Non-motoring > Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 5

Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning - Skoda
Apologies to those who've seen this already -

1.bp.blogspot.com/_LJuAPqyUVas/TQLMXzuhwkI/AAAAAAAAADo/T6QtHrtlhfI/s1600/Easteregg_2.jpg

The answer is already published on the web and the prize has been claimed (a free Google cr48 netbook with the new Chrome OS). So it's just for fun.

I had good fun doing this but ultimately got the wrong answer for X :-( See if you can do better :-)

EDIT: Prize can be a gander at the video it came from, pretty good! www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-Vnx58UYo
Last edited by: Skoda on Sun 12 Dec 10 at 13:53
 Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning - L'escargot
Are the dots the latest way of meaning multiplication, or the traditional way of signifying a decimal point? If it's the former, no wonder today's generation of children have such trouble learning mathematics.
 Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning - Iffy
...Are the dots the latest way of meaning multiplication...

I recall a dot meaning 'multiply by' when I was at school in the 1970s.

We didn't tend to use the decimal point much in those days, so I suppose there was less chance of confusion.
 Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning - L'escargot
>> ...Are the dots the latest way of meaning multiplication...
>>
>> I recall a dot meaning 'multiply by' when I was at school in the 1970s.
>>
>> We didn't tend to use the decimal point much in those days, so I suppose
>> there was less chance of confusion.
>>

1.bp.blogspot.com/_LJuAPqyUVas/TQLMXzuhwkI/AAAAAAAAADo/T6QtHrtlhfI/s1600/Easteregg_2.jpg

The dots I'm referring to are at mid-height between letters, thus ~ C·H·R·O·M (See bottom line of formula on the blackboard.)
I can't see how you can have decimal points between letters.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 07:47
 Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning - Iffy
...The dots I'm referring to are at mid-height between letters...

Looking at the pic, there are other mid-height dots in the, er, equation, which I take to mean 'multiply by'.

Maybe the Amercian 'multiply by' dot is mid-height.

Cool wee teaser for a Sunday morning - Skoda
Yeah · is straight multiply in the case where there's only one number to the left and one number to the right, as in this example.
Latest Forum Posts