Non-motoring > Storage of Rock Salt. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 60

Storage of Rock Salt. - R.P.
Bought a couple of bags (guilt ridden after pinching a couple of bucket fulls from a council box) any ideas on storage - the slightly illogical conclusion is that I wouldn't want to store this in the garage alongside my beloved bikes - so currently stashed under the central heating oil storage tank.

Are they risk to my bikes in the garage or am I mad ?
 Storage of Rock Salt. - rtj70
Council grit box? :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 13 Dec 10 at 17:50
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Iffy
...Council grit box? :-)...

Might be too heavy to lift. :)
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Skoda
Mine from last year appears to have "gone off", is that even possible? It's clearly not effective but it was great last winter.
 Storage of Rock Salt. - FotheringtonTomas
Not unless there's very, very little of it left (the salt having dissolved and run away, the impurities being left behind).
...Mine from last year appears to have "gone off", is that even possible? It's clearly not effective but it was great last winter...

Could it have been too cold when you tried it?

You've had some fierce cold weather in Scotland.

My salt has been in a small bin in the back yard for three or four years and still works as it should.

Can't see it going off in a year when it survives OK in the ground for several millions of years.
>> You've had some fierce cold weather in Scotland.

Aye that crossed my mind, my external thermometer's on the blink so i don't know how cold it was. The cat wont go out below -6 and he was heading for the back door at the time...
 Storage of Rock Salt. - CGNorwich
Salt does not "go off but it is hygroscopic to a degree and will therefore absorb water from the atmosphere and tend to cake.

Best kept in a sealed plastic bag where it will last forever
>> but it is hygroscopic to a degree

There's a real possibility it's been absorbing moisture all year, i do try to make the shed waterproof and it's stored in an old plastic flip top bin, but you know how it is in gie dreich, i mean bonnie Scotland.

Boo :thumbdown:

Keep it under cover where it won't get rain in it, and where it can drain, just in case (but don't let it drain into your flower beds!). Under the oil tank sounds a good place if it won't get wet. I wouldn't keep it in the garage, either.

The last time I looked in a council salt bin, it was full of squished empty plastic bottles and general waste, and the salt was almost entirely in solution.
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Zero

>> stashed under the central heating oil storage tank.

Its probably chewing away at the tank supports as we speak.
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Tooslow
True but the resulting conflagration will clear any ice.

John
Breeze block and paving slabs....not steel in sight...!

:-0 that's given me something else to worry about now...
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Runfer D'Hills
You'll be putting up little trellis fences soon. Goes with the territory, mark my words...
It ha occurred to me.
Did the Tudors do little trellis fences?
...Did the Tudors do little trellis fences?...

No, but the mock-Tudors did mock little trellis fences.

Did you know the Tudors originated on Anglesey - there was a cracking little programme about them on the Welsh telly !
Ah that explains it, Welsh eh ?...thought there was something not quite right about them...Pointy hat wearing, vowel averse seaweed eaters, not to be trusted.

:-)
>> Ah that explains it, Welsh eh ?...thought there was something not quite right about them...Pointy
>> hat wearing, vowel averse seaweed eaters, not to be trusted.

Look You.
...there was a cracking little programme about them on the Welsh telly !...

Is that the black and white half-timbered beam telly?

Storage of Rock Salt. - Cliff Pope
I think it has a shelf life of about 10 million years if stored underground. Always read the label.
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Hard Cheese

>>currently stashed under the central heating oil storage tank.>>

You really dont want to encourage that to corrode.

...You really dont want to encourage that to corrode...

I'm not sure whether to take the OP - and some of the replies - seriously on this one.

A bag of rock salt presents no corrosion threat to any piece metal further than an inch from it.

If the bag is sealed, it presents no threat at all.

I am serious - it's a motorcyclists' built in aversion to salty products anywhere near his bike - the garage is heated (which may or may not be a bad thing) the tank is plastic by the way !

The bags are sort of sealed but you "know" that they'll probably have small punctures in them. Genuine question.
...genuine question...

I guessed it was.

You could put the bags into a heavy duty plastic rubble or garden refuse sack, just to be on the safe side.

I have considered that and will probably be my final solution - still - it's not right !
...I have considered that and will probably be my final solution - still - it's not right !...

Sometimes in life a man has to make a brave decision.

You can do it, I know you can.

>> A bag of rock salt presents no corrosion threat to any piece metal further than
>> an inch from it.

I have seen salt migrate from a bag by up to 6 inches.
...I have seen salt migrate from a bag by up to 6 inches...

Don't tell him that, we'll be back to square one.

Storage of Rock Salt. - Dog
Back in the dog days (Summer) we had a fred about toasters.

I bought a nice new one in chrome and cream.

The chrome is showing signs of corrosion AND I've just put 2 & 2 2gether ...

I use dead sea salt - in a salt cellar ... 6" from the holy ghoster!
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Netsur
"I use dead sea salt "

That's right - blame the Israelis for everything why don't you - (joke!)
>>That's right - blame the Israelis for everything why don't you<<

I was going to allude to it as being Kosher, but I never realised you can actually buy Kosher Salt :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kosher_Salt.JPG
You know I think we should have a thread going with detailed explanations of the Jewish religion. We could keep it going for years.

Kosher Salt. Yes. All kosher meat is salted to remove blood. We are forbidden to eat blood. technically if you bite your lip and whilst eating an apple and the blood gets on the apple, you should rinse the apple before taking another bite. Kosher Salt is of a certain coarseness different from table, sea or rock salt I think.

You can also buy table salt that happens to be Kosher - as per the Wikipedia photo.
Last edited by: Espada III on Tue 14 Dec 10 at 14:03
>>All kosher meat is salted to remove blood<<

Does that mean you couldn't eat 'rare' cooked meat, which is often bloody? (yuk!)

