Non-motoring > Antics of Media Photographers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Perky Penguin Replies: 16

Antics of Media Photographers - Perky Penguin
I have just been watching the press pack trying to take photographs of Mr Wiki in his prison van entering the Old Bailey. What sort of photo do they think they will get thru a smoked glass window 8 feet above the ground and why do we need pictures of Mr Wiki anyway? He has been all over the newspapers and TV for weeks so we already know exactly what he looks like! What is going on?
 Antics of Media Photographers - Tooslow
The flashes they use will get through that and, with the sensor cranked up to a high ISO, they'll get a shot.

Why is another question.
John
 Antics of Media Photographers - R.P.
There is a "van" shot on the BBC news website as we speak.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11989216

I find it quite amusing and worth the shot.
 Antics of Media Photographers - Zero
Many a picture of a prisoner in the van has been published using that method.
 Antics of Media Photographers - John H
>> do we need pictures of Mr Wiki anyway? He has been all over the newspapers
>> and TV for weeks so we already know exactly what he looks like! What is
>> going on?
>>

Same question can be asked of many antics of the Press and TV at many other events.
I just do not see why when 24 hours TV news are reporting that Mr Wiki is being held in prison, the TV reporter has to stand outside the prison gate every hour to keep reporting the same fact.

Same with reports from outside no.10, the Old Bailey, or what have you.
Foreign reports which could be sourced from Reuters or AP won't do, the BBC has to have a BBC reporter there. The trapped Chile miners had a BBC 24 hour shift of top reporters covering the event for many weeks.
 Antics of Media Photographers - AnotherJohnH
the trouble is they only get paid good money for unique results.

As a consequence some take silly/badly considered/unreasonable risks, and a few die.

www.cpj.org/
They've just shown that BBC image on the lunchtime news, very striking - it was worth it in my opinion.
 Antics of Media Photographers - Mike Hannon
I know I'm well out of the trade and years out of date, but isn't taking pictures in the precincts of the court a no-no?
It was in the street through the windows of the meat wagon.
 Antics of Media Photographers - Bromptonaut
Taking a camera into the court is a no no. It seems however to be accepted that photographs can be taken from the highway of activity outside the building but within the court grounds.

There is presently a regular cluster at the Bell Yard/Carey St end of the Royal Courts of Justice. Probably watching comings & goings for the 7 July inquest which is being held in that part of the building.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 14:54
 Antics of Media Photographers - Armel Coussine
Funny
things, photos.

In my long-ago hacking days I was once in a good-natured lynch mob - I
don't think they really wanted to lynch the guy, just to scare him -
many of whose members were armed, surrounding a captured Libyan pilot
who was being led out of a government building after being displayed to
the media. Having missed that bit, I was dancing along sideways in the
jostling, yelling crowd trying to get a shot of the guy in his orange
jump suit. Took a couple of frames before his guards tipped him into the
back of a Peugeot 404 pickup and piled in after him, one left hanging
by his knees over the tailboard as the driver took off at a dangerous
speed through the trampling mob.

When the photos were developed it took me ages to find those two. The
reason was that they both showed a bloke in an orange jump suit, looking
serene, against a blue sky, without a single other person in the shot.
Looked like an academic out for his evening walk.
Have you still got access to them ?
 Antics of Media Photographers - Armel Coussine
Got them somewhere PU, and a lot of others a few of which are good. No way of posting them though even when I can lay hands on them, which won't be all that soon.
 Antics of Media Photographers - Zero
This stuff shouldn't be lost AC, Get it digitised or donated or something.
 Antics of Media Photographers - Iffy
...It seems however to be accepted that photographs can be taken from the highway of activity outside the building but within the court grounds...

Taking of photographs banned within 'court precincts', which vary from building to building.

The precinct at some courts ends just outside the front door, or it might be at the bottom of the steps, or some other natural dividing point a few metres from the door.

Ban applies all the time, and it matters not if the court is sitting or if there are people in the shot or not.

Ban applies inside the building and also to making sketches.

The artists who do the impressions of the proceedings used by the media have to take notes in court and do the actual drawing elsewhere.

Strictly, the artist should be outside the court precinct, but some courts allow the artist to sketch 'out of sight' in the press room, on the understanding the drawing will be covered when they carry it out of the building.

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 16 Dec 10 at 18:57
 Antics of Media Photographers - Leif
You forget the picture of what's her face who was photographed inside a car with Prince Charles when the car was attacked by a mob. The photo went all round the world and earned a nice wodge for the photographer's employer. Had he been freelance, he would have trousered the wodge. It's no surprise they act like a frenzied mob.
I don't blame them - I have a relation on a Photo-Journalism degree course - I really hope he makes it.......
Latest Forum Posts