Non-motoring > Push-button toilet cistern Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 4

Push-button toilet cistern - L'escargot
After our push-button toilet cistern has been used the flow stops abruptly when it has finished filling up. Is this customary/normal?
The reason I ask is that it produces water hammer and noise from the pipes which I understand can lead to failure of joints in the pipework.
 Push-button toilet cistern - Zero
No its not normal, nor desirable. Unlikely to cause your pipework joints to fail tho.

Is it mains fed, or gravity fed from the storage tank in the loft?

Once that is answered, do you have the right sized restrictor in there for your configuration.
 Push-button toilet cistern - Dave_
It depends on the make of the drop valve, but yes they do shut off fairly abruptly.

You could try turning the service valve down a bit (the in-line 1/4 turn screwdriver valve near the cistern) to restrict the incoming flow. This would mean the cistern takes longer to fill of course, but would mean less likelihood of a "thump" travelling back up the pipes.
 Push-button toilet cistern - bathtub tom
I'd suggest you've got a Torbeck valve (or similar). It's how they work.

Try Googling it for solutions.
 Push-button toilet cistern - AnotherJohnH
on the subject of torbeck valves, I replaced an original valve with a torbeck, and it hammered like a hammering thing.

Fortunately I came across a discussion on one of the DIY boards. It seems torbeck know about the problem and have modified their design, but were still selling off the old stock which doesn't cause problems for everyone.

I rang them up and by the time I'd described what I'd bought and from where, and the problem, they were ready to send out a replacement FOC which didn't hammer.

(the thing I got was the cheapest at screwfix..)
Latest Forum Posts