Non-motoring > Non electric temporary heating Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 9

Non electric temporary heating - BobbyG
One of my shops has been flooded in the basement due to burst pipes. To cut a long story short, we only have a couple of electric oil filled radiators down there and they are useless - we used to have standard stand alone calor gas heaters but H&S deemed these to be unsafe due to naked flame etc. Since we removed these, pipes have burst twice.
However the shops electric system will not accomodate too much load for new heaters (we run fan heaters in the shop and overnight storage heaters.)

Therefore looking for recommendations for freestanding heating, I am assuming that it will need to be fuelled by Calor Gas. Requirements would be

1. To give out good heat when staff are working aside them (but no naked flames as such that will upset H&S)
2. If possible, safe enough to be left on overnight when shop is unattended to keep some heat in the building (and pipes).
3. The shop is rented and there is only one more year left on the lease and we won't be renewing so do not want to incur huge bills

Any thoughts?
 Non electric temporary heating - RattleandSmoke
I think the biggest problem H&S have with portable gas heaters is carbon monoxide.
 Non electric temporary heating - BiggerBadderDave
Could you not light a small fire in a waste paper basket?

Use plenty of paper and be liberal with lighter fuel.
 Non electric temporary heating - Iffy
Isn't any Calor appliance a naked flame, strictly speaking?

I have a roll around heater which has a burner like in a gas grill or oven - definitely a naked flame.

There are those which heat a white ceramic block - not so definitely a naked flame.

I don't think either would run low enough to be left on overnight.

This sounds like a job for a paraffin heater, of the type used in greenhouses.

They are designed to run unattended for many hours to provide background heat.

Tipping shouldn't be a hazard because the place is empty overnight.

You need to keep an eye on ventilation, but there's probably plenty of that in what sounds like a knackered old building.

Non electric temporary heating - bathtub tom
How about a catalytic heater?

They still give off carbon monoxide and water vapour, but no naked flame (as such). I experienced one in a boat and it seemed very efficient.
 Non electric temporary heating - Dog
Have a look at these ~ www.flogas.co.uk/buy-online/portable-heaters/
 Non electric temporary heating - Mapmaker
Use electricity, but use it wisely. Ridiculous to try to use heaters like that - very expensive and inefficient. Put trace heating against the pipes, and then lag them.

www.heat-trace.co.uk/Home

www.heat-trace.co.uk/Applications/CommercialResidential_Applications

Non electric temporary heating - Dave_
Not to mention the fact that Calor gas is heavier than air... not what you want in a basement. :(
 Non electric temporary heating - FotheringtonTomas
For the pipes: bit.ly/igb9TX

For heating: www.mitsubishiheatpumps.co.uk/

HTH.
 Non electric temporary heating - Ted

I have a Calor heater in the workshop. The caravan stands outside so I've always got the bottles. I use one of those little gas heaters that use an aerosol sized cylinder on the bench to keep my pinkies warm...it's very good but the cans don't last a long time. It's not unknown for me to put the paint stripper gun lightly in the vice and aim it where I'm working.

So there's the answer Bobby...a couple of dozen of those plugged in and dotted around the crypt should be ok.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts