Non-motoring > Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 35

Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - RattleandSmoke
... this quiet.

tinyurl.com/34s9sn8 link shrunk cos was way toooooo long

Although the flight path seems a bit different as a lot of low flying planes keep going past and that is quite rare as I live a good 8 miles from the airport.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Dec 10 at 00:23
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - Bigtee
Never mind the planes jump on the Trains.......................................
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - Netsur
It does make Manchester look good, but.......

"We have learned a lot from last year in terms of the snow – we’ve invested in new ploughing equipment, grit trucks and extra anti-icer. We are not doing anything dramatically different to Heathrow – but the biggest difference is that we’ve had less snow.

"Heathrow is 100 per cent full, 100 per cent of the time. When they have a busy period like Christmas it only takes an hour of disruption to ripple through – we have the luxury of capacity to allow us to recover more quickly."

I think that tells the story. We had one severe bout of snow on Friday night and that was it. It keeps snowing on Heathrow and Gatwick.
I realise that but they media just keep going on about Gatwick and Heathrow but have failed to mention that the biggest airport outside of London is functioning normally other than a few delays caused by an an extra busy runway,.

Actually that answers my question of why I can't hearing planes go past every few seconds, they must have to use a second flight path for all the extra traffic.

PS I always use trains anyway in Europe as I hate flying. The furthest I have been on a train is Berlin to Manchester Picciddily (not direct!).
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - R.P.
Manchester ain't in Englandshire Rattle that's why !
It seems like that at times :). However I am sure they have got a bit better in recent years and tried to avoid a bias towards reporting news on the national news which only really effects the South East. What I mean by that is spending 15 minutes on a news programme talking say a traffic jam on the M25.
LBA is working good old Yorkshire can count on us.
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - rtj70
>> About three centimetres of snow fell at the airport over the weekend

Wow I wonder how Heathrow would have coped if they had as much as 3cm of snow ;-)
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - Iffy
Rattle,

Manchester airport is a third the size of Heathrow, it is remote, provincial, unimportant.

But more than that, the story is bound to be the airport that is closed, not the ones that are open.

Perhaps you think traffic reports should list all the roads that are open, not the ones that are shut?

Uninmportant? It is still one of the largest airports in the world with 20 million passangers a year.

For all the UK say north of Birmimgham it is the main Airport for them. Plenty of people travel away over 100 miles as Manchester is their nearest international airport.

What the news has done is said that regiotnal airports are also shut to make it look like it is all the airports in the country which are closed which is very clearly not the case.
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - BiggerBadderDave
"Unimportant? It is still one of the largest airports in the world with 20 million passangers a year"

20 million fat, crisp-eating, shell-suited dobbers.
No.

19,999,994 of those

1 Rattle

and

5 Espada's - who are educated, trim, stylish intellectuals...........
Manchester airport is a third the size of Heathrow, it is remote, provincial, unimportant.

A little unfair iffy. It is not remote as it serves the whole Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds corridor (with probably as many people as live in London) with journey times of no more than one hour without traffic.

It is not provincial in that pejorative sense you use it. It has many international carriers (including the Emirates A380 daily) and I think at least seven flights a day to the USA, despite no specific business connections (i.e. The City) to the USA.

It is not unimportant. I refuse to fly via London to anywhere. Far easier, quicker and cheaper to fly direct from Manchester or from Manchester via a European hub.

However the fact that we are incapable of keeping our premier airport open is a little embarrassing and more newsworthy.
I think iffy wrote that in an attempt to reflect the way that the BBC seems to view the rest of the Country...
...I think iffy wrote that in an attempt to reflect the way that the BBC seems to view the rest of the Country...

Not entirely.

I've lived in London and people there just laugh at Northerners when they make remarks such as the OP's.

Nothing wrong with a bit of gloating: "Look at you daft beggars stuck down there while we're still up and running."

But to suggest the "London media" has deliberately ignored what is a non-story is just plain daft.

Consider the following headline:

"A man was shot in Manchester today."

I suppose some would class that as biased southern reporting because the media never mention all the people in Manchester who have not been shot.

Well sorry iffy, but you're just plain wrong then ! :-)
...Well sorry iffy, but you're just plain wrong then ! :-)...

Wouldn't be the first time. :)
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - madf
At least you are consistent........
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - Zero
In the international scheme of things, flight wise, Manchester Airport is a flyspot on the backside of the world.

If the Russians blew it up, apart from diverting round the ash cloud, world and European aviation would barely blink.

Shut down Heathrow, and world aviation is affected.

Funnily enough, one of the reasons Heathrow grew to be the world hub, is because it normally has temperate weather and snow free runways!
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - Stuartli
>>Manchester airport is a third the size of Heathrow, it is remote, provincial, unimportant.>>

Utter piffle.

In fact pure unadulterated piffle...:-)

I recall once being at Manchester airport to catch the first BA Shuttle of the day to Heathrow.

It never made it off the ground as about half-an-inch of snow had fallen on Heathrow and caused utter chaos, including cancellation of flight arrivals and departures.

