Non-motoring > Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 15

Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - rtj70
In case people didn't realise but Google Maps 5.0 is out on Android. Has been for a few days. The phone might not spot a new version via the Android Market because it was pre-installed. That was the case on my phone.

Google Maps 5.0 brings a few improvements, mainly:

- Vector based maps for Android 2.x phones (so no downloading tiles) and therefore redrawing maps/zooming smoother.
- Vector based maps means less data transmitted
- Caching off maps - not checked how big an area would be cached.

It also can show 3d buildings for some cities (USA though) and can tilt the map 3D style.

It will probably come to the iOS devices from Apple soon(?).
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - DP
Excellent. I will pull this down later! :-)
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - Statistical Outlier
Already posted in Computer, but might get more people noticing here.

Lonely Planet are giving away iPhone city guides for free download for the next 48 hours to help stranded travellers. Gizmodo have links to all 13 on iTunes here: tinyurl.com/2vcq5n4
Last edited by: Statistical Outlier on Tue 21 Dec 10 at 14:41
Now downloaded and installed on my HTC. Will try it out on the way home tonight.
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - Zero
>> Already posted in Computer, but might get more people noticing here.
>

Thanks So, but it has no cities I plant to go to any time soon!
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - BobbyG
Rtj70, you now know to expect an email soon don't you :)
Not you sending spam to me about Facebook are you that is actually a phising website?

The fake message sends you here if you did click on a link:

kadege.freehostia.com/crackle.html

DO NOT CLICK ON IT.

Google Maps 5 seems to draw maps faster/better. Still have Google Navigation in Beta though.

Link made non-clickable - see below
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 18:38
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - BobbyG
Nope?? Not that I know of anyway - you receiving emails claiming to be from me?
No - but I got an email claiming to be from Facebook. It was a warning which is in a new thread.

Easy to spoof though. Sorry if I worried you Bobby.
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - Suppose
>> kadege.freehostia.com/crackle.html
>>
>> DO NOT CLICK ON IT.
>>

rtj - I thought you said you were a long established IT expert.

Why do you persist in publishing clickable links and then SHOUTING at people NOT TO CLICK ON IT?

I say persist, because you did it before here
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=4205&m=90161
Last edited by: Suppose on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 18:37
 Google Maps 5.0 (for Android) - Pezzer
Yes thanks I have it already although havent used in anger yet - the caching of the maps should help the Nav. I picked it up off the Android/Desire forums.

On a motoring related subject have you seen TrafficEye which allows you to look at the Traffic Camera feeds on major roads. I've found it quite useful to work out if the Traffic is backed up on the way home (M27).
Used it on the way home last night.
Scenery mapping / drawing seems a lot faster, and there's a lot less lag on the navigation. Passing under motorway bridges for example happens in real time on the screen, whereas in the previous version it always seemed a second or two behind. The auto zoom at junctions and roundabouts works really nicely.
As with the previous version, I love the way the navigation voiceover lists not only the road number needed at a junction or roundabout, but lists the towns and places on the signposts. That said, some of the pronunciation is quite amusing. Reading for example, is pronounced "reeding", as in present participle of the verb. :-)
The way TomTom (later version with Text to Speech) do signs a lot better and sound a lot better IMO.

I've not found navigation any better - maybe you had an older version?
The navigation used caching already - this is just a maps update. It's a lot better.

I've found TrafficEye useful especially if you create bookmarked lists and view them as thumbnails. Someone mentioned this on here before. I also use the RAC Traffic app too.
Another upgrade tip for Samsung Galaxy S owners. There is an updated version of Android 2.2 Froyo available now. Upgrade via the KIES application on a PC.

I've not looked into what the upgrade fixes to be honest. Apple would let you know about new firmware via the sync process with iTunes. Android should have something similar.

I might just consider putting on a vanilla Android install at some point.
But I should point out any customisation to the home screens will be lost...
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Dec 10 at 18:40
Latest Forum Posts