Non-motoring > Metal detectors & finds. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 17

Metal detectors & finds. - Bigtee
Quite fancy a C scope cs3-mx is the model price range.

Not done this since i was about 12 but just been on you tube looking at finds found in Belgium of ww2 relics, Not going to find much of that here but the bug is bitting & santa has yet to treat me as i have not had my christmas treat to myself yet!!

So anybody do this on here?

What starter machine would you reccomend?

I want a easy to use machine not complicated as this will just put me off, too many switches and dials is a turn off and never use again thing.

£250.00 max i think?

If im on the beach and find lets say a rifle of that used during the war obviously corroded to hell, can i keep it? or is it a firearm still with the same laws as a working gun.?
 Metal detectors & finds. - TheManWithNoName
Try this place. They have a forum so might be best to pose your question on there.

www.ncmd.co.uk/

National metal detectorists council.

Some big finds have been found by first time detectorists so good luck.
I'd be interested in what you find so keep us posted.
 Metal detectors & finds. - Robin O'Reliant
I knew someone who worked in a LA's parks department. After the various fairs had visited the borough's parks he used to take a metal detector round the field the day after they left and reckoned he got his money back in coins the first summer.
 Metal detectors & finds. - Dog
I bought a Minelab Sovereign about 12 years ago and I was quite into at the time, I knew a Farmer who had some Bronze age burial mounds on his land and we all went over there one Summers evening and I found about 7 Roman sestertius of the Constantine era - we were over the moon with finding them (like little kids).

The hobby requires work and research, it's no good just going into a field willy nilly - you need to try and research what went on there 100 years ago, a 1000 years ago etc.,

Beach work can come up trumps as well - wait til they all leave, then go and find the Diamond rings (if you're lucky)

This is where I got my Minelab from ~ www.joanallen.co.uk/ad_uk.html?p=metal_detector&s=ov

Happy hunting!
Dog.

Minelab are just a bit pricey for me as a beginner there starting at £400.00 were as £250.00 is tops for me.

Yes been looking all day on you tube and some interesting finds shown and they say to do your research.

No rush will get one within next two weeks before vat whacks the price up.
 Metal detectors & finds. - Falkirk Bairn
A chap who works in the local Safari Park near Stirling bought a detector last Xmas.

First time out he parked the car walked 20 yds and discovered medieval gold jewellery which was taken to the Edinburgh museum - he got £434,000 IIRC. Not a bad hourly rate!
 Metal detectors & finds. - Zero

>> No rush will get one within next two weeks before vat whacks the price up.
>>

BigTee, despite what FB has indicated, this is not a good pension Plan.
 Metal detectors & finds. - bathtub tom
>>BigTee, despite what FB has indicated, this is not a good pension Plan.

I don't know.

I met a guy in a park (that's not why I was in the back of a police car) with a detector and got chatting. He told me he earns a lucrative amount from beach-combing when all the tourists have gone home. He also advertises locally and gets a good number of calls from people who've lost their car keys on the beach.
Zero,

You know your interested i'll come down and pick you up and we'll go hunting together i'll hover with the machine & you can dig.!!
 Metal detectors & finds. - Zero
Absolutely.

Rule No 1 of finding stuff, he who digs it, keeps it.
 Metal detectors & finds. - corax
>> Rule No 1 of finding stuff, he who digs it, keeps it.

"Two can dig better than one" (The Good(Bigtee), The Bad(Zero), and the Pugugly)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=luE6UDglb6Q&feature=related
Last edited by: corax on Thu 23 Dec 10 at 21:21
 Metal detectors & finds. - R.P.
I I I I I S s s s say.
The CS3 MX is a fine detector Bigtea, ideal for a beginner I would have thought.

I used to read this magazine every month, religiously ~ www.treasurehunting.co.uk/

There is the potential to find 'The Big One' as others have done before - put yourself in the shoes of a man say - in 43ad, 1066, 1642 etc., etc., etc. you bury your wealth hoping to retrieve it upon you return ... it's still there!!
 Metal detectors & finds. - AnotherJohnH
If you go to Europe looking for WW1/2 relics you may not need your pension plan.

www.detecting.org.uk/html/Digging_For_Relics_of_War_Danger_Warning.html
 Metal detectors & finds. - AnotherJohnH
If you go to Europe looking for WW1/2 relics you may not need your pension plan.

www.detecting.org.uk/html/Digging_For_Relics_of_War_Danger_Warning.html
 Metal detectors & finds. - Falkirk Bairn
That's the way to do it!

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225271/David-Booths-1m-gold-Stirlingshire-Amateur-treasure-hunter-finds-hoard-ancient-jewellery.html
It's like winning the Lotto, Falkirk Bairn - better even, in some ways ... when I found my Roman coins I was 'over the moon', even though they are worthless!

Another place to find treasure, is in your own garden - good place to practice as well.
Well a purchase has been made the cash was burning a hole in my pocket i now have the cs3mx i wanted and got some goodies. £239.00 for everything from a local shop so any problems straight back easier than posting and the telephone grief...

Got Headphones and cover for head of machine & a hat to keep the sun off should we get any.!!

I will report back when i try this out soon when i eventually get a day off work..
Latest Forum Posts