I use Dead Sea / Celtic / even Cornish sea salt because it is un-processed and retains essential minerals.

Some people bathe in it, I hear, for its health-giving properties.

Bluddie is a swear word :)
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 13:45
Does that mean you couldn't eat 'rare' cooked meat, which is often bloody?

Correct. Steak Tartar does not occur in the Kosher kitchen.

We eat rare meat, because by the time the meat gets to the kitchen it is deemed to have had sufficient blood removed that even moderate cooking will drive out the rest.

I have been to the Dead Sea a couple of times. It is very hot (40C air temp) and you float very easily - so easily that it can be hard to get back onto your feet. The water is very oily as it contains so many minerals and salt. Odd place. Not sure I see the attraction other than in the middle of nowhere so quite peaceful if you can find the right place to sit.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 13:44
>> That sounds like bliss to me & I would love to spend Nov ~ March there :)

A question ... which I would fully understand if you did not want to answer -

If The Old Testament states (Leviticus 7:26) Ye shall eat no manner of blood, and you keep to that rule - religiously ... how come many Jews ignore the 13th Commandment - You shall not kill/murder.
If The Old Testament states (Leviticus 7:26) Ye shall eat no manner of blood, and you keep to that rule - religiously ... how come many Jews ignore the 13th Commandment - You shall not kill/murder.

1. Sixth commandment not 13th surely?

2. Let him who is without sin .................Many people have been murdered in the name of religion - I am not sure if Jews have killed in the same way. Do not conflate Jews with Israelis.

3. Killing is legal in Jewish laws within certain defined parameters. The death penalty existed in Temple times for transgressions of religious laws so there is a difference between killing and murder. Killing someone in self defence is permitted - again within defined parameters.

4. Not all Jews (whether outwardly observant or not) keep all the rules.

5. Of course you are making a political point which I shall avoid fuelling.
Thanks for your reply Espada - I meant Exodus 20:13

:)
...You can also buy table salt that happens to be Kosher - as per the Wikipedia photo...

Kosher bacon anybody?

chowhound.chow.com/topics/459888
>> You know I think we should have a thread going with detailed explanations of the
>> Jewish religion. We could keep it going for years.

No thank you. I cant take anything seriously that bans the bacon buttie.
Funny

Kosher is so ingrained in me that I simple cannot conceive of eating anything from the pig or a shellfish.

The smell of the food at a football game makes my stomach turn.
So you cant eat Moules either?

I cant comprehend how any rule can tell me what I can and cant eat.
Fish on Fridays?
Moslem don't eat pig.
Hindus and Bhuddists don't eat meat.

It's a matter of self control and belief that eating those things are wrong. I don't even think about it. They are just things I don't eat. Like mangos - yeuch!
>> Fish on Fridays?
>> Moslem don't eat pig.
>> Hindus and Bhuddists don't eat meat.

All equally incomprehensible. For religious reasons?

Storage of Rock Salt. - Suppose
>> Hindus and Bhuddists don't eat meat.
>>

The Myth of the Holy Cow - D. N. Jha
challenges obscurantist views on the sanctity of the cow in Hindu tradition and culture. Dwijendra Narayan Jha, a leading Indian historian, argues that beef played an important part in the cuisine of ancient India, long before the birth of Islam. It was very much a feature of the approved Brahmanical and Buddhist diet. The evidence he produces from a variety of religious and secular texts is compelling.
 Storage of Rock Salt. - CGNorwich
"The smell of the food at a football game makes my stomach turn"

Nothing to do with being Jewish!
Difficult to get plastic to rust. Plastic of steel? Also, it's under, not "on top of"!
I've decided in the interest of curiosity to conduct an experiment - a steel screw will be placed on the bag and one a foot or so away - another screw will be left some distance away as a control and we'll see what happens !
 Storage of Rock Salt. - madf
Until last winter I had a half opened bag of salt left in our (damp in winter,dry in summer) garage. No special closing of top- just folded down.

Perfectly good and dry when used...My new bag this year will not last as long judging by the forecast (the prior one lasted 10 years or so).

I blame global warming.
Strikes me that life in general must become so much more of a worry when retired. All these key things to fret about.....

:-)

He's waiting for Countdown to start.
John
Eggheads later too. Got to keep the grey matter functioning. Busy busy busy...
It's a dirty job but some-one has to do it.
John
It was never the same when they got rid of Carol Vorderman. Then I found an on-line Countdown answer generator. That had Nicole convinced I was a genius for a while....
...It was never the same when they got rid of Carol Vorderman...

The new lass has her supporters:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOp8BwDFiSc

Also a slightly creepy fans' forum:

www.rachelriley.org/news-and-gossip-f4.html
I have a Countdown YouTube clip somewhere - My little fairy stick would be snapped in half if I posted it though....very rude
While I was conducting my in-depth research, I discovered one video had been removed by YouTube.

That fans' site must be a breeding ground for stalkers.

Dunno if Ms Riley reads any of it, don't think I would in her shoes.

Storage of Rock Salt. - VxFan
PU, haven't you got a cellar to keep it in. That's where most people keep their salt ;o)

I'll get me caot.
 Storage of Rock Salt. - John H
>> He's waiting for Countdown to start.
>> John
>>

And this was the question that came up:
newslite.tv/2010/12/15/largebaps-conundrum-for-countd.html
Last edited by: John H on Wed 15 Dec 10 at 15:14
 Storage of Rock Salt. - Cliff Pope
>> I've decided in the interest of curiosity to conduct an experiment -
>>
>>

Boredom is the problem when conducting these long-term experiments. You could try watching paint dry to keep your mind active.
Latest Forum Posts