJW3Jpqjx5s

Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - devonite
being Paganish in my beliefs, Devonite Hovel will feature a single bunch of Mistletoe strung above my armchair! (just in case "She" brings any "Mates" home";-) )

Outside lights etc can stay in "Tacky Avenue" as we have named the next street to us!

I celebrate Yule (21st-22nd Dec) with a few pints int pub with me feet in front of ye olde Yule log fire, playing cards with my like-minded peasant pals, There may be Bar Humbugs, but usually Peanuts.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Pat
Talking of new Years Resolutions....

How about we all live and let live?

Pat
Nawt here yet - a neighbour over the road had some stuff last year as he has a young family, but he's currently in hospital with pneumonia - so their minds are focussed on other things. minor interior decor here probably after the 16th..
Last edited by: Pugugly on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 08:51
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Hard Cheese

We have a tasteful string of white lights across our double garage, actually I didnt take them down last year so all I had to do was plug them in, tweak a few bulbs and set the timer to 7:00 - 8:00 and 16:30 - 23:00 ... done!

Bought a Christmas tree on Saturday, must be around 6'6", nearly 40 quid!!! Plus we needed a new base, another tenner, does help with getting into the seasonal spirit though ... ... ... hic ...

Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - FotheringtonTomas
Decorations should go up on Christmas eve. Shops put them up earlier. I have none up yet, although in deference to The Boy, I will probably put them up at the weekend.
Such warmth of festive spirit shown in this thread.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - FotheringtonTomas
Christmas starts on the Eve, and ends on twelfth night. It does not run from sometime in November until Boxing Day.
Yes Sir!

All those expecting fun take one step forward. STAND STILL!

>>Decorations should go up on Christmas eve>>

There is nowt wrong with thejm going up from the beginning of advent. Actually our garage lights went on a few hours early, the evening of the 31st Nov.

Interior decos usually about a week or ten days before though we put a tree up last Saturday, two weeks before and earlier than usual.

Yes, shops are much to early in this regard.

I think shops have been a bit slower in putting up decs and getting Slade on the Tannoy than in previous years. Just my perception. Maybe they're responding to the annual "they shouldn't start in August" moan that the papers publish every year?
John
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Mapmaker
>>There is nowt wrong with thejm going up from the beginning of advent. Actually our
>>garage lights went on a few hours early, the evening of the 31st Nov.

Advent, this year, started on Saturday 27th November.

There is everything wrong with Christmas decorations' going up during Advent. Advent is a time of preparation and penitence, not a time of celebration.

Keep your Christmas decorations locked away until Christmas eve, and take them down at the end of Christmas on 2 February.

February ?? !
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Mapmaker
>> February ?? !
>>

Same as last year...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81500&v=t&m=949707

>>
>> Advent, this year, started on Saturday 27th November.
>>

Of course Advent Sunday was the 28th.

>> There is everything wrong with Christmas decorations' going up during Advent. Advent is a time of preparation and penitence, not a time of celebration.
>>

Exactly, preparation.

Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - legacylad
This year I am sending 3 cards. Mother. aunt & swmbo. No xmas decs either. I was looking forward to this Friday off work, and attending a Xmas lunch, but am now working, so my next day off is the 25th. Blessed relief.
A few years ago I was skiing in the Chamonix valley the week before Xmas, and as we drove down the valley to Geneva at 6am on the morning of the 24th I thought that the brilliant white lights suspended in the trees in the tiny villages looked amazing.
Almost everything else is just tat.

>> There is everything wrong with Christmas decorations' going up during Advent. Advent is a time
>> of preparation and penitence, not a time of celebration.

I have no need to prepare to be penitent, I have done nothing wrong.

Therefore I shall stick the lights up when I damn well please.
I mis-read that. I thought it said "where".
John
and that.
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Perky Penguin
Last year I was working over Xmas, in my horsepiddle. As the only man on duty I was forced to dress up as Father Christmas and go round the geriatriac ward (our only one BTW) and kiss everybody, excepting the men, but including the ladies - even the ones with their teeth in glasses on their bed side lockers!

This year I have a Santa hat to wear which says "BAH HUMBUG" on it plus a t shirt which is embalazoned "Chaos and Confusion, Death and Destruction - My Work Here is Done" I don't give a flying pfd what the management think - they have already sacked me and I finish on 19th Dec. The joy is endless!
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Dec 10 at 20:29
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - henry k
>>....they have already sacked me and I finish on 19th Dec. The joy is endless!
>>
Did you forget to give the boss peck last year?

Time to update your profile ?
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - Perky Penguin
My boss doesn't do pecking - she has a civil partner, I think. Profile already up to date!
 Softened Humbugs ? To light or not to light...? - -
Those who ridicule believers surely won't be putting up lights will they.
Latest Forum Posts