Non-motoring > Van & man quote. Green diesel ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 7

Van & man quote. Green diesel ? - henry k
Getting quotes for man & van to move stuff 50 miles from Kingston are to Oxford

One quote included
"plus a biodiesel cost of £42 as we would be travelling outside the M25"

I assume this is a charge for the extra mileage, no problem with that but "biodiesel." ?
Is that to appeal to the green lobby ?
 Van & man quote. Green diesel ? - Perky Penguin
Hire a van yourself and a bit of cash in hand to a strong teenager should do the biz!
Last edited by: Perky Penguin (p) on Tue 14 Dec 10 at 20:07
>> Hire a van yourself and a bit of cash in hand to a strong teenager should do the biz!
>>
I had thought about it but not for long.
I am not going to risk my back and my knees will not take the stairs more than a couple of times.
Last time a van cost me IIRC 70+.
Two and a bit floors up a Victorian villa and 100+ small crates and bits to get down all boxed ( but no furniture). It would need two lads. Then a 120mile total trip but unloading is easy.
For a man, his mate and a van the lowest quote to date is £240 with others similar except for removal companies e.g £820 reduced to £575.
I guess the job would take about six hours if no traffic
Daughter can pay for it and I can keep smiling :-)
 Van & man quote. Green diesel ? - rtj70
If you hire a van it will have to be taken back - or an added fee paid and use of a larger national company.

I'd go for the man plus van. Just shop around a bit more.
 Van & man quote. Green diesel ? - Enoughalready
How about looking in the Oxford area to find a man with a van? You won't have the 'outside the M25' issue then.

tinyurl.com/2cq7zec
 Van & man quote. Green diesel ? - Mapmaker
www.shiply.com

My complete guess is you'll get it down towards £150.
Thanks for those good links. I have passed them on.

It would be also nice to grab a last minute deal but ..
It is a flat in controlled parking area so in a normal move, a visit in person to the council to get agreement to post "suspended parking for removals" signs & cones. This process takes a few days to implement and allow parkers to move / park elsewhere.
The alternative is to carry / wheel boxes up to an extra 50 yards each load.
 Van & man quote. Green diesel ? - Mapmaker
Shiply's not a last minute deal. It's a place where increasingly desperate van drivers undercut each other, driving down their margins.
Latest Forum Posts