Non-motoring > Dig 1940 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 6

Dig 1940 - R.P.
Beautifully crafted BBC documentary shunted away into the nether reasons of the schedules. Some very interesting stuff about the Maginot Line. Worth half an hour of your time.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wt8ys/Dig_1940_Battle_of_France_and_Dunkirk/
 Dig 1940 - Bigtee
Shame on the BBC for making this only 30 mins now 90 mins and 3x programmes would have been better.

When i find the link to other digs they have done i'll post it up here for others to see.
 Dig 1940 - Bigtee
www.redkitebooks.co.uk/aa/ex10_Dig1940_Ju87.html

Click on excavations and look at all them.
 Dig 1940 - R.P.
Oh thanks for that - some interesting looking stuff there...
 Dig 1940 - Ted

I saw they were putting out the short GPO film, Night Mail, on SkyArts2 the other night so i put it on the +box and I've just put it on DVD for a young enthusiast pal. Ii already had it on Video.

Stupidly, I didn't look at the next programme sheduled and missed it, ending up with a tempting few minutes on the end of Night Mail.

Same GPO film unit and staff, a really interesting look at the road side of mail delivery in 1934. Lots and lots of lorries and cars, buses and motorbikes. Have to keep my brain in gear for next time it comes on....unless anybody captured it and is willing to let me have a DVD.

I went to the Maginot line at Ville le Ferte on one of our bike trips. Eerie place. Huge steel dome knocked off it's mounting and a great scar where an 88 shell had pinged off it. machine guns still in place and a sad little cemetery nearby containing the bodies of the Algerian soldiers and their French officer who had been gassed by the Boche.

Ted

Ted
 Dig 1940 - hobby
It was very good, but as said, too rushed. It could easily have filled an hour... I can just see a village in the UK allowing the road to be blocked and dug up... not!

Ah, Night Mail... love that one (well I would being a bit of an enthusiast!) :-)
 Dig 1940 - R.P.
I was thinking that about the street dig as well, helps I suppose when the mayor is on your side I suppose !
Latest Forum Posts