Not impressive.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 21 Dec 10 at 15:18
Rattle, do you have an inferiority complex about Manchester? you have to keep bigging it up.
Heathrow further flight delays and cancellations are likely over the coming days and beyond. The airport is operating a reduced schedule until 06:00 on Thursday 23 December.
Gatwick's runway is open and operations are returning to normal. Knock-on delays and cancellations are likely throughout the day.
Birmingham airport is open but there are some delays and disruption to normal services. Some flights may be subject to cancellation due to weather at the destination airport.
Stansted is open and operating as normal.
Newcastle is open though flights are subject to delays.
Aberdeen is currently experiencing cancellations and delays.
Edinburgh is open though flights are subject to delays and/or cancellations.
Glasgow is open and the runway is clear. Most flights are operating, however some airlines are experiencing cancellations or delays due to snow at other airports.
Manchester is open.
Dublin has resumed flight operations

According to the Foreign Office Website.Manchester's entry is a bit like Earth's entry in the HHGTG - Earth - Mostly Harmless...
Oh No! Is that a Vogon Constructor Fleet coming over the horizon?

No, its a fleet of aircraft seeking safety from the frozen ravages of the incompetent south.
Alas, they will take one look at the Arndale ans scatter to Paris.
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - AnotherJohnH
>> Never mind the planes jump on the Trains.......................................

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12049884

Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - madf
There's nothing wrong with Manchester.................................

That a return visit from the Luftwaffe won't cure..:-)

Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - Falkirk Bairn
High speed trains?

We are a small island and what we really need is reliable trains - trains that leave and arrive on time, winter and summer.

Typical journey, 30 min travel to station, ticket office etc, wait 10 minutes, journey 90 minutes, travel to destination in city say 30 minutes. Overall time 160 minutes - if we spend billions on faster trains we might knock say 20 minutes off the journey time, a 33%+ improvement. However if you look at the lapse time of 160 minutes the improvement is about 12%

I would settle for a clean train leaving and arriving on-time.

In the last 3 weeks my son has travelled by train 4 times out of 15 days - frozen points, signalling, breakdown of diesel train...................... and it is only a 25 mile journey
Yes the weather is playing havoc with the railways and the freezing temp is the real problem but i'll tell you this i for one was sent out through the night to run trains up stood in sidings and stations just so they were ready for the morning & it's been done every night through this cold spell.

We are trying & those overheads are nowt to do with the train companies nor are the signals and points.
 Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - movilogo
We should have backup trains with steam/diesel locos for winter.

It is better to have slow trains than no trains at all.

A family member caught the Virgin Rail 11-07am from Euston to Liverpool Lime Street last week.

It left right on time, made two scheduled stops and rolled into Lime Street at its stated arrival time of 1-15pm.

Two hours and eight minutes is quick enough for most people considering the distance involved.

Manchester Airport - The London media have kept... - hobby
>> High speed trains?
>>
>> We are a small island and what we really need is reliable trains - trains
>> that leave and arrive on time, winter and summer.

FB I've been saying that for years but the problem is that the MPs who make these decissions want something to show for their investemnt... A mainly electrified and reasonably reliable railway won't turn any heads... a HS line will, even though its a waste of money... You keep telling them m8!!

BTW you've got your chance as SMPs are now clammering for HS2 to go to Scotland... get up there and tell 'em to spend the money more sensibly on re-opening other lines!!
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 21 Dec 10 at 15:28
>> >> Never mind the planes jump on the Trains.......................................
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12049884
>>
>>
>>

The Beeb actually reported that as the "ECML is shut!" first thing this morning... As we also use about half of the line for our trains I had to check up on that one... The truth was it was shut from Peterborough to London... Now whether that was just a slip-up by the Beeb, or if they really thought that anything north of Peterborough doesn't exist, or is not worth bothering about, I'm not sure and will leave to your imagination...

Anyhow we are carrying their passenegsr for them!!
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 21 Dec 10 at 15:23
>>Anyhow we are carrying their passenegsr for them!!>>

Isn't this the service affected by an overhead power line coming down?
Nope, we run north of Doncatser on the ECML and are diesel powered so something that far south doesn't affect us unless an ECML train ends up blocking us, which it shouldn't! Our trains run from Penzance to Aberdeen and Bournemouth to Manchester... and avoid London! We can take the paseengers up to Scotland and take them to Derby or Brum where they can get to London.
Aha Cross Country then :) Tell your bosses Voyagers are evil!! When I was down the south West I would dread one of them turning up, and much prefered the IC125s.

Anyway with regard to this media bias thing it happened in the North West too. In the 70's and Granda were accused of ignoring Liverpool in favour of Manchester so they moved one of the news studies to the Albert Docks. It lasted above 15 years but closed when This Morning moved south.

Now the North West news is from Manchester again but they seem to have sorted out the Manchester bias. Or Manchesterford as some call it!
I agree to a certain extent Rattle, have you been on the Meridians? They are Voyagers but where they learned from our mistakes (they are run by East Midlands Trains)... We are hoping for a half-life refurb which may help! As for 125s and Mk3s, sorry but I feel they are well over-rated, the best coach BR ever did was the Mk2 - you'd have seen them on the Londons from Manchester...
Latest Forum Posts